Just curious about custom characters...

aire99

So far, I've never seen (from what I know) anyone creating custom characters. No, not like the avatars, but legitimately implanting their own made character in the game itself.

I can see the problems involved into it, but I think the most important reason is online. Wouldn't it corrupt the other user's 3ds or it would be just an error message?

Not only that, but what animation and model software does Fates use? How long will a person just try to model the character(s) and even animate them as well? How about drawing the portrait?

As you can see, these are the reasons I think why people didn't do it yet. However, if one manages to successfully create one, imagine the possibilities.

Link can be the game.

We can even have Roy for crying out loud.

What do you guys think?

I don't think it's impossible, it just hasn't been done yet.

Also, it's all client-side with the portraits I think. Like with Smash 4 skin mods, it should work online with no issues, as it doesn't affect the gameplay. So, no, it probably wouldn't affect the other person's 3DS.

That said, Fates could work differently. I'm not an expect, I'm just giving my pov.

I'm no expert, but I'd imagine the game stores graphics and character data separately, and links them with pointers. That is, for example, Niles' character data has some values in it that tell the game which head and custom body models to use for him.

If you implemented a custom character entirely by overwriting existing graphics and other data with new, then it should work just fine in link modes; the other person's game would just load the original data that you replaced instead of the data that you replaced it with. i.e. if you replaced Hinoka with a custom character, your custom character would show up as Hinoka on other people's games.

However if you wanted to inject new data into the game without replacing anything, then they might make link stuff a little screwy. The other person would probably be getting invalid pointer errors, or some weird Missingno.-type stuff, depending on how the game reacts to being told to interpret non-character data as a character. Or I suppose they might just not be loaded at all. I'm not sure.

Alternatively, they could just show up as a generic unit (captured generic unit head model) with a generic body model for their class.

Edited by Topaz Light