Sorcerers or Witches?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Which class you prefer?

• Sorcerer
    • Witch
    • I like both!
    • I don't care about either of them.

'One less skill'?

Shadowgift is a requirement if you want to use dark magic as a Witch (or any non-Sorcerer tome wielding class for that matter).

The opportunity cost is that you're sacrificing a skill slot and possibly some stats to be able to use a single tome.

Edited by Roflolxp54

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shadowgift is a requirement if you want to use dark magic as a Witch (or any non-Sorcerer tome wielding class for that matter).

The opportunity cost is that you're sacrificing a skill slot and possibly some stats to be able to use a single tome.

Who says that not using Shadowgift is a loss? That's hardly a loss seeing how Nos is the only Dark Tome in-game. And using a Tome that prevents you from critting, using offensive trigger skills and performing any kind of follow-up attack as a solo/lead attacker when your class has a very high Speed Stat will actually cut your abilities in-battle down, so Witch doesn't even need Shdadowgift to be a powerful attacker seeing how many other tomes/scrolls there are that are better when smithed. Sorcerer don't really care about that much speed since they are below-average at most on the speed tier in Fates (where everyone else using very powerful teams will prioritize on getting near 50+ Speed to not get doubled by enemies) and they can just run a tanky Wary Fighter-Nos build to win as they don't require much set-up to be a very effective top-tier threat.

Who says that not using Shadowgift is a loss? That's hardly a loss seeing how Nos is the only Dark Tome in-game. And using a Tome that prevents you from critting, using offensive trigger skills and performing any kind of follow-up attack as a solo/lead attacker when your class has a very high Speed Stat will actually cut your abilities in-battle down, so Witch doesn't even need Shdadowgift to be a powerful attacker seeing how many other tomes/scrolls there are that are better when smithed. Sorcerer don't really care about that much speed since they are below-average at most on the speed tier in Fates (where everyone else using very powerful teams will prioritize on getting near 50+ Speed to not get doubled by enemies) and they can just run a tanky Wary Fighter-Nos build to win as they don't require much set-up to be a very effective top-tier threat.

You're going off on a tangent. What I'm saying is that Witches are required to use Shadowgift in order to use Nosferatu if players were to choose to go that route. Equipping any skill imposes an opportunity cost (like the player could have equipped a different or potentially better skill over Shadowgift).

Edited by Roflolxp54

You're going off on a tangent again. What I'm saying is that Witches are required to use Shadowgift in order to use Nosferatu if players were to choose to go that route. Equipping any skill imposes an opportunity cost (like the player could have equipped a different or potentially better skill over Shadowgift).

I wouldn't call that a point-'loss'. That's more of coming with one too many skills as a class. I already know that Shadowgift is required by non-Dark Tome users to use Dark Tomes in FE installments, what you're saying isn't old news to me since I already know what you're saying. I was saying why Shadowgift doesn't really act as an overall loss for the class it comes with in Fates seeing how IS reduced the number of effective Tomes/Scrolls for higher Tome/Scroll-ranked units either by cutting the number of tomes/scrolls or giving them some pretty harsh yet needed negative effects.

It's a disadvantage compared to sorcs who don't need the skill to use that tome.

That is all.

Ok, if we were going by class analysis without applying outside factors (weapons that only that class can use, no skills from other classes, etc), then yes, Sorcerer has the advantage having access to every Tome/Scroll in-game that can be obtained without needing something another limiting factor in order to do so. 'Point'-loss could translate to anything since the word is to general and not defined to what is it meant for.

Ok, if we were going by class analysis without applying outside factors (weapons that only that class can use, no skills from other classes, etc), then yes, Sorcerer has the advantage having access to every Tome/Scroll in-game that can be obtained without needing something another limiting factor in order to do so.

That is literally what he just said.

'Point'-loss could translate to anything since the word is to general and not defined to what is it meant for.

Except in this case it was generally understood. The Witch has to lose a skill slot in order to use dark magic. Sorcerers don't.

That is all.

keep in mind that you're not only using a skill slot, but also an item slot for Nosferatu as well.

That item slot could be used for other things like Dragon Spirit, Excalibur, or Visitation/Battle Emblem.

imo its not really worth it for Witches at least.

That is literally what he just said.

Except in this case it was generally understood. The Witch has to lose a skill slot in order to use dark magic. Sorcerers don't.

That is all.

As if that wasn't clear to me right now after it was detailed that it was more of a disadvantage than a skill loss. Losing a skill slot can have a minimal impact if you can equip skills to make up for it. Yes, having to lose a possibly good skill slot for a currently useless skill can be very annoying. Going by base skills alone (so saying that we lost a valuable skill slot for another possibly good skill from another class that isn't available from that base class doesn't count here), Shadowgift doesn't really cause a lot harm to the Witch alone (if the DLC class was the unit's base class) as she is still versatile despite being a bit more handicapped.