Favourite Game Characters of Yours Most People Don't Know/Don't Also Have as Favourites

Randoman

I can never not have Janet on my team, she is bae <3 And while we're at it, Higgins usually has a place on my team too :v Also Luke. Gotta rock the trash chars like a boss. (though maybe Luke isn't too terrible...)

May is pretty dang popular iirc. Though I don't usually hear of people liking or using Rhode too much. Though he's gotta be one of the better prepromoted units, I think.

Also Eric is best Creed pick.

I'm really interested on that subject of best self-insert you know. I've never played the game and I've also never been able to insert myself into any player character so far so if I may ask could you clarify what makes that character great in your eyes?

Certainly! I'll try to not spoil anything of his ~12 year old game because, while it has aged rather poorly gameplay-wise and has a lot of cut content hampering the story, it's narrative is really appealing and should be seen by anyone interested in video game stories - hell, I'm not even into Star Wars in the slightest and I love it.

You play as the Exile, a jedi war veteran who traveled the outer regions of the galaxy for ten years before heading back, and you quickly realize things have gone to shit and that you missed yet another war while you were gone (the setting of the previous game, in which you play as another character). Already the background is flexible enough for you to fill in the blanks while keeping the avatar anchored enough in the universe as its own established character; you'll run into people you knew before and you can choose among usually plentiful dialogue options to determine how you want to react to old acquaintances, what you did during the war and whether or not you've regretted your choices as bits and pieces of the past conflict slowly get revealed over the course of the game.

It's also worth noting that there's a very good reason for as to why it's the player avatar that's so heavily involved with the conflict - you're not the chosen one nor do you have a magical weapon of destiny. You're just a tired war veteran with some funky powers that gets pulled into yet another conflict.

There's also the fact that Kreia, effectively the deuteragonist, works perfectly in the setting and with that kind of self-insert. It's not just the self-insert that's done right, but also the characters around it, even the non-playable ones.

I guess the short version is that the Exile is still an established character and has a personal reason for doing what they're doing that goes beyond the usual motivations for these kinds of characters. I apologize if my explanation is a bit sloppy, but I'm exhausted and have to hit the hay. I can clear things up tomorrow if you'd like.

Certainly! I'll try to not spoil anything of his ~12 year old game because, while it has aged rather poorly gameplay-wise and has a lot of cut content hampering the story, it's narrative is really appealing and should be seen by anyone interested in video game stories - hell, I'm not even into Star Wars in the slightest and I love it.

You play as the Exile, a jedi war veteran who traveled the outer regions of the galaxy for ten years before heading back, and you quickly realize things have gone to shit and that you missed yet another war while you were gone (the setting of the previous game, in which you play as another character). Already the background is flexible enough for you to fill in the blanks while keeping the avatar anchored enough in the universe as its own established character; you'll run into people you knew before and you can choose among usually plentiful dialogue options to determine how you want to react to old acquaintances, what you did during the war and whether or not you've regretted your choices as bits and pieces of the past conflict slowly get revealed over the course of the game.

It's also worth noting that there's a very good reason for as to why it's the player avatar that's so heavily involved with the conflict - you're not the chosen one nor do you have a magical weapon of destiny. You're just a tired war veteran with some funky powers that gets pulled into yet another conflict.

There's also the fact that Kreia, effectively the deuteragonist, works perfectly in the setting and with that kind of self-insert. It's not just the self-insert that's done right, but also the characters around it, even the non-playable ones.

I guess the short version is that the Exile is still an established character and has a personal reason for doing what they're doing that goes beyond the usual motivations for these kinds of characters. I apologize if my explanation is a bit sloppy, but I'm exhausted and have to hit the hay. I can clear things up tomorrow if you'd like.

Don't worry about it, Thane. If you still have energy tomorrow you can tell me any specifics through a PM if you want to. I appreciate the fact that you answered my question so quickly either way so take care until then. Thank you very much.

Edited by Raguna

I loved Niko from Arc Rise Fantasia, and yes I do enjoy his voice acting. He's usually always on my team, as a medic or tank depending on what I need. He's written quite well, although you'll end up hating him every now and then, but I believe there's a quest later that tells more about him. But great unit with pretty good personality and understandable if you understand cowardly characters.

There's also Stocke from Radiant Historia, because I remember him being written really well and being cool. You get to see sides of him and what he's thinking to why he's thinking that and then you get to understand why he does things and I just love his character because of that. Sadly I don't remember much except writing an essay about him when I was in high-school, and that some stupid kids stole the game like they stole all my other games!

There's also Ayesha from Atelier Ayesha, then again... I tend to like all the Alchemists from the Atelier series.

Dude I've never seen one person ever not like Vergil. I see more positive thoughts on him than Dante. The rage for Nero has cooled since DmC but I still see a lot of detractors for him.

I thought we were talking in terms of obscurity... in which case, most people don't really know vergil outside of 3 and the reboot.. they don't really know about the parts like Nelo angelo and stuff...

In terms of characters I liked that most people didn't... Nick... left 4 dead 2, designed to be the asshole of the group... but acts more like the realist of all of them

It's probably more of "old" and less "obscure," but I always loved Ryudo from Grandia II. A cynical smartass with a sad past isn't that unique, but I never met another jrpg hero before or since him that was THAT funny.

It makes me happy to see people mention Golden Sun here. I always loved Garret. He's typical, but he really livened up the party in both games.

Michelle Chang from the Tekken series.

Crash Bandicoot and Dingodile from the Crash Bandicoot series.

Frog from Chrono Trigger.

Wrex and Grunt from the Mass Effect series.

Red XIII from the Final Fantasy series.

Rebecca Chambers from the Resident Evil series.

To add to my list...

Polar from the Crash Bandicoot series.

Agent Zero from the Spyro the Dragon series.

Brom, Dozla, Fiora, and Tate, from the Fire Emblem series.

Zael, Calista, Yurick, Lowell, Mirania, Syrenne, Therius, and Ashtar, from The Last Story. What? Don't look at me like that! The Last Story has an amazing cast!

I don't like the Sonic the Hedgehog series very much, but I am very fond of Big the Cat.

Oh yes.

"It is because you were...afraid." - sends shivers down my spine every time.

I wish I could say I liked the rest of the cast as much, but I really don't; I've got no interest in Visas at all, and Bao-Dur's character arc's finale was pretty much scrapped entirely. Sigh, the game could've been so much more than it was, and it's still that great. I should really get pretty much every Obsidian game I can get my hands on. Hell, they even get the player avatar right! I wish Intelligent Systems had been taking notes - it's probably my favorite self-insert character ever.

Wow good memories there. I actually didn't pay much attention to the story but it is worth to get to it oncs again. It is now that I realize the Exile is quite a good avatar.

I heard about TOR but as it is an mmo I haven't found quite the interest on it.

Schwang Schwing: from MDK2, also everyone else in MDK2, even the enemies without speaking lines have personality.

Baz from Citizen Kabuto, actually pretty much everyone in that game too, except Yan and the Scottish wife, who are too over the top and hint at what will come in Armed and Dangerous.

Kron from Colony Wars: Vengeance.

Eddie Batillo and Roger Samms from Bad Mojo

Everyone in star control 2, except for captain tanaka and the arilou.

Burt Caesar (Nameless war veteran) from the first Colony Wars. His impression is so good that you would swear it was James Earl Jones himself!

Calypso from the Twisted Metal series. Honestly I think the darker calypso from Head ON and Black is just as valid as the smash tv esque game show host in twisted metal 2 and 2012(to a lesser degree). He's really interesting whenever he's onscreen, and even imitates other character's voices to mock them,

Jaunty and Micheal Le Roi from Shadow Man.

Magnus from Ogre battle 64 even though in most people's eyes Denam Pavel from the next game blows him away as a main charather.

Jutah from Silent Bomber

Pajama Sam and Putt Putt nostalgia vision coming through

I'm counting Baldur's gate, system shock, Thief, psychonauts, and planescape: torment as well known (for good charathers).

Dovicoulous from Brutal Legend.

I can't think of anything that fits the bill perfectly, but if it is outside of this forum, and outside of Japan, then maybe Caeda's a contender. She's not even an Assist Trophy in Smash, even though she's one the most representative characters of the franchise barring Marth.

That's pretty much about it, though, because my other favourite heroines are Paula (She's from Earthbound who had some exposure in the US), and Misty (From Pokémon OS-Anime & RBY/FRLG, and is obviously very well-known especially for people in my generation who were essentially the Pokemania generation). Off on a tangent, I actually prefer these three + Zelda over Samus (who I was never interested in) and especially Peach (who I used to like when I was a child playing Mario games, but now despise her and the entire franchise since Smash Melee came out).