Awakening or FE12 first

So, I already have Awakening and I'm a few chapters into it and enjoying it so far, but I started it before realizing there was a translation for Heroes of Light and Shadow. I don't know much about the plots, but I think I heard there was some crossover in the plot. Should I postpone Awakening until I can get around to playing the earlier game?

Awakening's story takes place at least 2000 years after Marth's time (FE1/2/3/11/12). There may be a couple references here and there outside of Spotpass/DLC content but that's it. Knowledge about any of the FE games that take place in Marth's time isn't required to enjoy Awakening's story, as flawed as it is.

If you do want to play FE12, and care about the plot, consider playing FE11 before that since FE12 (as a remake to FE3 Book 2) is the direct sequel to FE11 (remake of FE1). Playing FE2 isn't required as it's a side story (hence the game title being Gaiden) but it sheds some light as to what happened to a few of the FE1 characters between the events of FE1 and FE3 Book 2.