Abortion: What's your stance on it and why?

UNLEASH IT

'Abortions are safer than giving birth' in no way corresponds to 'abortion is actually healthy for the woman'. The healthiest thing would be to not be pregnant in the first place.

As for the SYA movement, yes, it's about removing the stigma and shame. Given 2008 abortion rates, "an estimated 30% of women will have an abortion by age 45." (And that's down from the early 90s, when 43% of women had had an abortion). That's a pretty significant number, yet abortion isn't really talked about. The movement aimed to show people who'd had an abortion that they weren't alone - and also to highlight to the public the myriad reasons why people opt for abortion.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Abortions are safer than giving birth' in no way corresponds to 'abortion is actually healthy for the woman'. The healthiest thing would be to not be pregnant in the first place.

As for the SYA movement, yes, it's about removing the stigma and shame. Given 2008 abortion rates, "an estimated 30% of women will have an abortion by age 45." (And that's down from the early 90s, when 43% of women had had an abortion). That's a pretty significant number, yet abortion isn't really talked about. The movement aimed to show people who'd had an abortion that they weren't alone - and also to highlight to the public the myriad reasons why people opt for abortion.

30% seems way too high, unless they are counting miscarriages and morning after pills.

The reports state they specifically exclude miscarriages, and the Guttmacher Institute is largely believed to be the most accurate source for abortion statistics in the U.S.

I do know that with the SYA movement, quite a few friends of mine spoke up about having had an abortion when it was trending on Facebook, and I'd have never known they had had abortions otherwise.

The number I've heard is closed to one in six. My experience with patients' medical histories and the fact that 10% or so of women are lesbians, makes me believe 30% is too high. Does it include morning after pills?

The number I've heard is closed to one in six. My experience with patients' medical histories and the fact that 10% or so of women are lesbians, makes me believe 30% is too high. Does it include morning after pills?

1. Not all people who get abortions are doing it because they were willing participants. Sexual abuse and its ilk don't care about that.

2. Source for the percentage of women who are lesbians?

Meanwhile, have some reading material. Pretty sure this should be SFW, but it might get a little text-gorey in places.

1. Not all people who get abortions are doing it because they were willing participants. Sexual abuse and its ilk don't care about that.2. Source for the percentage of women who are lesbians?Meanwhile, have some reading material. Pretty sure this should be SFW, but it might get a little text-gorey in places.

My preliminary search yields results all over the place, ranging from 0.5% to 10% so I'm not sure I could give a definitive study that couldn't be contradicted by another rather easily.

Maybe I'm just overestimating it, since having been in lesbian relationships, my circles naturally have quite a few LGBT people in them.

I tried to find a definitive answer but I couldn't. I don't believe so, though.

It could definitely vary in your area - the percentage of women who'd had an abortion in one of the studies I looked at ranged from 4% to more than 50% depending on the city/area (I believe the latter statistic was in some districts of New York, for example, so high cost of living & poverty levels most definitely play a part there). Plus, that's the percentage over a woman's lifetime - so you may have patients who haven't sought an abortion yet, but may do in the future.

Abortion rates are steadily decreasing, though, so there'll almost certainly be a drop once the next survey's results are revealed!

• 2 weeks later...

God's... Why did I come to the serious end.. (okay for context I'm basing this off England NHS so there's no paying for it in this)

Okay I'm for but with either 2/3 Doctors approval or/and a physiologists approval if this is from say rape or something else horrible.

The doctor should have the choice to look at the family/woman's income to see if they can even feasibly support a child.

The Woman should be seen if this is just a "I don't want kid" thing that they are of sound and mental mind.

If everyone agrees on it then, yes, if there's a no then, honestly Im not sure. This is a little too heavy for me to think about right now

But with my suggestions on the NHS that would take around...yeah 3 years... so it wouldn't matter anyway!