Why is it ok to make fun of certain illnesses but not others?

EricaofRenais

How do you know they weren't diagnosed? I was diagnosed and then undiagnosed with ADD when I was in high school, and I've had professionals occasionally wonder if I might be (seems I've got something else). I'm not sure how easy it is to judge someone based on their usage of a phrase. I sometimes use the phrase "sorry I'm a bit ADD" sometimes when I overlook something. It's not to make an excuse or get attention, it's more like a habitual explanation (about as much thought goes into it as saying "excuse me" at those times).

I'm pretty ignorant about the condition myself, and I'm not even educated on the distinction between ADD and ADHD, but you seem pretty quick to make an assumption about someone else.

It's generally impossible to know who has and hasn't been diagnosed with a condition on a internet forum unless they explicitly say so. I, for example was diagnosed and treated for OCD, starting in 1999, but I'm more likely to say "I have OCD" or passively blame my OCD for my foibles than bring up my medical history. It's also impossible to know whether these people are being honest or just making things up.

Edited by Rezzy

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People who self diagnose piss me off to no end, especially those who diagnose themselves with autism or Asperger's. You're not a professional. You cannot give yourself an accurate diagnosis. And yeah, I think a lot of people do it to get attention and/or special treatment.

I agree. It makes light of the negative effects it has on those living with the disability/condition. It should not be considered as a label because you're quirky or whatever.