Turns out Atlus IS handling this game's localization

http://www.destructoid.com/nintendo-isn-t-doing-the-translation-for-tokyo-mirage-sessions-fe-in-house-356835.phtml

So, yeah. Just saw this. Considering it has been a bit of a recurring topic, I thought that I might as well make a thread for it.

Considering that the Treehouse seemed to be planning to do it around Last E3, I get the feeling Nintendo may have done this just to get it out of their way and for it to "not be their problem".

Edited by The DanMan

http://www.destructoid.com/nintendo-isn-t-doing-the-translation-for-tokyo-mirage-sessions-fe-in-house-356835.phtml

So, yeah. Just saw this. Considering it has been a bit of a recurring topic, I thought that I might as well make a thread for it.

Considering that the Treehouse seemed to be planning to do it around Last E3, I feel like this is Nintendo trying to put as much of the loss on Atlus/Sega as possible.

I don't think you know how localizing and publishing works.

I don't think you know how localizing and publishing works.

I think I do. I also know that last E3 we received info that NOA would be handling the localization, only to now find out that it's primarily done by Atlus. Considering it's no secret that the game was a financial failure in Japan, I wouldn't blame them trying to save the time and resources they'd need to localize it.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, it's ambiguous as to who is putting more money down on the localization, so I see where you're coming from.

Edited by The DanMan

Do you honestly believe that 8-4 paid the cost of localizing Awakening?

No, but they didn't have any hand in it's development, unlike Atlus. That said, my presupposition was flawed (something I alluded to in my edit); it just feels suspect how they flip-flopped from it being in-house to being done by Atlus. As it stands, it still easily could've been because they just didn't want to be bothered to work on it (though not for purely monetary reasons, as I initially assumed).

No, but they didn't have any hand in it's development, unlike Atlus. That said, my presupposition was flawed (something I alluded to in my edit); it just feels suspect how they flip-flopped from it being in-house to being done by Atlus. As it stands, it still easily could've been because they just didn't want to be bothered to work on it (though not for purely monetary reasons, as I initially assumed).

Games that are outsourced in localization are still managed by NoA, nothing about this contradicts what was said at E3.

Games that are outsourced in localization are still managed by NoA, nothing about this contradicts what was said at E3.

They way it was presented seemed to suggest as such; it was a comparatively informal announcement on-stream. There was no mention of "our friends at Atlus" or anything of the sort; they may not have decided at that point, but if they did then I kinda fail to see the reason for not saying so when they could have.

Edited by The DanMan

They way it was presented seemed to suggest as such; it was a comparatively informal announcement on-stream. There was no mention of "our friends at Atlus" or anything of the sort; they may not have decided at that point, but if they did then I kinda fail to see the reason for not saying so when they could have.

they probably got Atlus to do it Because Atlus knows Atlus games best

(programing, wrighting style, and other things)

also $5 says all of the bikini costumes have been removed as well as all underware has been replaced with short shorts

Atlus developed the game, so it makes sense they handle the localization. This isn't the first time something like this happens with Nintendo-published titles. There's no need to come up with conspiracy theories.

Because nobody really cares about who is localizing it. Just think about how long it would take to localize a massive RPG like this, that tells you all you need to know.

Isn't NoA still overseeing the localization? While it might be Atlus that does the work but ultimately it's NoA that decide what will be localized and what will be in the game etc. ?

That's how it works with every Nintendo-published title. Obviously Nintendo Treehouse can't translate everything, so they let external companies localize some of their games, mostly those not developed internally, yet as publishers, they can say what makes it into the game and what doesn't. Examples:

- Pokemon games have their localizations handled by The Pokemon Company.

- Bayonetta 2 and The Wonderful 101 were localized by PlatinumGames.

- Bravely Default/Second were published by Nintendo outside Japan by Squeare-Enix still localized them themselves.

- The Prof. Layton games and Yo-Kai Watch were also published by Nintendo outside Japan but localized by Level5.

Both Atlus and Treehouse have a pretty good reputation regarding localization or is there something I'm not aware of ? So whether it's Atlus or Treehouse, it should end up well even if the game must have been quite a challenge to localize.

Isn't NoA still overseeing the localization? While it might be Atlus that does the work but ultimately it's NoA that decide what will be localized and what will be in the game etc. ?

Well yeah, FE is Nintendo's IP and they're publishing the title so they have final say on everything. Though contrary to contrarian belief they're not some dictators so I doubt they're being strict with Atlus.

Suspected as much.

Well so far that I have seen from the the trailers and talks on the forums there will only be some costume alternations to make some outfits less skimpy and some bikinis/swimsuits are getting the axe. I haven't seen or heard anything else that will be affected.

I wonder what grudge NoA have on bikinis.

Personally I have nothing against if it's just that. Other than I'm tired of people still bitching about just anything that got touched upon.

Edited by FoliFF

• 2 months later...

When has ATLUS ever not don't the localization for a SMT game?

Snow Queen Quest in PS1's Persona Revelations which only could be played with a Gameshark...but the text is all garbled up except in battles. Thankfully, they've pre-released it on the PSP.

Edited by PuffPuff