Anyone else playing Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow from the eShop?

Anacybele

I can't though, I haven't yet gotten access to Saffron City. You need to find the coffee or whatever to give the gate guards...

I got my team to level 35-36 after clearing the routes east and west of Fuschia City, it's still not enough for Koga though. :(

Also "promote cavalier"? This isn't FE, dude. :P

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't though, I haven't yet gotten access to Saffron City. You need to find the coffee or whatever to give the gate guards...

I got my team to level 35-36 after clearing the routes east and west of Fuschia City, it's still not enough for Koga though. :(

Also "promote cavalier"? This isn't FE, dude. :P

In Yellow I think you just need one of the vending machine drinks to give to a guard.

Really? I recall having to get coffee or tea or something from an old lady in FR/LG...

That's only in FR/LG. RBY just requires a vending machine drink.

Edited by Konnor97

...Well, that's odd to me. I wonder why it was completely changed. Maybe to help players not access Saffron too early?

Edited by Anacybele

...Well, that's odd to me. I wonder why it was completely changed. Maybe to help players not access Saffron too early?

Probably. If you just needed a vending machine item in FR/LG, you could just have it traded to you, and it would let you skip Cut and go to Celadon for the Game Corner pokemon/Eevee as soon as Cerulean.

Edited by Konnor97

Gen 1 is a bit more open world than other Generations.

For example, you can challenge Blaine from the moment you get Surf.

And you can go all the way to Indigo without fighting Surge.

You can liberate Silph from moment you get to Celadon.

Think of Gen 1 as a open world game.

Well yeah, I noticed that much. But given the levels of each gym leader's Pokemon, it still seems like the game wants you to battle them in a certain order.

Well yeah, I noticed that much. But given the levels of each gym leader's Pokemon, it still seems like the game wants you to battle them in a certain order.

I think they did that not because of gyms, but rather to give the player access to a wider variety of Pokemon.

Still haven't fought Surge yet. Just filling out my Pokedex, and I've hit forty so far. I think I may soon hit fifty, which includes trading to evolve Kadabra, Graveler, and trading for Weedle, Meowth, and Ekans. I don't plan to evolve my starter trio yet, though. Saving them for last since they'll be on my main team. So, around the time I get Dratini.

I think they did that not because of gyms, but rather to give the player access to a wider variety of Pokemon.

Yeah, that's a good possibility too.

I went to the Safari Zone for the first time to see some more Pokemon (I like to see every Pokemon before catching them all). I only got to see Tauros out of what I hadn't seen yet, but it's something. :P

If memory serves, don't you find the warden's teeth here too? I'll have to go back and find them, and hope I don't waste too much money doing so. >.>

Yeah, that's a good possibility too.

I went to the Safari Zone for the first time to see some more Pokemon (I like to see every Pokemon before catching them all). I only got to see Tauros out of what I hadn't seen yet, but it's something. :P

If memory serves, don't you find the warden's teeth here too? I'll have to go back and find them, and hope I don't waste too much money doing so. >.>

Yep, and Surf.

That may be one reason to change things up, but I think the reason was also that money is a limited resource until you have access to the Elite 4 or have a Pokemon that knows Pay Day. As far as Pay Day goes, Pokemon Blue is the only version with wild Meowth who learns Pay Day without a TM. If you spent all your money there's no rematches. It's rare but you could be broke and then make the game essentially unwinnable. That would be inconceivable to most, but I can imagine there may have been frustrated children. Likewise, the Safari Zone is a mandatory activity in gen 1 and is another potential area where you could run out of money and have to restart.

Well, thankfully, I've managed to find the teeth and Surf in just one more trip there. Yayz!

I also did a bit more grinding and just cleared the Silph Co.! My team is lv. 39-40 and Ponyta evolved so I now have my final team. :D

Is it just me though, or is Gary way easier in Yellow than in Red or Blue or even FR and LG? I had a lot more trouble with him in FR/LG and am just steamrolling him in Yellow. Also, he had a Jolteon, but I lost one of the first two battles with him. I was told that if I lost one and won the other, he'd have a Flareon. What's going on here?

Another thing, I noticed that all the trainers in the Fuschia gym are using Psychic type Pokemon and not Poison types. What's up with that? Was this an oversight by GameFreak?

My team tho:

Pikachu lv. 40

Rapidash lv. 40

Nidoqueen lv. 39

Blastoise lv. 39

Fearow lv. 40

Venusaur lv. 39

Edited by Anacybele

Is it just me though, or is Gary way easier in Yellow than in Red or Blue or even FR and LG? I had a lot more trouble with him in FR/LG and am just steamrolling him in Yellow. Also, he had a Jolteon, but I lost one of the first two battles with him. I was told that if I lost one and won the other, he'd have a Flareon. What's going on here?

Another thing, I noticed that all the trainers in the Fuschia gym are using Psychic type Pokemon and not Poison types. What's up with that? Was this an oversight by GameFreak?

Actually, going by what you said on page 2, you lost the route 22 fight but then retried and won, so I guess it took that result in regards to Eevee's evolution.

I don't think it's an oversight. The Juggler trainer class prefers to use Psychic types because of their trickery I guess. Maybe they didn't want to bring in Jr. Trainers to use the Nidoran lines, or Picnickers/Beauties for Glooms/Weepinbells. Maybe it's to keep you on your toes in this invisible maze of a gym filled with ninjas, luring you into a false sense of security.

True, I did retry it and win. I guess that was taken into account. Oh well, I got the Eevee from Celadon, so I can evolve it into a Flareon to see/get one later.

Well, I expected the trainers to be using the Ekans line or Koffing line or Grimer line or Venonat line. Or Zubat line. But what you say makes sense too.

I beat Koga, woohoo! And all I needed was my Rapidash. It's so good in this game! I think the only thing preventing it from being broken is Fire type moves not being physical yet. And even then it can still do decent damage with them. And with its really high speed, it gets a lot of crits.

Edited by Anacybele

Nobody. Nidoqueen already has it from level-up. I didn't think it necessary to have another Body Slam user.

Though I did give Skull Bash to Pikachu (he's weak compared to everybody else, so I figured I'd give him a powerful move. Plus Smash reference) and he also got Thunder via level up.

I also gave Double-Edge and Earthquake to Nidoqueen. She's a tank so she can afford a bit of recoil damage from the former.

Edited by Anacybele

Yeah, but I think I have only one other Pokemon that can learn it (Blastoise). I could replace Bite with it though...

Oh yeah, since I have Surf and the Soul Badge, I can visit the Power Plant! I'll do that before battling Sabrina. I can find some more wild Pokemon to grind against there, and I think there are trainers to battle too if it's not any different from FR/LG. Also Zapdos.

Yeah, but I think I have only one other Pokemon that can learn it (Blastoise). I could replace Bite with it though...

Any of your team except for Fearow can learn it.

Fun fact: Hyper Beam will not have to recharge if you knock out the opposing pokemon with that attack, it misses, or breaks a substitute.

Edited by Konnor97

Fun fact: Hyper Beam will not have to recharge if you knock out the opposing pokemon with that attack, it misses, or breaks a substitute.

I'll just leave this here;

Problems+with+gen+1+not+oc+just+interest

Geez, gen 1 sure had a lot of messed up stuff. :/ But it was GameFreak's first set of Pokemon games, so they were kind of noobs at it in their defense. And they fixed things in later games.

Also, I guess I should give Body Slam to Rapidash then, it would be pretty good on it from the sound of it.