Questions about Children and Parents

Kyou

Hi Guys,

Because this is my first FE's Game, but I want to get most out of it, and maybe one day, approach Lunatic Mode, I want to ask you some questions about Children, Inheritance and their Parents.

Basically, What I want to know is:

- How can I get the most out of a Child? I mean, On what I have to base my desicion about his \ her Mother or Father?

- I hear that not all of the children are worth using instead of their parents. Is that true? What are those circumstances?

- What a good team composition could be? ( Ex. 1-2 Ranged, 1-2 Melee, 1-2 Magic, 1-2 Healer\Rally and so on... Ecc.. )

- Could you tell me what type of classes give the best with Stats as Skill, speed and Luck? ( Str, Magic, Def and Res 's users are simple to identify )

- And lastly: I want my Kana to be very strong at the end, so do you think I have to Marry MU, Male or Female, with a Child?

Edited by Kyou

In order.

Skills + mothers growths+childs growths/2 + class set. Obscenely overleveld parents pass down a lot of stats but that's only abusable on specific nogrind setups.

Late kids sans lunatic CQ Soliel/all birthright kids are irrelevant.

Good comp for CQ is vomit 1-2 range with bows and zerks, on lunatic throw Effie in a dumpster. Good comp for BR/Rev is Ryoma+Cornbread+Jakobdin.

Go look this one up or just play...

Kana is garbage, actually worse than Gunther.

Edited by joshcja

In order.

Skills + mothers growths+childs growths/2 + class set. Obscenely overleveld parents pass down a lot of stats but that's only abusable on specific nogrind setups.

Late kids sans lunatic CQ Soliel/all birthright kids are irrelevant.

Good comp for CQ is vomit 1-2 range with bows and zerks, on lunatic throw Effie in a dumpster. Good comp for BR/Rev is Ryoma+Cornbread+Jakobdin.

Go look this one up or just play...

Kana is garbage, actually worse than Gunther.

Now that's just not true. Kana can be excellent, and birthright kids can be much more useful. Rhajat, for example, is much better than Hayato, especially as a Witch. Shiro is an excellent spear master, or even Sword Master if you want. Kiragi is an amazing sniper, not as good as Takumi (because of the Fujin Yumi) but is better than any other archer, except maybe Mozu. For Kana, just marry the person you want your Kana to be. Kana is weak when he sticks with Nohr Noble, but can be really strong if you reclass him. He can be literally anything you want depending on your boon/bane stat and the person you marry.

Edited by Don't Blame Takumi

-for children to have higher base stats upon recruitment, they'd have to inherit from their parents. and parents pass down more stats the higher lvl they are. but it's at most 2 (or 3 in rare cases) per stat so overall, nothing to worry about. what's more important is growths and postgame: mods. other considerations are classes and skills but mostly relevant in postgame only. so just be logical about it. don't pair a Magic mother with a Physical Father (pay attention to mix growth parents like Saizo)

the other tangential consideration is how the parents benefit from this marriage. will they gain a class out of it? will the pair ups be good?

-some are good, some are poor versions of their fathers (may or may not be ok on their own), and some just work differently.

for example, Caeldori, Velouria, and Sophie are slightly less bulky but faster versions of their parents. Shiro is pretty good but works differently from his father. as mentioned Kiragi is at least ok on his own but Takumi's Yumi is OP. Kana's just bad overall. no Yato, low HP and Str base AND low growths in those while having average Mag base and low Mag growth. also average defenses w/ low growths

I could go through all of them but some of these are dependent on your playstyle (Sophie vs Silas for example). for the most part, none of the children are bad per se so just go with whoever you want. as long as it's not nogrind Lunatic CQ, anyone can be used

-1-2 Healer but beyond that, that's entirely your playstyle. find what works with you. it also depends what's available. though do try to vary your weapon types a bit (and I mean parts of the triangle so have some green, some blue, and some red. don't do all Shuriken and Naginatas). you're gonna want at least 1 Mag, especially for that one chapter in BR but I went most of my BR Hard without one at all (besides when I was grinding for Rend Heaven)

-look on the site. it's all there ._.

-as I mentioned, Kana's on the lower end of children. just pretty poor bases and personal growths. the other parent can only somewhat salvage it and make Kana just an average unit. post-game though where growths and bases don't matter anymore, sure. you can marry a 2nd Gen if you want to really max out 1 or 2 stats. for the most part, you can simply marry a Gen 1. your options are somewhat restricted if you really want a +8 or higher in a stat vs a ~+4

Edited by GoXDS

- How can I get the most out of a Child? I mean, On what I have to base my desicion about his \ her Mother or Father?

Honestly there are so many options in this game that there isn't really a definitive 'best' way to make each child like there was in Awakening. There are optimal parents (IE Oboro!Caeldori, IIRC) but hardly optimal builds. That's one thing I really like about this game, is that there are a ton of viable options on the table and no definitive 'best' strategy like Galeforce/Aggressor and whatnot from Awakening haha.

- I hear that not all of the children are worth using instead of their parents. Is that true? What are those circumstances?

I think what this depends on is when you start matching people up just for the sake of matching them after you've done the optimal pairs you want. For instance, in Birthright there are a ton of magic-viable moms and comparatively few dads to pair them with; also I hear Selena is a terrible mom, so there's that. Things like that. Generally you'll never need all of the parents AND kids in order to have a viable squad, though, so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

- What a good team composition could be? ( Ex. 1-2 Ranged, 1-2 Melee, 1-2 Magic, 1-2 Healer\Rally and so on... Ecc.. )

Honestly, whatever you want. I literally had one playthrough with all Wyvern units (Hard Conquest, as well) and I did fine. I'd just focus on making sure you have enough of each weapon type you want to use plus Azura and 1-2 healers. Specialized rallying is pretty optional on lower difficulties, and in Conquest you can just let each of your units grab one or two and just collaborate in that regard. Do it if you like the idea, but I wouldn't call it necessary. Whenever you get into Lunatic, Shigure and Laslow tend to make the best rallybots, and if you have DLC access, Rally Spectrum from Grandmaster is really good. Otherwise, they can both get a decent amount of rallies on their own, and can A+ support and marry into more.

- Could you tell me what type of classes give the best with Stats as Skill, speed and Luck? ( Str, Magic, Def and Res 's users are simple to identify )

Honestly I think these are pretty simple to identify too? But um... Ninjas, Swordmasters, and Pegasus tree for the first two, Basara and Maids/Butlers for Luck, and Spearmasters are pretty good at everything IIRC

- And lastly: I want my Kana to be very strong at the end, so do you think I have to Marry MU, Male or Female, with a Child?

Kana can be strong regardless of his/her parent, depending on what you want to do. The only real reason to marry 2nd gen (or corrin support-only units) is if you want to get all the kids, because if you marry one of the otherwise-eligible gen 1 units you will have to miss out on a kid. There are only enough people of each gender in both routes to get all the kids if you marry Flora/Shura/Scarlet/etc. or Gen 2.

Hope this helps.

If this is your first game and you haven't started playing yet, I highly suggest not overthinking it and just getting into playing. You will learn the necessary skills for the basics by doing and should be able to get an idea of what works/what doesn't for future runs.

Another question:

Maybe some children are not worth using instead of their parents, but If you have to pair up two characters, Where do you look at, max their ( child ) stats, so take for Example Asugi. Saizo pass down to his son Str +1 Mag +0 Skl +3 Spd -2 Lck +0 Def +1 Res -2, Do you choose a mother that boosts his positive stats ( Physical Asugi ) or to compensate where he lacks?

It's best to use Item that permantly boosts a stat at level cap or it's indifferent?

But, yeah, don't overthink your first playthrough. If you want the kids, go for it. Part of the fun is going in blind and experimenting.

Seconding this.

One of the reasons Fates is nice is because the viable options are vastly wider than they were in Awakening, where optimal builds are pretty specific. In light of that, experimentation is definitely your friend here. I def recommend reading up on which parents give what inheritance in terms of stats/growth and going for something that appeals to you after informing yourself.