More Unpopular Fire Emblem Opinions

Rezzy

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wallace IS NOT a pre-promote since he starts as a Knight, the game just forces you to use the Knight Crest in LNM

Wallace is a prepromote if you skip Lyn mode, so he counts.

My unpopular opinion may be that I like Lyn mode and never skip it.

Same here.

More power to you two. Lyn mode is one of my least favorite aspects about the game and really hurt my first impression of FE7, but this isn't a thread for popular opinions, is it?

Anyways, most of my opinions about this series and its individual components are neither unpopular here nor in the wider fanbase, but I'll still belatedly share which of mine I think are the least common:

- Lunatic+ is not bullshit and is even fun to play at times. The same applies to other Lunatic modes but Luna+ is the one I see criticized the most

- I actually like the assassin subplot in FE12

- Battle animations are underwhelming in almost every FE and I only leave them on in FE11-14 because I can skip them (and in gaiden because i like the sprite work ok)

- I kinda doubt this one is that unpopular, but the map themes are better than the combat themes barring some of FE12's boss themes

-FE7 should have ended at Cog of Destiny because it's a boring slog afterwards

-Lyn and Hector are very lame compared to Eliwood

-SD is actually pretty great

-Knights/Generals are great units

-Micaiah is a pretty great character/unit(I'm not sure if this is really unpopular, both sides are pretty loud)

-I like the stories in the Fates games

-FE stories are pretty entertaining, except FE7's

-Classic and Modern FE are equal

-'Waifuism' is a retarded thing to say about Awakening/Fates. Should the Avatar have limited support options? Why??

-I honestly don't care for the royals in Fates outside of Elise, Sakura and Xander

-Unlimited weapon usage is the best thing to happen to FE

-Subaki is a unit worth using

-'Waifuism' is a retarded thing to say about Awakening/Fates. Should the Avatar have limited support options? Why??

Probably is mostly for the focus in the shipping mechanic... Combine an Avatar with Marriage can generate... curious results... like we had seen xD

Same for me. The only time I've ever gotten Wallace was the first time I played FE7 and didn't know what I was doing

Ditto, that was the time where I basically had Marcus and Oswin solo Pirate Ship because my lords were hiding at spawn and all my other guys were dead or not recruited (Erk, Priscilla, Raven, Lucius)

Wallace is a prepromote if you skip Lyn mode, so he counts.

Sure, IF you skip Lyn Mode, but I don't, so I don't count him as a prepromote

My unpopular opinion may be that I like Lyn mode and never skip it.

I never skip Lyn's Mode because I like to use Lyn (duh), Sain, Kent, Florina, Erk, Serra and occasionally Matthew and they all need that training to be really really good

More power to you two. Lyn mode is one of my least favorite aspects about the game and really hurt my first impression of FE7, but this isn't a thread for popular opinions, is it?

Anyways, most of my opinions about this series and its individual components are neither unpopular here nor in the wider fanbase, but I'll still belatedly share which of mine I think are the least common:

- Lunatic+ is not bullshit and is even fun to play at times. The same applies to other Lunatic modes but Luna+ is the one I see criticized the most

- I actually like the assassin subplot in FE12

- Battle animations are underwhelming in almost every FE and I only leave them on in FE11-14 because I can skip them (and in gaiden because i like the sprite work ok)

- I kinda doubt this one is that unpopular, but the map themes are better than the combat themes barring some of FE12's boss themes

Here's an unpopular opinion (not sure if it is or not, but it could be) map themes (the ones that play when you're moving your units) are generally better than battle or cutscene themes

Beneath a New Light and The Path to Greatness are probably my two favourite music tracks from FE6 (And I LOVE FE6's OST), Distant Travels is my favourite song from FE7 and I love Land of Promise in FE8

I also think Awakening's two best songs are Id Purpose and Don't Speak Her Name

-FE7 should have ended at Cog of Destiny because it's a boring slog afterwards

-Lyn and Hector are very lame compared to Eliwood

-SD is actually pretty great

-Knights/Generals are great units

-Micaiah is a pretty great character/unit(I'm not sure if this is really unpopular, both sides are pretty loud)

-I like the stories in the Fates games

-FE stories are pretty entertaining, except FE7's

-Classic and Modern FE are equal

-I honestly don't care for the royals in Fates outside of Elise, Sakura and Xander

-Unlimited weapon usage is the best thing to happen to FE

-Subaki is a unit worth using

I'm playing through Birthright right now, and I decided to use Hinoka over Subaki

I disagree about FE7, not so much storywise (I never pay much attention to the story) but about the boring slog, Light is currently my favourite FE chapter, and I don't like Cog of Destiny

Sure, IF you skip Lyn Mode, but I don't, so I don't count him as a prepromote

No Lyn Mode!Wallace is objectively a prepromote though, because he comes as a General without being shown as a Knight beforehand, so unless you consider him a decent unit, there does exist a bad prepromote in FE7, whether it's relevant to your playstyle or not.

LNM!Wallace not being a prepromote is also not an uncontested notion. He arguably is because he becomes playable while a General. There's no meaning to the fact that he first uses a Knight Crest in the cutscene because it doesn't make the Wallace you get as a playable unit less directly a General. I'm not going to fuss over definitions here though.

Edited by Gradivus.

-Lyn is the strongest FE7 lord if you play Lyn mode (if you skip Lyn mode, she sucks). Hector in particular is overrated.

-Radiant Dawn is more balanced than most FEs and has a good story.

-Avatars are fine as a concept, they just need to be done better.

-Cordelia > Sumia.

-Nyx is a decent unit in Conquest. Not great, but not horrible.

-Ryoma is very good, but there are better units. I don't think I'd put him in the top 5 in Revelation, and maybe not even in Birthright.

Once upon a time I had more, but they aren't so unpopular any longer.

I'm playing through Birthright right now, and I decided to use Hinoka over Subaki

Hinoka is a better Sky Knight to me, and unit in general, being a royal and all. I think Subaki is better as a Samurai. Amazing. The first ever male Pegasus Knight and he's not that good a Pegasus Knight.

-Cordelia > Sumia.

Since when was this unpopular? Stat-wise, maybe, but in terms of character, Cordelia was voted one of the most popular Awakening characters and even has her own scale figure for fuck's sake. Sumia is personally my favorite Awakening mother, so I can only hope she gets a figure, too. I know she won't but

Also Subaki is one of the worst units in Birthright without question.
The only good thing of him is that he has a good personal skill, which saves him in the beginning at least.

-Lyn is the strongest FE7 lord if you play Lyn mode (if you skip Lyn mode, she sucks). Hector in particular is overrated.

That's less unpopular than true.

Lyn is indeed the best if you play "Lyn mode".
Hector is slow and Eliwood has the worst growths all around.

Are we playing the same game? Lyn has the worst growths of the trio except for Skill/Speed/Luck. Hector is basically Oswin with better Strength/Skill and more Move.

Edited by NekoKnight

Hinoka is a better Sky Knight to me, and unit in general, being a royal and all. I think Subaki is better as a Samurai. Amazing. The first ever male Pegasus Knight and he's not that good a Pegasus Knight.

Since when was this unpopular? Stat-wise, maybe, but in terms of character, Cordelia was voted one of the most popular Awakening characters and even has her own scale figure for fuck's sake. Sumia is personally my favorite Awakening mother, so I can only hope she gets a figure, too. I know she won't but

I'm not regretting using Hinoka, and I'm kinda happy I abandoned a few units (Kagero and Hayato) in favour of Ryoma and Scarlet (although, Ryoma's mainly been paired up with Takumi)

The only good thing of him is that he has a good personal skill, which saves him in the beginning at least.

Hector is slow? Then I must've gotten extremely speed blessed with Hector when he DOUBLED the Dragon at the end of the game

On Subaki, I guess it's better for me that I decided to use Hinoka as my flyer (although, I have quite a few now, I have Hinoka, Scarlet, Reina and I made Takumi a Kinshi Knight because extra mobility and access to Melee combat)

Are we playing the same game? Lyn has the worst growths of the trio except for Skill/Speed/Luck. Hector is basically Oswin with better Strength/Skill and more Move.

Actually if we go by Hector as a Great Lord and Oswin as a General they have equal movement

-Radiant Dawn is more balanced than most FEs and has a good story.

-Avatars are fine as a concept, they just need to be done better.

-Cordelia > Sumia.

-Nyx is a decent unit in Conquest. Not great, but not horrible.

-Ryoma is very good, but there are better units. I don't think I'd put him in the top 5 in Revelation, and maybe not even in Birthright.

Once upon a time I had more, but they aren't so unpopular any longer.

Ryoma by himself is a good unit. It's his signature 1-2 range weapon that makes him broken, along with his availability.

Actually if we go by Hector as a Great Lord and Oswin as a General they have equal movement

But when they are unpromoted (which is what you are most of the game), Hector has 5 movement like the other lords. He even has the ability to walk over rivers. Both things that the knight class does not have.

I wouldn't say that. His ability to pair up is actually quite good as he can help other people move around a bit faster, and his bonuses are pretty solid as well for a pegasus knight (because the class gives good bonuses). 35 speed growth is weird for a Pegasus Knight, but then again, so is 45% defense growth. It also helps that Subaki happens to have some of the best base speed in the game. About the only characters that really have a better base for their level is Felicia (a very fast character), Jakob, Setsuna, and Kaze. The rest of them, while some like Reina or Ryoma, are quite speedy, they don't have particularly remarkable base speeds to go along with it. Just what is expected from a unit. By level 20, Subaki should have like 15 speed. To put this into perspective, a lot of people don't think Silas is a bad unit in Birthright (or in general), and yet they BOTH have the same speed growth with Silas' base speed actually being worse (Silas is higher in level AND has lower base speed). Now I'll grant that Silas has better strength and eventually defense after promotion, but by that point Silas is competing with someone that has a passive that heals everyone in an AoE or Staff utility. I think people are too hard on Subaki. Especially because his personal is easy to use because Camaraderie works to keep Subaki at full, and his passive is better than a good deal of units because you can guarantee that it's going to work.

It's weird, because people complain about how frail brithright units are, and then they specifically go out of their way to avoid using tankier characters like Subaki and instead use characters like Hana.

I guess that's my unpopular thing. I don't think Subaki is that bad.

I guess that's my unpopular thing. I don't think Subaki is that bad.

To Tsubaki's credit, he does have Darting Blow to augment his speed but I found him only doubling on the player phase. What kills Tsubaki for me, however, is his low strength in addition to his low speed. To compare with Rinka (one of the most notoriously strength screwed characters in Birthright), Tsubaki has 20 less speed and defense growths AND less strength! Furthermore, Rinka gets a consistent +4 damage from Fiery Blood, whereas Tsubaki's personal skill will often be disabled (dodge tanking isn't reliable and he doesn't have high speed for natural avoid anyway).

Interestingly, Rinka makes a good pair up unit for Tsubaki (and for a lot of characters, honestly) because she supports his natural bulk and gives him a much needed strength boost too. By himself, however, I think Tsubaki is rated fairly accurately by the fanbase.

Edited by NekoKnight

Yeah, he doesn't double very often on enemy phases, I agree with that. But Subaki is more like a flying general than a Pegasus Knight. I don't take him to end game, but he's not like characters like Wendy that start out as trash and end up as okay at best. He's more like "solid" and then his role shifts over the course of the game. He goes from being a tank to being a support unit, and in a worst case scenario is 7 move for them on off turns, extra defense and speed (which unit in BR should ever complain about Subaki's bonuses on the account that he's just plain concrete durability at that point). The issue with Rinkah is that she has really mediocre bases (strength primarily), and poor hit, and is locked at E rank. When she hits D rank, she probably still has to use Brass clubs because of hit problems. Subaki's skill growth on the other hand, is quite good , so he's rarely ever missing. For his lower strength, I gave him the Subaki's Pike (for once a special character weapon that's actually good with the character in question), which means that he has a 8 might weapon most of the time versus enemies. I do believe that he should have HAD this weapon on him initially however.

And yeah, Rinkah is a good pair up bot with Subaki. Both of them benefit from each other quite well. I just think that Birthright units aren't really as bad as some people claim. I agree that some like Hana are far better out of the box, but he's okay. I think the issue with Subaki is that he's an awkward character. Like the way people call characters like Rinkah and Subaki trash, I was expecting like "Hard/Maniac Mode" Fiona levels of bad.

I meant ability-wise.

Hector never has a significant Strength or Skill lead on Oswin (if he ever has a lead at all), but that's irrelevant altogether because Oswin has his own issues. I think Hector is overrated because he has trouble doubling, trouble hitting in earlier maps against anything not wielding a Lance, and not only does he promote late, his promotion ironically gives him worse movement. He's got great durability, but it's just overkill in FE7; you don't need half as much defense as Hector has to reasonably survive.

Hector is slow? Then I must've gotten extremely speed blessed with Hector when he DOUBLED the Dragon at the end of the game

5 base/35% growth is pretty unreliable, but the fire dragon itself isn't very fast at 15-16 Spd.

Ryoma by himself is a good unit. It's his signature 1-2 range weapon that makes him broken, along with his availability.

I know what makes him good. My statement about him is an "unpopular" opinion for a reason.

I don't mind that the Yato's final form is called the Fire Emblem. I actually found it cool that they made the FE a weapon instead of the shield (or other magical object, like in Tellius) it was in the past 13 games. It also does look fiery, so that's fitting. Dunno if that's unpopular or just a silent majority thing though.

^I actually agree with that. It's funny that the sword was never the Fire Emblem considering a lot the lords used swords. Heh.

And, this may be a 'popular' unpopular opinion, but I honestly think that the Children mechanic in the 3DS games is actually a great mechanic gameplay wise and should not go away. When you're not going for the 'optimal' pairing, you can make some really funny unit types by having a kid with physical and magical abilities. Besides the whole 'waifuism' thing that I honestly don't think that is a big deal, seeing how kids will become by experience is fun and adds more variety if you decide to use them. As silly as the reasoning behind Fates for having children is, I honestly don't mind it as much anymore, and they're optional and don't conflict with the main story, which I honestly prefer now.

^I actually agree with that. It's funny that the sword was never the Fire Emblem considering a lot the lords used swords. Heh.

And, this may be a 'popular' unpopular opinion, but I honestly think that the Children mechanic in the 3DS games is actually a great mechanic gameplay wise and should not go away. When you're not going for the 'optimal' pairing, you can make some really funny unit types by having a kid with physical and magical abilities. Besides the whole 'waifuism' thing that I honestly don't think that is a big deal, seeing how kids will become by experience is fun and adds more variety if you decide to use them. As silly as the reasoning behind Fates for having children is, I honestly don't mind it as much anymore, and they're optional and don't conflict with the main story, which I honestly prefer now.

I agree with this, I love the kids mechanic, especially in Fates, at least as far as gameplay is concerned.

Also liked the Fire Emblem being a sword, tho I think I prefer it being a sheild because of my Archenea bias if I'm being honest. Fates lets me have both tho, so I'm happy.

The mechanic of children isn't bad. I don't honestly think anyone would argue that. The insipid supports that come from the children mechanic as well as making a janky set of "Gaiden/Paralogue" chapters (they can't design the chapters as well when you can have so little as 6 units on a paralogue or a full fleshed out team). However, the unit customization is a nice feature, but I'd honestly rather them expand on the whole A+ rank system instead. In Awakening children were impractical to use in a standard game and in Fates, the scaling is so bizarre that in most cases it's better to drop a unit for a child instead. I believe they'd actually nail the design down pact in a third game that uses this system, but I'm not sure I want to see it again back to back.

As for the Yato being Fire Emblem, yeah, who'd a thunk it would take THAT long to make the Fire Emblem a sword?

I'm also on board the "Yato=Fire Emblem is Awesome" train. What sealed the deal for me was the animation of the Yato (Final Form). You can bet your sweet ass that if you get hit by that thing, your entire body about to be torn to shreds. It also helps that the screen shakes or vibrates when you land an attack with that sword. I absolutely love it. I hope a chainsaw weapon returns to the series in the next game.

> I want a FE game where I can be a conqueror/warlord. I recently played Samurai Warriors 2: Empires and I couldn't help but wish a FE game was similar. Of course, the story would be more than just attacking and gaining land, but I just think the basic premise would be interesting.

> I prefer Hinata over Hana and Ryoma. I also prefer Hayato over Nyx and Orochi.

> I also wish the A+ rank had a proper support conversation.

Edited by SaiSymbolic

The mechanic of children isn't bad. I don't honestly think anyone would argue that. The insipid supports that come from the children mechanic as well as making a janky set of "Gaiden/Paralogue" chapters (they can't design the chapters as well when you can have so little as 6 units on a paralogue or a full fleshed out team). However, the unit customization is a nice feature, but I'd honestly rather them expand on the whole A+ rank system instead. In Awakening children were impractical to use in a standard game and in Fates, the scaling is so bizarre that in most cases it's better to drop a unit for a child instead. I believe they'd actually nail the design down pact in a third game that uses this system, but I'm not sure I want to see it again back to back.

As for the Yato being Fire Emblem, yeah, who'd a thunk it would take THAT long to make the Fire Emblem a sword?

The A+ system thing I agree on. It was one the things that disappointed me in Fates.

Also kinda agree on the mechanic not coming back consecutively, now that I think about it. Holding it for a game or two would be a good idea.