How to begin playing hacks?

absolutely-Generic

0. Post this to the correct subforum (Fan Projects).

1. Figure out which game(s) you need ROMs of. Don't ask us where to get the ROMs from (and for ANYONE ELSE who wants to be helpful, don't even bother naming where to get it from; I'll have to warn you, and it won't be pretty). Google should have your answer.

2. Go get your ROMs. You'll want stuff without patches on it (so FE4 and FE6 should be in Japanese).

3. From there, figure out what systems your ROMs run on. FE4 is for SNES, FE6-8 are for GBA, etc.

4. Then, grab an emulator - can't really help you with SNES, but I use Visual Boy Advance for my GBA emulator.

5. Next, download the patch.

6. Make a copy of the ROM you want to patch (as in, right-click on ROM -> Copy, then right-click on window -> Paste). Always keep one copy of the original ROM, so that you don't have to redownload it. Also, rename the copied ROM to whatever the patch is called, so that you'll have an easier time finding it.

7. Download NUPS for UPS patches (again, Google to the rescue). If it's an IPS patch, use LunarIPS (or if anyone else has a better suggestion, use that).

8. Follow the instructions in NUPS/LunarIPS, and use the ROM you renamed in step 6.

9. Fire up your emulator, open the ROM you patched, and enjoy~!

I use SNES9x for snes games. It also has an autopatcher, which works like VBA's. I generaly find that it has more features than the other snes emulators. Note that some snes hacks only work with one emulater. THis fact is usualy in the documentation.

Note also that many hacks are incomplete. complete total conversion hacks include, "elibian nights", "the last promise" and "requiem". all of these are for fe7.