Is it a good idea to immerse yourself too much in Fates?

WinterOkami

You know like thinking you actually have family issues, have 8 siblings, banging the beautiful Hinoka superior to Camilla and all those other shenanigans. Back when I got the game I thought bonding was boosting my stats but it actually does nothing. Now I am growing attached to the characters in the game. For example: I patrol and talk to my units everytime after a mission so we talk and they ask me stuff like what to do when they're bored. Before I'd do nothing but now I actually answer them from the crossed dimension that is our world. When Hayato wants me to tell him a funny story I do. When Elise or Kana want me to play with them I make my character move so that it looks like we're playing or I invite them to my room. Same when they tell me to train with them.

So yeah I kind of am too close to this game which takes countless hours of my time but is it bad though ? That's the question.

What do you think?

I can't get to that level of immersion with Fates, but I genuinely felt involved with Awakening to the point that I'd basically answer characters mentally, but what my Avatar said almost seemed to project those thoughts onto the screen, whereas now, I unfortunately don't get that.

In any case, if it's making you happy, I say do it. If people view you as strange, that's their business.

I can't get to that level of immersion with Fates, but I genuinely felt involved with Awakening to the point that I'd basically answer characters mentally, but what my Avatar said almost seemed to project those thoughts onto the screen, whereas now, I unfortunately don't get that.

In any case, if it's making you happy, I say do it. If people view you as strange, that's their business.

Well it's fun sure but it's more on me rather than others since I pretty reserved as a human being. It just makes me feel like I am so anti-social I can only be friends with virtual characters it's over all just sad in the end. But is it okay to consider a digital pineapple the brother I never had though.

Well it's fun sure but it's more on me rather than others since I pretty reserved as a human being. It just makes me feel like I am so anti-social I can only be friends with virtual characters it's over all just sad in the end. But is it okay to consider a digital pineapple the brother I never had though.

I think the important thing to remember is that being social isn't a requirement of our species. Sharing and receiving information that is needed isn't the same as spending time in Starbucks idly chatting an afternoon away over coffee.

Do what makes you happy. Unless it involves hurting others.

This is a good question,it's hard not to immerse yourself in things you like but,if you're worried about whether or not your being unsociable it doesn't hurt to take a break,call someone or even go out for little while.Ultimately it's up to you on how you spend your time

I was immersed in fates too, to the point where I thought I was indeed Corrin but YOU are just the face paint.

I loved the kids,marriage EVERYTHING.

Then I went to play FE7 and FE8,I then realized that I was being too immersed and I now hate SOMETHINGS in Fates and Awakening.

Go back and play the GBA games you will probably like them more than Fates.

While there may not be any Kids or Marriage those games were the "Golden Age" of Fire Emblem.

Its not as immersive its just better in my opinion,also play as much as you want.

I would however advise you to do activities other than sit and Play Fire Emblem.

Edited by Seraphiel

For me, I don't think is bad, as long as you remember that is just a game, and actually... I always shout to the characters every time they miss or encourage them when they have low percent attacks, but is not only Fates, is just... Any game actually (mostly FE and Pokemon), I even shout to people from videos in walkthroughs when I see them fail at something that I think can have an easy solution.

I just can't stop, even if I know that the game/videos can't hear me (except Nintendogs or Hey You Pikachu... Now I think we need more games in which we can really talk to the characters lol), it just happens and I can't stop doing it. So hey, if you don't abandon reallity and you have fun talking to a videogame character is ok, is similar to talking with your pet, they probably can't understand but it make you feel better

I think that's pretty cool. Being immersed in games to an extreme extent is fun. It feels rare for that to happen these days now that I'm older, so I'm personally envious. I don't get involved enough to talk to my screen or anything, but I've definitely gotten way too offended by things the characters have said to one another, and I guess I basically "ground" the characters when I didn't like what they did, I plan their entire lives with their ships before shipping them, and some stuff like that. I don't see anything wrong with the things you said or anything, sounds fun. 'o'

Lol I think it awesome that you immerse yourself in the game i think it a good thing it allows you to enjoy the game a bit more then just play it normally would lol

Reasons I wish I could selectively wipe my memories.

Or store them to be regained afterwards.

Wouldn't it be interesting to be able to fully immerse yourself in everything you do?

I think whether or not you get so engrossed that you forget yourself is irrelevant to the question posed. What matters is how it affects your real life, and it affects everyone's lives differently. Some can become totally immersed like you have and still function all the same in society. Others can ruin their own lives with minimal immersion, e.g. those only in it for "the grind". You just gotta figure out if it keeps you from the important people in your life and if it makes you do worse in your career, and not to forget what sitting around playing a game (if that's how you play it) can do to you physically. If you can't figure any of that out, then it probably is a problem for you.

As for me personally. I can get immersed in the way that I genuinely like, care about, and sometimes even love some characters, though the last bit admittedly happens much less to me now than it did when I was a teenager. I mean, I've mentioned this before, but I ended up liking Oboro so much that I actually couldn't bring myself to kill her in Conquest, even though it'd possibly net me some decent XP. In fact, I made a very concerted effort to keep her from dying. I didn't do this for any other character, partially because my other favorites - Leo and Takumi - are necessary to defeat (and one of them doesn't actually die). But I don't ever really lose myself in Fates.

I think it's a wonderful thing to get immersed in a story. That's where storytelling and roleplaying really shines. It's literally the best thing that could happen when you're consuming any piece of media.

Wouldn't it be interesting to be able to fully immerse yourself in everything you do?

That's basically what my childhood was. Almost every waking moment away from my parents and teachers, my life was simply being immersed in video games and roleplaying. It was like all the Rugrats adventures.

I think it's a wonderful thing to get immersed in a story. That's where storytelling and roleplaying really shines. It's literally the best thing that could happen when you're consuming any piece of media.

That's basically what my childhood was. Almost every waking moment away from my parents and teachers, my life was simply being immersed in video games and roleplaying. It was like all the Rugrats adventures.

I think a part of the problem with why it's so difficult to achieve that now is that information about these products we're consuming spoils so much prior to release that you're not really getting anything new during a playthrough. When I got my 3DS and by extension, Awakening (because special edition 3DSXL), I had trophy descriptions of characters from Super Smash Bros. Brawl to work with for information and that was it. The only helpful thing was knowing of Marth (which partially influenced my decision to get Awakening in the first place). Not very helpful.

Tangent aside, I had Smash Bros. as my reference for the franchise and came in blind. I was so immersed with everything that I hadn't realized that about 4-5 hours had passed. I had nothing to work with. A completely clean slate. I could comfortably project myself into the game because by way of sheer coincidence, I matched the Avatar very well.

Honestly, I'm jealous. You've been far more immersed in your interests than I hae mine.

I think a part of the problem with why it's so difficult to achieve that now is that information about these products we're consuming spoils so much prior to release that you're not really getting anything new during a playthrough. When I got my 3DS and by extension, Awakening (because special edition 3DSXL), I had trophy descriptions of characters from Super Smash Bros. Brawl to work with for information and that was it. The only helpful thing was knowing of Marth (which partially influenced my decision to get Awakening in the first place). Not very helpful.

Tangent aside, I had Smash Bros. as my reference for the franchise and came in blind. I was so immersed with everything that I hadn't realized that about 4-5 hours had passed. I had nothing to work with. A completely clean slate. I could comfortably project myself into the game because by way of sheer coincidence, I matched the Avatar very well.

Honestly, I'm jealous. You've been far more immersed in your interests than I hae mine.

I suppose the spoilers help with a diminishing sense of immersion. Though it doesn't help that more and more corporate types who have absolutely no passion whatsoever in video games are getting involved in the games industry.

I was the same as you when I got Awakening. I was really mostly looking forward to getting and playing Smash Bros and Tomodachi Life since I watched live streams of both, but my sister got me FE Awakening as well. And since I actually kinda liked Lucina and Robin in Smash (go f*** yoselves, haters; also, Ike's fun to play as well), and because I got into strategy games a bit with Valkyria Chronicles, I figured that I should give it more of a chance than a lot of games I'm just sort of handed. And lo and behold, I ended up playing FE more than the other 3DS games I wanted to play. Spent some hundred-or-so hours total on my first file.

And of course, while I've not been too immersed in the game in general as I have been for its predecessor, I do feel a connection to the characters of Fates. And for me, the characters are the most important aspect of most media I absorb.

And of course, while I've not been too immersed in the game in general as I have been for its predecessor, I do feel a connection to the characters of Fates. And for me, the characters are the most important aspect of most media I absorb.

What's a good story without the interesting characters to draw you in? Am I right?