Do you battle save?

Enn

I was wondering what you guys/girls thought of the battle save. I told myself not to use it at the start, but part I's toughness on normal tempted me a few times. Now I find myself using it about once per level. It still feels a bit wrong though. Am I killing kittens?

Did/do you guys use it?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use it every chapter on every turns 0v0

There is no downside of using it. And it make the game less frustrating.

Not using it does not proves anything. Only people with weird ego can't see themselves using it ><

I use it every chapter on every turns 0v0

There is no downside of using it. And it make the game less frustrating.

Not using it does not proves anything. Only people with weird ego can't see themselves using it ><

Hah, I wouldn't say that.

Part of FE's appeal is that it sometimes makes you choose whether a (late) casualty is worth replaying the entire level. It adds to the feeling of being the all important commander, doesn't it? :) That moral tidbit is lost for sure with constant battle saving.

I'm a lazy person, and I don't feel like to replay a chapter when I lose my comrade (even though I still force myself to do so). Likewise, I'm also too lazy to reboot FE10 and replay from a battle save file if I lose my comrade (that menu takes more than 10 seconds to load!)

So every fight I still push out my best strategy to minimize the restarts. Which makes battle save like a insurance for me, and I am not afraid to use it XD

Once I battle saved with Haar and Ike surrounded by enemies. It was impossible for neither of them to die. I restarted the chapter.

Well in PoR, there were a lot of times where something bad would happen in the middle of the chapter and I'd have to redo the WHOLE chapter over again which really sucked. So this new feature prevents that which is very nice

Plus it's easier to abuse stat ups

Well in PoR, there were a lot of times where something bad would happen in the middle of the chapter and I'd have to redo the WHOLE chapter over again which really sucked. So this new feature prevents that which is very nice

I always considered that part of what makes Fire Emblem... Fire Emblem. The tense moments when bad planning or bad luck leave casualties to chance ("please miss please miss please miss"), knowing every mission was done as a whole when looking back on a completed run, that's FE to me.

Playing like that now is nothing short of masochism. Sure, neither of that which I mentioned is gone entirely, but it's missing some edge now.

I'm not opposed to battle saving, don't get me wrong. However, I would prefer to see the next FE installments without it.

In my first Easy Mode playthrough, I only used it once, as a replacement for Suspend. Normal however, proved to be a bit tougher, and I did spam it a bit in certain levels. Sometimes even to the point where I would use it after every move in Boss situations when the chance to hit is rather low. I think it was a pretty good addition; reducing the tedium of restarting the entire level when a unit dies due to a stupid miscalculation. (Something that happens to me quite a lot...)

I don't see why people would like future titles to be without it... You're not forced to use it. If you don't want to, don't.

I don't see why people would like future titles to be without it... You're not forced to use it. If you don't want to, don't.

I think that's putting it a little too easy. Not using something that ís there is different from not using something that isn't in that you have to actively set yourself the extra challenge. And as I said before, that would almost amount to masochism. I want those FE tensionfeatures I mentioned, but having to actively ignore battlesaves means I'll end up having to blame myself twice for failing: once for making a mistake, and once for not saving the moment before. I'd rather not even get to consider saving.

(Again, I'm not passionately opposed to this battle save. Just bringing in the mild negatives I think this feature came with.)

In that case, perhaps you should try to set a goal on limiting Battle Saves, say once or twice a level. You'd still be using the battle save and at the same time, you'd be setting yourself a considerable challenge. (Especially in later levels, when the potential for mistakes is higher.) Just a small suggestion.

Interesting points, Enn. Here's an idea. You should play chapters normally wihout it, but if you lose a character once or twice, start using it every other turn or so. On especially difficult chapters (Part 1 and 2 endgames, DB part 3 chapters, etc.), use it every turn.

I do like the suspense in knowing you can't lose a unit, but restarting a chapter when you are 9/10 of the way done is just frustrating and annoying IMO. That's why I use battle save at the BEGINNING of every turn, before ANYONE moves. If I forget and I move someone, I don't do it 'til next turn.

Enn, play FE10 on hard and the battle save will be disabled.

I would die if played in hard mode. Battle save is my BFF

I only used it as a substitute for 'Suspend'

This is normal mode. I don't think I'll use it in Hard mode either though

you kinda cant use it in hard mode. its not there

I usually battle save at the start of every turn if I'm not sure all my characters will survive. Otherwise, I'll battle save every time Micaiah gains Speed (which is almost never). But that strategy actually worked. I'm on 4-E2 right now and I finally got her to double someone (a general) for the very first time in all of my FE10 play-throughs. I fed her two speedwings though... Anyways, back on topic. I always battle save when I plan on doing something stupid and/or risky too.