These are my (eventual) pairings, what should be the builds?

Dededork 649

After going over this by using https://inheritance-planner.herokuapp.com , and the wonderful community of GameFAQs, I have pretty much finalized my pairings for my next Birthright playthrough. They go something like this (also for reference, my avatar will have Fighter talent, and +Skl, -Mag.)

Max stat order is Strength, Magic, Skill, Speed, Luck, Defense, Resistance

Avatar x Scarlet (5/-2/5/1/0/3/-2)
Jakob x Sakura (3/1/2/3/-1/-2/1)
Kaze x Mozu (-1/1/4/5/0/0/0)
Silas x Rinkah (1/1/1/2/0/3/0)
Hinata x Azura (2/1/1/2/1/0/1)
Ryoma x Kagero (5/1/2/1/2/-2/0)
Takumi x Oboro (3/0/5/0/1/2/-2)
Azama x Hinoka (4/-3/0/3/1/1/3)
Saizo x Hana (3/1/5/1/0/-1/0)
Kaden x Setsuna (2/1/-1/6/1/-2/1)
Subaki x Felicia (-2/3/3/0/0/3/1)
Hayato x Orochi (1/5/2/1/1/-2/1)

For Kana, with the nice caps of 5 extra Strength, 5 extra Skill, and 3 extra Defense from marrying Scarlet, I want to make her some sort of Wyvern Class, probably Wyvern Lord, as it highlights those stats. For skills, I'll get Axefaire from Berserker, Trample from Malig Knight, and Aether and Warp from DLC. Have her marry Shiro for Life and Death, which sounds promising. 63% growth in Strength and Skill is also phenomenal.

For Rhajat, as she's a crazy, powerful mage, she flourishes as a Witch, which is what I want to make her. Shadowgift for Nosferatu (I think you can find in Museum Melee or I can grind my Battle Rank), Tomefaire I take from Onmyojii when reclassing, Warp because it's WARP, Aether from scrolls, and something from a MyCastle.

Those are the only two I've really went over what to do with. Thoughts? (Also, first post / topic)

Edited by Dededork 649

Caeldori: I'd advise A+'ing her with Sophie, as she can pick up Elbow Room (+3 damage regardless of weapon/damage type as long as you're on terrain without effects, which is common in many maps), as well as optionally Luna and Armored Blow (can be combined with her own natural Warding Blow). That and Cavalier has lances and swords, which happen to be the two weapon types that Hinoka!Caeldori gets weapon-faires for.

For everyone else. . .have a couple of options

Dwyer - He might be able to pull off mixed. If you go this route, have him pick up Ignis from Grandmaster. Otherwise, have Sakura pass whatever amuses you, whether it be Darting Blow (great for generic leveling) or Warding Blow (if you decide to do something crazy like Great Knight). I'd probably go with one of Paladin/Great Knight as a finishing class, due to decent Strength/Speed.

Midori - You can either attempt Miracle Midori, or try to do something involving Life or Death, Spendthrift, and a -faire. I think Mozu is generally preferred for Miracle builds, but you'll have to ask someone that's not me for more details (I'm not a fan of it).

Sophie - Not sure if she has the bulk for a bruiser-type front-liner with something like Tomebreaker (have Silas A+ Jakob)/Armored Blow (she can get this herself)/Warding Blow (have her A+ Caeldori). You can also have her be silly and do something like Seal Strength (have Silas A+ Ryoma)/Seal Resistance (she can get this on her own)/Seal Defense (marry Shiro)/Seal Speed (see previous) as an Oni Chieftain. Might want to grab Wary Fighter if you go the second route (from another castle).

Shigure - While utility Falcoknight isn't outside of the realm of possibility, his Magic growth is, uh, bad. I'd either shoot for absolute rallybot (in which case he really needs to marry Kana for Rally Strength, have Azura A+ Sakura for Rally Luck, and Hinata A+ Kaden for Rally Magic), or you can attempt something like sword-focused Master of Arms.

Hisame - Same bases, but his personal skill is slightly better for combat purposes. You can either have him abuse his personal skill via A+ Asugi and Replicate, or you can have him do something crazy like Swordmaster/Sniper with -faire or Quick Draw (A+ Kiragi)/Duelist's Blow/Warding Blow/Death Blow/Certain Blow (Snipers OP) or Darting Blow. Hell, bow-based Kinshi Knight, caps be damned (though the crit chances will be lower).

Shiro - He's gonna hit pretty hard, but his odds of doubling are pretty low. You can either go all-out damage with Quick Draw (have Ryoma A+ Takumi), Death Blow (have Kagero A+ Rinkah), -faire (Shiro can get this himself), Aggressor (hello Dread Fighter), and Life or Death (again, Shiro can get off his butt and do this one himself), or you can attempt something funnier, like Seal Strength/Seal Speed/Shurikenfaire/Death Blow (see the last mention of this skill)/Replicate. . .on a Master Ninja with a Barb Shuriken. His job is to debuff as many units as possible. . .if he doesn't crit their face in first.

Kiragi - Not my favorite pairing due to bias, but it's workable. You can either go for the YOLO build (Spendthrift/Life or Death via A+ Ryoma/Quick Draw/Bowfaire/Aggressor or Certain Blow), abuse the everloving daylights out of his personal skill (Replicate/Miracle via marrying Mitama/Profiteer/Salvage Blow because Rinkah is a gold mine of funny skills/Quixotic. . .but, uh, don't do this in PvP), or something a little more sane. . .which would probably involve Sniper and Certain Blow.

Mitama - Wow. . .what did Mitama ever do to you? Like, this shafts her otherwise amazing physical mod HARD. Ah, screw it. . .might as well take advantage of being a Maid, with Live to Serve/Inspiration/Demoiselle/Amaterasu (A+ Caeldori)/Duelist's Blow (have Felicia A+ Hana) or Replicate. Maybe she can debuff something when she's not patching people up. . .and with Inspiration/Demoiselle, she just might get her personal skill to go off.

Selkie - If you want to double a lot more things, have Setsuna A+ Hinoka and pass down Darting Blow, and have her marry Hisame for Swordmaster. The rest of the skills will be something like Swordfaire/Duelist's Blow/Certain Blow/Vantage. Combine this with a Raider Katana, and you're looking at +9 effective Speed on your turn (+5 from Darting Blow, +1 from katanas, +3 from Raider weapons). Or she can be a cute little player-phase oriented fox girl with Duelist's Blow (have Kaden A+ Hinata)/Darting Blow or Warding Blow (have Setsuna A+ Hinoka)/Certain Blow/Quick Draw/Rend Heaven.

Caeldori - She can either go full-tilt offensive Falcoknight/Spear Master with Lancefaire/Darting Blow/Vantage/Duelist's Blow or Warp/Rend Heaven, or she can A+ Sophie and be a roaming player phase tank with Darting Blow (this is to prevent being doubled than to actually double)/Duelist's Blow/Warding Blow/Armored Blow or Rend Heaven (if you think Cael's tanky enough as-is)/Certain Blow or Quick Draw (have Hinoka A+ Setsuna).

Asugi - Assuming his mum is Hana. I'd shove him in Mechanist, because those mods scream sniping. Tempting as it is, I'd stay away from Vantage, due to his personal healing him (right out of Vantage range, if you're not careful). If you want a sniping build, have Hana A+ Setsuna for Certain Blow, and abuse the Spy's Shuriken. Since he's got the Skill for it, I'd A+ him with Shiro for Rend Heaven - Spy's Shuriken will proc it, and the stat debuffs are excellent. You can round it off with something like Shurikenfaire/Seal Speed/Wary Fighter (go buy this, Asugi ain't doubling any year soon).

I'm sure there's other ideas out there. . .this is just my two cents.

Darting Blow doesn't work defensively…. it boosts your ability to double attack, but not your ability to avoid being double attacked.

Huh. Pure offense, it is. For, uh, science. . .do you know if it stacks with Excalibur?

For everyone else. . .have a couple of options

Dwyer - He might be able to pull off mixed. If you go this route, have him pick up Ignis from Grandmaster. Otherwise, have Sakura pass whatever amuses you, whether it be Darting Blow (great for generic leveling) or Warding Blow (if you decide to do something crazy like Great Knight). I'd probably go with one of Paladin/Great Knight as a finishing class, due to decent Strength/Speed.

Midori - You can either attempt Miracle Midori, or try to do something involving Life or Death, Spendthrift, and a -faire. I think Mozu is generally preferred for Miracle builds, but you'll have to ask someone that's not me for more details (I'm not a fan of it).

Sophie - Not sure if she has the bulk for a bruiser-type front-liner with something like Tomebreaker (have Silas A+ Jakob)/Armored Blow (she can get this herself)/Warding Blow (have her A+ Caeldori). You can also have her be silly and do something like Seal Strength (have Silas A+ Ryoma)/Seal Resistance (she can get this on her own)/Seal Defense (marry Shiro)/Seal Speed (see previous) as an Oni Chieftain. Might want to grab Wary Fighter if you go the second route (from another castle).

Shigure - While utility Falcoknight isn't outside of the realm of possibility, his Magic growth is, uh, bad. I'd either shoot for absolute rallybot (in which case he really needs to marry Kana for Rally Strength, have Azura A+ Sakura for Rally Luck, and Hinata A+ Kaden for Rally Magic), or you can attempt something like sword-focused Master of Arms.

Hisame - Same bases, but his personal skill is slightly better for combat purposes. You can either have him abuse his personal skill via A+ Asugi and Replicate, or you can have him do something crazy like Swordmaster/Sniper with -faire or Quick Draw (A+ Kiragi)/Duelist's Blow/Warding Blow/Death Blow/Certain Blow (Snipers OP) or Darting Blow. Hell, bow-based Kinshi Knight, caps be damned (though the crit chances will be lower).

Shiro - He's gonna hit pretty hard, but his odds of doubling are pretty low. You can either go all-out damage with Quick Draw (have Ryoma A+ Takumi), Death Blow (have Kagero A+ Rinkah), -faire (Shiro can get this himself), Aggressor (hello Dread Fighter), and Life or Death (again, Shiro can get off his butt and do this one himself), or you can attempt something funnier, like Seal Strength/Seal Speed/Shurikenfaire/Death Blow (see the last mention of this skill)/Replicate. . .on a Master Ninja with a Barb Shuriken. His job is to debuff as many units as possible. . .if he doesn't crit their face in first.

Kiragi - Not my favorite pairing due to bias, but it's workable. You can either go for the YOLO build (Spendthrift/Life or Death via A+ Ryoma/Quick Draw/Bowfaire/Aggressor or Certain Blow), abuse the everloving daylights out of his personal skill (Replicate/Miracle via marrying Mitama/Profiteer/Salvage Blow because Rinkah is a gold mine of funny skills/Quixotic. . .but, uh, don't do this in PvP), or something a little more sane. . .which would probably involve Sniper and Certain Blow.

Mitama - Wow. . .what did Mitama ever do to you? Like, this shafts her otherwise amazing physical mod HARD. Ah, screw it. . .might as well take advantage of being a Maid, with Live to Serve/Inspiration/Demoiselle/Amaterasu (A+ Caeldori)/Duelist's Blow (have Felicia A+ Hana) or Replicate. Maybe she can debuff something when she's not patching people up. . .and with Inspiration/Demoiselle, she just might get her personal skill to go off.

Selkie - If you want to double a lot more things, have Setsuna A+ Hinoka and pass down Darting Blow, and have her marry Hisame for Swordmaster. The rest of the skills will be something like Swordfaire/Duelist's Blow/Certain Blow/Vantage. Combine this with a Raider Katana, and you're looking at +9 effective Speed on your turn (+5 from Darting Blow, +1 from katanas, +3 from Raider weapons). Or she can be a cute little player-phase oriented fox girl with Duelist's Blow (have Kaden A+ Hinata)/Darting Blow or Warding Blow (have Setsuna A+ Hinoka)/Certain Blow/Quick Draw/Rend Heaven.

Caeldori - She can either go full-tilt offensive Falcoknight/Spear Master with Lancefaire/Darting Blow/Vantage/Duelist's Blow or Warp/Rend Heaven, or she can A+ Sophie and be a roaming player phase tank with Darting Blow (this is to prevent being doubled than to actually double)/Duelist's Blow/Warding Blow/Armored Blow or Rend Heaven (if you think Cael's tanky enough as-is)/Certain Blow or Quick Draw (have Hinoka A+ Setsuna).

Asugi - Assuming his mum is Hana. I'd shove him in Mechanist, because those mods scream sniping. Tempting as it is, I'd stay away from Vantage, due to his personal healing him (right out of Vantage range, if you're not careful). If you want a sniping build, have Hana A+ Setsuna for Certain Blow, and abuse the Spy's Shuriken. Since he's got the Skill for it, I'd A+ him with Shiro for Rend Heaven - Spy's Shuriken will proc it, and the stat debuffs are excellent. You can round it off with something like Shurikenfaire/Seal Speed/Wary Fighter (go buy this, Asugi ain't doubling any year soon).

I'm sure there's other ideas out there. . .this is just my two cents.

Thank you for this. The thing about Mitama is I want a second healer, and Felicia makes her have a neutral Mag mod. Access to Shrine Maiden and Troubadour is a god send for any healer. I had Asugi as a Ballistician for a short period in Revelation, I'll maybe attempt that here and see how it goes.

The goal with Sophie, since the only knight in Birthright is either your Avatar or Scarlet, is to have her kind of tank a lot of hits. Tomebreaker definitely works for that. Any other person who could use Dread Fighter?

Huh. Pure offense, it is. For, uh, science. . .do you know if it stacks with Excalibur?

Have not actually tested that personally yet, but my impression would be that it does. Still need to confirm.

Fortunately, a run I'm planning to do with have a Dark Mage Avatar marry Caeldori, so Kana will get both Sorcerer and Darting Blow, so I will be able to test it later.

Kana as a Malig sounds nice, but there are better choices. Yes, she will benefit from Trample and all the Malig/WyLord abilities, but you can pass those down through the parents. Life and Death though, you might just want to buy it from a skill shop, provided you can find one with L/D!Kana.

Seeing how you have yours set up, try Kana with Hisame. He'd benefit from either of the parent classes available with S, but probably the Fighter classes more. As for Kana benefitting from anything, try a friendship with Midori for the Merchant class. Farm that until you get that gold ability (Spendthrift, I think), then reclass to Hisame!Kinshi, which he should get from Azura. I'm not completely sure she can A+ with Midori though, but it doesn't hurt to try. Either way, she would benefit from Kinshi or Swordmaster more than a Malig or WyLord.

Kana as a Malig sounds nice, but there are better choices. Yes, she will benefit from Trample and all the Malig/WyLord abilities, but you can pass those down through the parents. Life and Death though, you might just want to buy it from a skill shop, provided you can find one with L/D!Kana.

Seeing how you have yours set up, try Kana with Hisame. He'd benefit from either of the parent classes available with S, but probably the Fighter classes more. As for Kana benefitting from anything, try a friendship with Midori for the Merchant class. Farm that until you get that gold ability (Spendthrift, I think), then reclass to Hisame!Kinshi, which he should get from Azura. I'm not completely sure she can A+ with Midori though, but it doesn't hurt to try. Either way, she would benefit from Kinshi or Swordmaster more than a Malig or WyLord.

Part of the reason I want Kana as a Wyvern Lord is she's basically going to take Scarlet's job while Scarlet reclasses to Berserker. And this is Birthright, the only characters I can even have as a Wyvern Lord is Corn, Corn's kid Kanna, and Crimson. I've never actually used a dominant Dragon class, I want to see how it goes. In Revelation I benched Camilla and Beruka within a few chapters, and benched Scarlet in Birthright. Spendthrift + Life and Death though. Free 20 damage. Swordmaster will be Shiro and Selkie's roles, and I'm not a huge fan of Kinshi Knights, plus I already have Kiragi and Asugi with Bows. Edited by Dededork 649

Thank you for this. The thing about Mitama is I want a second healer, and Felicia makes her have a neutral Mag mod. Access to Shrine Maiden and Troubadour is a god send for any healer. I had Asugi as a Ballistician for a short period in Revelation, I'll maybe attempt that here and see how it goes.

The goal with Sophie, since the only knight in Birthright is either your Avatar or Scarlet, is to have her kind of tank a lot of hits. Tomebreaker definitely works for that. Any other person who could use Dread Fighter?

If you really wanted another healer, I would've gone Subaki x Felicia, and had Caeldori A+ Mitama. Caeldori also has access to Falcon Knight. Another option is Saizou x Sakura, and A+ Dwyer. No Falcon Knight unless you marry him to Caeldori, but Asugi gets pretty good mods and growths out of it.

Most of your team has decent Res mods, or bad Def mods. If you want to balance your mods, Kiragi could work as a Dread Fighter, as well as Caeldori. Dwyer could work for pure anti-mage, though he's gonna blow up if a physical attack comes his way.

Edited by eclipse

If you really wanted another healer, I would've gone Subaki x Felicia, and had Caeldori A+ Mitama. Caeldori also has access to Falcon Knight. Another option is Saizou x Sakura, and A+ Dwyer. No Falcon Knight unless you marry him to Caeldori, but Asugi gets pretty good mods and growths out of it.

Most of your team has decent Res mods, or bad Def mods. If you want to balance your mods, Kiragi could work as a Dread Fighter, as well as Caeldori. Dwyer could work for pure anti-mage, though he's gonna blow up if a physical attack comes his way.

The funny thing is I originally had AzamaHinoka and SubakiFelicia, but I got talked out of it and talked into swapping the pairs. I should probably do that. (Editting OP)

I can make Caeldori do Strategist, and Mitama do... Ooh, would Merchant Mitama be any good?

Edited by Dededork 649

This is Birthright, the only characters I can even have as a Malig Knight is Corn, Corn's kid Kanna, and Crimson.

And anyone who decides to A+ or S rank with a Crimson!Kana. I've never made a bad choice in choosing classes, but even as a Malig Knight, Kana has more potential with other classes. But if it's inevitable and you choose to go Malig!Kana, keep at least a ranged axe, Raider axe, and maybe a Disrobing Gale on your person at all times.

And anyone who decides to A+ or S rank with a Crimson!Kana. I've never made a bad choice in choosing classes, but even as a Malig Knight, Kana has more potential with other classes. But if it's inevitable and you choose to go Malig!Kana, keep at least a ranged axe, Raider axe, and maybe a Disrobing Gale on your person at all times.

The goal is Beast Killer and Throwing Club for weapons when I become a Wyvern Lord. Maybe I'll just keep her like that for early classes and change her later.

The goal is Beast Killer and Throwing Club for weapons when I become a Wyvern Lord. Maybe I'll just keep her like that for early classes and change her later.

Wyvern Lord seems like a more viable class than Malig, since you don't have so much of a split between Str/Def and Mag/Res. Beast Killer is a good choice, but you don't see too many Bow Knight units anywhere, which is basically half of what would be a double edged confrontation. Of course there's still Kinshi Knights you have to watch out for, so Beast Killer would be useful for that. As for Throwing Club, I don't think you can get enough speed on that thing to double attack. It's not the best choice, but for a ranged weapon it will do.

TL;DR: Wyvern is more viable, try a Javelin to replace the ranged Axe and use a 1 Rng Axe.