Skill Inheritance (Kana)

LimberSiren

Finally am in the process of getting the children on my first playthrough (Birthright), and found something odd. Maybe I never noticed before in Awakening. Children get the skills when you start their chapter (Avatar's passing Quixotic, Scarlet's passing Pavise) and that's it. Is there an exception in Kana's case because she's an ally unit for the whole chapter? As my units leveled up, I was cycling some of their new skills out, including Quixotic from the avatar for Seal Strength (he's learning Samurai skills). I thought it was fine because Quixotic is equipped on her fine. After finishing the chapter and returning to the castle, she now has Seal Strength instead of Quixotic.

Pretty annoyed because I have to redo the chapter. Not easy when capturing the two Berserkers and while on Lunatic...

Considering that you're cycling skills around, perhaps you can try refraining from doing that when recruiting Kana. It's not like that newly learned skill is going to be immediately useful all of the time. And if Kana didn't inherit the intended skill and you accidentally saved, you can always try to find another player's castle to buy the skill.

As for the bandit twins, you can capture them in the Museum Melee DLC map if you have it (provided that they show up, of course). Also, the bandit twins don't have any skills that they can't learn otherwise so you can always get them on a lower difficulty without much penalty.

Edited by Roflolxp54

Yeah it sucks, the skills that the children get are what the parents have in the last skill slot by the end of the chapter, even if it shows on the unit during the chapter :(

I learned it the hard way when recruiting Shigure; Azura leveled up and replaced her last skill, and Shigure got that instead. Granted Shigure doesn't show up for his paralogue map, but I've heard the same report from a friend for another child unit.

Considering that you're cycling skills around, perhaps you can try refraining from doing that when recruiting Kana. It's not like that newly learned skill is going to be immediately useful all of the time. And if Kana didn't inherit the intended skill and you accidentally saved, you can always try to find another player's castle to buy the skill.

As for the bandit twins, you can capture them in the Museum Melee DLC map if you have it (provided that they show up, of course). Also, the bandit twins don't have any skills that they can't learn otherwise so you can always get them on a lower difficulty without much penalty.

Lunatic mode, so Seal Strength was useful for the map. Much more than Quixotic, as I was not running any proc skills. Was just trying to figure out if Kana inherits after the map, which seems to be the case.

I already captured the Berserkers once and already know the deal with prison units and their limited usefulness. I did indeed save after the chapter, but luckily could still use the battle save to get back. I just did it again. Swapped another skill instead of Quixotic and it worked fine.

Yeah it sucks, the skills that the children get are what the parents have in the last skill slot by the end of the chapter, even if it shows on the unit during the chapter :(I learned it the hard way when recruiting Shigure; Azura leveled up and replaced her last skill, and Shigure got that instead. Granted Shigure doesn't show up for his paralogue map, but I've heard the same report from a friend for another child unit.

That sucks. I barely was able to correct it myself, lol.

Edited by LimberSiren

It's because the Kana that shows up on the map is a completely different unit from the Kana you recruit at the end. If you talk to a kid and they turn blue during the map, then they'll have skills from the start. If they don't join until after the map's over, their skills are rolled when the map's over.

The kids appear to acquire the skills when they spawn. I got Azama to Mechanist 15 during Mitama's paralogue and when I finally got her out of the house, she had Replicate.

That's not the issue though, that's a known fact.

Might test another kid or two to confirm exactly what's the case. Kinda urked because there was no info of this (that I saw at least). Gonna assume it's as what was stated by Oshimos.

Well, if it's a known fact, then you should already be aware that "Children get the skills when you start their chapter (Avatar's passing Quixotic, Scarlet's passing Pavise) and that's it." is oversimplifying and not strictly true. The game doesn't spawn the real Kana who joins you until post-chapter, so you need to make sure your skill lists are set up appropriately. I gave Mitama as an example because the game spawns her mid-chapter (not at the beginning, right in the middle), allowing her to pretty conclusively prove the game's actual behaviour; if her skill set was generated right at the start, she would not have inherited Replicate because Azama didn't learn it until halfway through the map. This does not contradict Oshimos's statement and, in fact, expands on it, since it covers a case that he doesn't. Note that in Awakening, Laurent also spawned mid-map and Lucina doesn't spawn until the conclusion of hers, so Awakening did not strictly follow "Children get the skills when you start their chapter (Avatar's passing Quixotic, Scarlet's passing Pavise) and that's it.", either.

Well, if it's a known fact, then you should already be aware that "Children get the skills when you start their chapter (Avatar's passing Quixotic, Scarlet's passing Pavise) and that's it." is oversimplifying and not strictly true. The game doesn't spawn the real Kana who joins you until post-chapter, so you need to make sure your skill lists are set up appropriately. I gave Mitama as an example because the game spawns her mid-chapter (not at the beginning, right in the middle), allowing her to pretty conclusively prove the game's actual behaviour; if her skill set was generated right at the start, she would not have inherited Replicate because Azama didn't learn it until halfway through the map. This does not contradict Oshimos's statement and, in fact, expands on it, since it covers a case that he doesn't. Note that in Awakening, Laurent also spawned mid-map and Lucina doesn't spawn until the conclusion of hers, so Awakening did not strictly follow "Children get the skills when you start their chapter (Avatar's passing Quixotic, Scarlet's passing Pavise) and that's it.", either.

This child characters have always been determined when the playable version is generated by the game.

Luckily with skill buying Fates makes inheritance a non issue as long as someone has the skill equipped.(So Kana can literally access nearly every buyable skill legally)