Art Academy Series

Anacybele

So yeah, I think we can call Art Academy its own series/franchise now because it has three installments as of recently:

Art Academy (Wii U)

Pokemon Art Academy (3DS)

Disney Art Academy (3DS)

I downloaded the Wii U game as soon as it came out since I love to draw and color, especially fanart and certain animals. I got Disney Art Academy over last weekend and have been having a lot of fun with it! I also bought Pokemon Art Academy from Amazon and just got it in the mail today. I dunno why I didn't get it before, I think maybe I had other priorities and then I forgot. xP But I have it now and will try it out when I want a break from Disney Art Academy.

Are any other artists/gamers here playing these? I haven't actually used the Wii U game a whole lot since I've also still been doing art on the computer and on paper, but I do still hop on it occasionally. Players can feel free to share their creations from these games too. :)

What should the next Art Academy game be? Imo, it's Super Mario Art Academy, no brainer! I'm surprised we haven't seen this one announced yet, in fact. Mario is Nintendo's flagship franchise, and I'm sure plenty of people love to draw or would love to learn to draw those characters! This game would feature lessons on drawing Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, Peach, Bowser, Toad, Rosalina, and the various classic Mario enemies. And hopefully characters that have consistently appeared in the spinoff titles like Daisy, Wario, Waluigi, etc.

As for stuff I've made in the games, I've got only a couple things I feel like sharing at the moment.

My most recent Art Academy Wii U pic:

lartz__accurse_state__by_great_aether-d9

This is one of my many FE fan characters. Lartz is a Branded Dracoknight who possesses an extraordinary power. See that red aura around him? You don't want to tangle with him when he's in this state (his Accurse skill comes with downsides, though, of course, it's not as OP as it sounds lol). (his eyes are normally brown, btw, they're just red here because of the aura)

My first free paint pic in Disney Art Academy:

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHlMStY0Jg

It's Dory, because she's awesome and I had her unlocked. It's still kind of off compared to the reference image, but I like it. :) Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming, swimming...

Edited by Anacybele

When did art become a game? How do you win?

Um, since at least Mario Paint on the SNES? Art video games have been around for decades. And...you don't win? It's art.

People, this thread isn't for negativity or bashing.

Edited by Anacybele

Um, since at least Mario Paint on the SNES? Art video games have been around for decades. And...you don't win? It's art.

People, this thread isn't for negativity or bashing.

yeah, even as someone who's never played Art Academy, coming into a topic to whine about it is super childish

Agreed. Though I should've mentioned, nobody is really literally bashing anything, I was just making a generalization/warning.

I made this thread because I know we have artists (and some really great ones) on this site who might be playing these games...

I've never played an Art Academy game before, but I have been meaning to try out the Pokemon one (bigger priorities atm). I do have Mario Paint, however, I lack the mouse so I can't play it :P

It seems like a good idea to get a younger audience into art, though a coloring book and/or an art book would probably do the same thing haha.

The Art Academy games aren't called Art ACADEMY for nothing though, Power Master! They also have lessons you can play through and they can teach you a lot of things. I also find this is good practice anyway, especially when you just have your game and system handy and no other materials.

A friend got me the first one on DS when it came out. It was nice and all, but I prefer good ol' paper. It felt weird drawing on the little screen when I had a ton of pencils and paper sitting everywhere to draw with.

So yeah, it's a cute game, but I prefer traditional media.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

That's fair. I myself prefer digital art these days (one big reason being that it's easier to fix mistakes...lol), so these games are almost like a godsend for me. :P

So yeah, I think we can call Art Academy its own series/franchise now (even if they're made by different companies) because it has three installments as of recently:

Actually, all of them are developed by HeadStrong Games (Kuju Entertainment is their parent company)

And I only own Pokemon Art Academy, and I love it. It serves as a great stress reliever since I can just use it as a digital coloring book if I'm feeling too lazy to come up with a random drawing myself.

I'd really like to get Disney Art Academy, but I'm super broke now orz

Oh, really? I thought Disney Interactive made the Disney one and GameFreak made the Pokemon one and Nintendo made the Wii U one. Heh, oops. :P

Oh, really? I thought Disney Interactive made the Disney one and GameFreak made the Pokemon one and Nintendo made the Wii U one. Heh, oops. :P

Game Freak mostly only develops the mainline Pokemon games. Almost all the spinoffs are done by different companies.

If multiple companies made games with the exact same series title and layout, I'd imagine there would be a great many lawsuits thrown at people ;p

'Course if they were contracted to make them, that might be a different story

If multiple companies made games with the exact same series title and layout, I'd imagine there would be a great many lawsuits thrown at people ;p

'Course if they were contracted to make them, that might be a different story

Yeah, I assumed they were contracted to make them.

Game Freak mostly only develops the mainline Pokemon games. Almost all the spinoffs are done by different companies.

Oh? I hadn't known this either. Wow, I sure know less than I figured about some of these games I play...

I have Art Academy: Lessons for Everyone on the 3DS. It's nice but still have to contend with having a small screen to work with. Plus, a 3DS is no substitute for a drawing tablet (drawing skills don't really transfer over).

It did take some getting used to using a stylus, but I feel fine with it now. :P

Anyway, my next free paint on Disney Art Academy. It's Tramp!

He's pretty neat. I made this a bit sloppy, but it ended up better than I expected. And this was a tough one.