Unpopular FE opinions

MCProductions

Would just not liking Magvel be an unpopular opinion? Its quite a bare bones place throughout the story. The world building just isn't very detailed. You hardly hear anything about the countries you are traveling through, a lot less then you do about the countries of Elibe and Tellius.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would just not liking Magvel be an unpopular opinion? Its quite a bare bones place throughout the story. The world building just isn't very detailed. You hardly hear anything about the countries you are traveling through, a lot less then you do about the countries of Elibe and Tellius.

I don't think that would be unpopular. The worldbuilding is light and the plot basic, not to mention it only received one game. Leon and the other Grado generals are the only things in the game that I find especially good. (Which is not to say I don't like it, just that it's not one of the stronger titles).

FE 3 and 5 are the best Kaga-era games.

1,2, and 4 aren't worth playing today, and If you go to the trouble of translating old 3rd or 4th console generation SRPGs, there are far better options than FE.

FE1 can be fun to play but is very much the Kirby of FE, and like 7,8,9 it doesn't take long to see you literally can't make up enough restrictions to make the game hard.

2 can be played by mappers/romhackers for some good ideas regarding simultaneous lords and the castle, but should be avoided by everyone else, since it's a chore to play. 34x12 tile maps with only 6 enemy units, summoners, deterministic enemies which on their own somehow make camping easier than normal(boats, dragon level).

4's gameplay is atrocious, and is also really easy if you use gen 1 units like sigurd and gen 2 units like shannan. After the first wave of obvious bans, it's still only an average difficulty game, like 3/6/10, but retains the unforgivably slow enemy phase, terrible map design, backward item system, and isn't nearly as fun to experiment with different unit types as the other games, and a medium game still lets you solve the battle early enough for you to spend 5-17 extra(no real change in positioning needed during this time) minutes of watching the units move and fight. Like it for the story? Just read the transcript of the translation while playing the OST in another tab. The only games with more unused open space are zeldas

I can agree with Ashnard being one of if not the best villains in the series, but I can't bring myself to agree on Manfroy. I'm limited in how seriously I can take a guy whose plan involves incest as a critical component. Even if it did work as far as making Julius a host of Loptyr. It's still really silly and strange. I did a whole ramble once about how I rate major villains in Fire Emblem, but I don't think my top picks are unpopular compared to the ones I put in the middle or bottom.

I like skills, especially Fates' personal skills. What I don't really like is re-classing. I still feel like it ruins the unique capabilities of certain units, especially in Awakening, where you can easily make... what. Tharja a general, Kellam an assassin, and Gaius a warrior? At most I'm willing to reclass to the other side of a single class tree, but otherwise I think it's less than ideal.

I actually didn't like branched promotion either until Fates. Fates makes me feel more like I have more to gain or lose in the decision than Awakening or Sacred Stones did. Though I'd still prefer linear promotion, honestly.

I get that people don't think story matters at all, but when a story gets insultingly bad enough I find it impossible to take the gameplay seriously. Though I've only really seen that happen with the Elibe games, which had gameplay that was hard to take seriously anyway.

I actually do think Shadow Dragon had an alright story, I just haven't vocalized it that much after playing FE12, which I like more.

As much as I do like Genealogy, I really can't fault anyone for not liking its tedious gameplay or edgy story. If they don't want to play it, I don't blame them, but there are some conversations people decide to have nowadays where Genealogy should probably be acknowledged at the very least.