anyone use protein powder?

Ansem

im 5"5' about 120-130 so i'm scrawny af. was looking to get into weight lifting and my job hours eased up so i finally have the chance. what should i purchase? also does anyone have some general advice involve lifestyle changes. i do have trouble clearing plates of food my mom gives me but i plan on just cooking up large bowls of pasta and eating that an hour or so before going to the gym.

im 5"5' about 120-130 so i'm scrawny af. was looking to get into weight lifting and my job hours eased up so i finally have the chance. what should i purchase? also does anyone have some general advice involve lifestyle changes. i do have trouble clearing plates of food my mom gives me but i plan on just cooking up large bowls of pasta and eating that an hour or so before going to the gym.

Definetly ask a qualified personal trainer. they can develop a plan to help you based on your situation that goes at the right speed for you. Going too fast often results in injury. They can teach you how to do exercises and use machines properly. A surprising number of exercises are bad for you if done wrong. A personal trainer can probably help you chose what to eat too. From what i understand, exercising regularly will boost you metabolisim and make you hungrier. Don't force feed yourself.

Perhaps you could take a "weight training" PE class at your local community college? I noticed a world of difference when I took a weight training class. One problem that i have is forcing myself to exercise, and having a grade fixed that.

So are you simply planning on bulking up or getting into shape? Because it's entirely dependent on what your goals are. Really though, I do recommend what the 2nd poster said and go to a trainer first so you can get an idea of what you want to do with your body.

But to answer your question, no I don't use protein powder anymore. I don't really need it too much if I eat the right foods.

Edited by Augestein

I use it. Keep in mind no need to go get the expensive stuff and usually only one scoop suffices pay attention to the serving size (and saves you alot of money in the long run). You really only need 20-27g of it after your workout for most things. Anymore usually gets wasted when you go to the bathroom and puts a toll on your kidneys.

Oh yeah and when you buy some keep what you hear from the storefront with a very very small grain of salt. Most of them at least from what I can tell usually are not in that great of shape anyways and remember they are trying to sell stuff to you first and foremost.

As far as general weight lifting advice if you are looking to bulk up focus on sets of no more than 8 (mostly 3x6) and higher weight numbers but use a spotter and don't go crazy and try to go in benching 315llbs on the first day. And never forget. Correct form > Amount of Weight always. Be sure to give yourself a rest day in between and to alternate muscle groups. (So like Upper Body on Mon, Lower on Tues, Rest on Wednesday etc...)

Edited by LordTaco42

I use it. Keep in mind no need to go get the expensive stuff and usually only one scoop suffices pay attention to the serving size (and saves you alot of money in the long run). You really only need 20-27g of it after your workout for most things. Anymore usually gets wasted when you go to the bathroom and puts a toll on your kidneys.

Oh yeah and when you buy some keep what you hear from the storefront with a very very small grain of salt. Most of them at least from what I can tell usually are not in that great of shape anyways and remember they are trying to sell stuff to you first and foremost.

do you have a specific brand?

and i used to frequent a gym often while i was in school, but two months away took its toll and i lost a lot of weight since i eat less.

Currently I have GNC Amplified. I know there is probably better stuff out there but its fine for me. Although it recommends 3 scoops which is 68g which is way too much for me so I take one which is about 23g.

Currently I have GNC Amplified. I know there is probably better stuff out there but its fine for me. Although it recommends 3 scoops which is 68g which is way too much for me so I take one which is about 23g.

I just eat a tin of sardines. Lots of protein, lots of calcium, lots of omega-3.

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes. I mean, it's great. I really look forward to taking it each time, because it's basically glorified choco/strawberry/whateverfancyflavorkidsintheUSusenowaday. You don't need it, though. If you can meet your protein needs (which you'll need to count, if you're into muscle-building) through food, there's not much of a reason to take it. I do so because it's more convenient and it's actually cheaper than buying a lot of meat/fish/other sometimes. I get around by mixing things up (milk, peanut butter, yogurt, eggs, some meat, etc. everything counts). Newer people may think you need it to "get big" and/or grow muscle, but it's what it is- a supplement.

*obligatory column*

With that said, get on a weight-lifting program. Go to The GYM, lift stuff and make sure you're getting better at it (aka, progress), no matter the pace.

I'm really not a fan of bulking, let alone actually preaching that "pig-it-out"...system......thing. Like, it worse, but not in the exaggerated way gym bros/forums preach it. Calculate your TDEE and it a little bit above that (like 200-300 on lifting days only). See what you get in 1-2 months. If you don't think you're gaining much, up it up a little, say, an extra hundred calories. See what you get and modify accordingly. a skinny guy doesn't need to stuff in 4000 calories into their body (a great part of which is going to be made into fat, by the way) to gain muscle. Gaining weight and gaining muscle can lead to the same, but they aren't. Gaining weight is easy, but gaining muscle takes time. You'll gain most of your muscle on your first year, though. So stay patient.

On a semi-related note, I freaking love beef jerky. That stuff is gr9mazing.

i need ~3000, but i havent kept track of how much and im sure i'm under. a scoop of protein doesnt give that much im assuming. know any cheap/dense foods? another problem is that i don't get that hungry. but i'm going to get a calendar to organize what exercises im going to do and i'll probably map out a diet withtat.

How the hell do you need 3000 calories. Did you calcutate your TDEE right. Every kid in bodybuilding forums say they "need" 4000, even though they're like estimating double their needs. My TDEE is only of 2000, and I'm 130.

about calorie-dense foods, peanut butter and oil/fats in general work really well. There's already 100 calories in each peanut butter serving. Oil's the same deal, so at it (preferably olive oil, I think). Stuff like rice, pasta and oats also help.

i go to the gym everyday, and i went by my vitals on my ID which was a few years back, and i thought i didnt change but i measured myself after i made the topic and found i did grow a bit haha.