How many 'Defend for X truns' chapters or there?

Dinar87

I don't get it either. Fire Emblem has always been fairly poor at giving varied and interesting map objectives. There's a few games like FE5 that do it well (and even then, the majority is still Seize), but the majority of maps have always been Rout, Seize, or Defeat Boss. With the latter two being effectively the same, and even comparable to Rout since unless a time limit you might want to kill everything on the map for experience.

Variable objectives help in terms of having different goals to win. However, seize / rout aren't bad when done particularly well. For instance, take Chapter 6 of Awakening. It's pretty much a defend chapter that's pretending it's a rout chapter. It's not bad. It has treasure to add extra heat to thin out your units, and in this case, the chokepoints HURT you because you have to spread your army really thin to cover them. Even better is that there's some guy you need to recruit... A unit which is incidentally a thief in an actual map with chests to open.

Also, if Emmy dies, you lose. The issue is that most of the time, when objectives are rout or something bland constantly, it's ... Well... The rest of Awakening. :(

Well let's just say I expected more from something that was apparently the "best in the series"...I guess I just expected too much.

I would also just like to add that when people praise the gameplay they're not just talking about map objectives. Map design, Dragon Veins, skills, reclass, online, and many more things are also part of that.

Have you played Thracia 776 yet?

It also features escape and defend missions which are pretty damn good actually.

Thracia has a shitton of Escape missions but only two Defend missions: 14 (with the rat bastard hostile greens) and 20. The average number of Defend missions in a FE pretty well averages between 0 and 2. In theory I guess Fates, having way more maps than any other FE, could've done with 2-3, but oh well. It's not that common an objective.

I still have no idea why most of the new (and great) introduced things in FE5 were removed after that already.

It's still the game with the most innovations of all parts and Tellius and Fates are based on this game.

I understand Fates, but Tellius doesn't seem to do such a thing. May I ask you what the Tellius games take from Thracia, aside from the escape objective?

I'm just really curious to know.

I understand Fates, but Tellius doesn't seem to do such a thing. May I ask you what the Tellius games take from Thracia, aside from the escape objective?

I'm just really curious to know.

• all the mission objectives
  • leader ship stars (= authority stars in FE10)

Mechanics like anima magic triangle and skills already existed in FE4.

Edited by Ayama Wirdo

Well let's just say I expected more from something that was apparently the "best in the series"...I guess I just expected too much.

You didn't read the entire thread. Rofllol did a good job of breaking down the mission variety in this game, and even he missed a couple of things, such as the map layout for each mission requiring a different approach or other mini-objectives that impede you from playing mindlessly, such as Hexing Rod users in key locations that cover large sections of the map (Chs. 14 and 20 come to mind). If you don't know what a Hexing Rod is, well, play the game.

Make it a point not to criticize the game without playing it or reading all of the replies to your query. It just makes you look contrarian and a bit ignorant.