Anyone else playing Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow from the eShop?

Anacybele

The Warden's teeth are a few feet away from the Secret House. If you've got one but not the other, you've pretty well fucked up and have to go the entire route again.

Instead of heading straight to the Secret House, continue south when you get into the area. They're right there.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know if slash has a really high crit rate as my Charizard just went a crit rampage of about 12 pokemon.

Also it sucks that there is no move deleter. Totally forgot and now Venasaur is screwed.

Wtf, there's no move deleter? That's stupid. Now I can't get rid of Pikachu's Flash. -_- I screwed it over now...

Also, why did no one tell me that you can't catch the legendaries in this game? I just frustrated myself throwing balls at Zapdos and they'd all miss. Why can't you catch them anyway? That's stupidest thing ever because of the whole "gotta catch 'em all" thing going on. And why the hell do balls miss in the first place? That's also BS...

I guess I'm going back to Saffron now to visit the fighting dojo and the gym...

Edited by Anacybele

Missing is about the same as the ball simply wobbling. You'd best try putting them to sleep-the Legendaries are mostly just really frustrating to catch more than they are impossible.

As for the Move Deleter...well, it is unfortunate. This is why I tend to stick with designated HM slaves, hence why I have a second Mew for everything that isn't Surf.

Edited by Dai

I don't have any sleep moves, and they suck anyway. Sleep Powder and Hypnosis both have poor accuracy. And legendaries are pretty much never not frustrating to catch, you know, unless they're given high catch rates for story purposes. But I lowered Zapdos's HP into the red and none of the many Great Balls I threw at it would get it. That's not fair. You'd think at least a few of them would've gotten it inside...

You could always try Spore, which has 100% accuracy, but Paras/ect is unlikely to get it off before getting killed. Your best bet is definitely Hypnosis, and probably something like Haunter/Gengar. You could also try FREEZING the two that aren't Articuno.

Catch rates in Gen I are super funky, Ana. Gonna put this nice little summary of the mechanics in a spoiler

[spoiler=spoilered for length]First of all, regardless of anything else, if the targeted Pokémon has a status affliction, you get a set extra chance to capture it depending on the status and the Pokéball you're using, before the game even starts checking the Pokémon's HP and whatnot.These chances are listed in the following table:

Ball PSN/PAR/BRN SLP/FRZ

Poké Ball 12/256 = 4.69% 25/256 = 9.77%

Great Ball 12/201 = 5.97% 25/201 = 12.44%

Ultra Ball 12/151 = 7.95% 25/151 = 16.56%

Your overall chance of capturing the Pokémon if it has a status affliction will never be less than the chance stated above, even if it's a legendary at full health - this is a check the game applies before it even looks at the HP or catch rate, after all. This makes status by far the most viable way of increasing your chances of getting a legendary - the improvements to be made by lowering their HP are frankly negligible in comparison. (The chance of catching an average full-HP sleeping Mewtwo in an Ultra Ball is 17.45%; the chance of catching an average 1-HP sleeping Mewtwo in an Ultra Ball is 19.21%.)

Second of all, lowering a Pokémon's HP below one third has no effect at all on its catch rate. If you're using Great Balls, in fact, that cutoff point is at one half rather than one third. Painstakingly shaving off slivers until the HP bar is one pixel wide is and always has been waste of time in R/B/Y. When a Pokémon is down to the cutoff point, you are twice as likely to capture it as if it were at full health if you're using a Great Ball, and three times as likely if you're using any other ball.

Third, Great Balls are actually better than Ultra Balls for Pokémon with no status afflictions or that have an intrinsic catch rate of 200+, provided they're at around half of their health or more. The difference is slight (but still there) for non-statused Pokémon with low catch rates, such as legendaries, but at high catch rates, Great Balls are very noticeably superior to Ultra Balls, even with status afflictions. Ultra Balls, meanwhile, truly shine at catching statused Pokémon with low intrinsic catch rates, and for low-health Pokémon they're always at least as good as Great Balls.

Fourth, wobbles are a loose indicator of the game's approximation of your chances of capturing the Pokémon at the current status and HP with the current ball. This approximation can be significantly flawed, especially when status or high catch rates are involved, but I would guess accuracy wasn't particularly a priority for the programmers, considering it's just determining how many times you'll see a ball wobble on the screen before a breakout. Roughly:

Wobbles Message Approximated chance of capture

0 "The ball missed the POKéMON!" < 10%

1 "Darn! The POKéMON broke free!" 10-30%

2 "Aww! It appeared to be caught!" 30-70%

3 "Shoot! It was so close too!" >= 70%

And there's even a neat calculator for RBY that can tell you how likely you are to catch that Pokemon. I guessed a little on the HP, but it should be fairly accurate

[spoiler=It's a little big]mlFkwqm.png

Edited by Kon

Wow, that is super funky. I mean, Great Balls being better than Ultra Balls in some instances? Geez.

Thanks for showing me this, Kon. It's helpful!

I know you mentioned this a while ago, but Gary in your game has Jolteon, right? Even though you lost a battle with him right?

Which battle did you lose? And did you battle him again, after you lost? Because if you lost one battle, but had a rematch and won, it will not count as a loss.

Meaning you had two wins, and thus Gary evolves Eevee into Jolteon.

I lost the Route 22 battle and rebattled him (for more exp). I thought the initial loss would count, but now I know it doesn't.

Ah, so that's why you got Jolteon.

Yeah, only the result of the final battle count.

By the way, are you planning to catch the legendary birds?

Because Moltres in Red, Blue and Yellow is in a different place than Fire Red and Leaf Green.

Yeah, I know Moltres will be in a different place because no Sevii Islands. :P

I'd like to catch the birds, though, yeah. So where is Moltres in this case? I haven't looked it up yet. I'm guessing Cinnabar Island?

Anyway, Sabrina's beaten! I thought she was supposed to be difficult though? I oneshot or twoshot her whole team, even while they were using Reflect/ X Defense. Though it was due in part to Rapidash and its constant crits. And the fact that the Abra line are very easily beaten by physical attacks, I guess. But off to the Seafoam Islands and Cinnabar Island!

Edited by Anacybele

Believe it or not, Moltres is actually in Victory Road. Though I can't recall how to make your way over to him atm.

And critical hits ignore any stat buffs they would have put up, so Reflect/X Defenses do absolutely nothing for them

Moltres is actually at Victory Road.

Remember that in the Fire Red/Leaf Green version of Victory Road, there's a dead end that has a circle markings in it?

That's where Moltres is in the original games.

Are you going to Seafoam Islands?

It's layout and Strenght puzzles in Red, Blue and Yellow are pretty much the same as Fire Red and Leaf Green.

Ah, Victory Road, kay. I'm not all that surprised, it wouldn't be the only time a legendary Pokemon is found there (see Terrakion).

And I just said I was going there, Water Mage. xP

Kon: I think I did notice that, actually. But wow lol.

Ah, Victory Road, kay. I'm not all that surprised, it wouldn't be the only time a legendary Pokemon is found there (see Terrakion).

And I just said I was going there, Water Mage. xP

Kon: I think I did notice that, actually. But wow lol.

I know, but I thought you might go to Cinnabar first, by Pallet Town.

But if you're going from Fuschia, here's something interesting:

In Route 19's beach you can actually play the surfing Pikachu minigame, as long as you have your starter Pikachu. I don't think Pikachu learns Surf, however.

And speaking of dungeons layouts, Cerulean Cave's layout changes every game, the layout from Red and Blue is different from the one in Yellow, and the one Fire Red/Leaf Green is also a new layout. The same holds true from Heart Gold and Soul Silver.

EDIT: My mistake, the layout from Fire Red and Leaf Green is the same as JP!Red and JP!Green's layout.

Edited by Water Mage

Yeah, I just tried that surfing Pikachu game, I couldn't figure out how it works. lol I saw something about the control pad flash on the screen, but that's it. lol

But yeah, I'm going from Fuschia. I always did it that way so I could check out the Seafoam Islands and get lots of battling and exp in. I can find some more Pokemon there too (Seel and Dewgong come to mind).

I love just how many Pokemon there are available to me before I fight Lt. Surge, and before I head west of Cerulean City. Without passing level thirty (and without training or evolving Bulbasaur, Charmander, Jigglypuff, Oddish, and Bellsprout) I've managed to register forty-eight Pokemon into my Pokedex.

I've only got 30 and I've beaten the league AND caught all four legendaries. lol Good job, Dai.

Oh, and by the way, those birds weren't as frustrating as you guys made them out to be. I actually caught them all pretty quickly and without sleep moves. But maybe I just got really lucky, who knows? I used the Master Ball to get Mewtwo. A lot of players probably did back in the old RBY days, I imagine. Plus I wanted to save myself a little trouble and shiny Pokemon didn't exist yet (I typically save the Master Ball in case I run into a random shiny legendary). I'll be saving these guys for transfer to Sun. ^^

The league was pretty easy too, actually. Lance was the only one who gave me even a little bit of challenge, including Gary. Though I also got lucky against him because his Dragonite missed Thunder twice in a row vs my Blastoise and allowed Blastoise to use its last Blizzard use against it. I never found any Ice Beam TM, but I did find Blizzard, and the one post from earlier here said Blizzard actually has a 90% accuracy rate in this game, so I was like why not because Lance's damn Dragons. :P

Gary was Gary, really. For all his big talk he's such a wimp trainer. lol

Besides my team, I've also now evolved my Charmeleon to add Charizard to the dex, evolved my Eevee to Flareon, restored my Dome Fossil to Kabuto (because Kabutops >>>> Omastar), and now I'm training said Kabuto to evolution. I also caught a Staryu with it that I'll evolve once I'm done getting a Kabutops.

Edited by Anacybele

Yeah for all the levels the E4 have in this game, their moveset are very weak. That's the general theme of the game really. Depending on team I think Sabrina may be the only one remotely challenging. Of course this isn't the case in FR/LG where everyone became a lot more competent. But gen 1 is very easy.

*snip*

Congrats on beating the League and catching the legendaries.

For reference, Ice Beam is in Celadon. The little girl on the roof of the Dept. Store will give you TMs based on what vending machine drink you give her. The TMs are Ice Beam (Fresh Water), Rock Slide (Soda Pop), and Tri Attack (Lemonade). You can only get one of each.

Yeah for all the levels the E4 have in this game, their moveset are very weak. That's the general theme of the game really. Depending on team I think Sabrina may be the only one remotely challenging. Of course this isn't the case in FR/LG where everyone became a lot more competent. But gen 1 is very easy.

Yeah, I noticed, and the E4 also spammed stat boosters that didn't really affect the damage I was doing. I could take out their Pokemon before they could take advantage of the stat boosters.

But that explains why I had more trouble with FR/LG. Gary was still easy (easier than the E4, in fact), but not quite as easy as in Yellow.

Congrats on beating the League and catching the legendaries.

For reference, Ice Beam is in Celadon. The little girl on the roof of the Dept. Store will give you TMs based on what vending machine drink you give her. The TMs are Ice Beam (Fresh Water), Rock Slide (Soda Pop), and Tri Attack (Lemonade). You can only get one of each.

Ah, thanks, Konnor, on both counts. :)