Recruitng Children

SalShich10N

So when it's the best time to recruit children in your experience? Asuming one is grinding supports online to save on time.

Late in the game to save on master seals and prevent RNG from screwing your children or earlier and make the most out of a potential game changing unit?

Is it better to spread them out, one every 2 or so chapter go get the most experience out of the paralogues, or is it better to get them all at once and overelevel for a brief period of time?

For instance, if one chooses to get Elise!Ophelia early in Conquest then you'd not only get one of the few competent mages, but also Lightning, Horse Spirit and Calamity Gate, as well as a Missiletainn. However early on you don't have many deployment slots for units and if one waits until chapter 19 or so to get someone like Kagero!Shiro, Peri!Velouria or Effie!Sophie then you'd get for free a powerful unit that doesn't even need a Master Seal, right when the game begins to give you more available deployment slots.

What do you guys do, what are your habits?

I prefer getting them during the sweet spot between chapters 15 and 18, ESPECIALLY Ignatius, Forrest, Shiro, Selkie, and Sophie.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

I tend to wait on getting them. Usually I start getting them between chapters 18-21. By then you can offspring seal(which they come with so you don't have to waste a master seal) them into higher levels. So yeah, you don't have to grind with them or waste a master seal.

There are some exceptions:

I try to get Shiro and Ignatius as soon as I get their fathers. Their paralogues tend to be the most difficult when you're farther in the game from what I've experienced.

I also try to get Elise!Ophelia(and Orochi/Sakura/Nyx!Rhajat) as soon as possible as well since it's nice to have a witch around.

The best moment to recruit them IMO is when you get new units slots late-game. As you may know, the last 1st gen units you can get come by Chapter 15 (except Corrinsexuals but I did not use them yet), and your roster isn't complete yet so unless you grind or use Pair-Up bots (which I don't recommend), either you complete it with several underleved 1st gen units because benched earlier (no slots available), or you complete with children, which is the best choice for me because they join at a correct level, they can get good skills from their parents (usually level 20/5 skills, sometimes more) without reclassing.

So the best moment depends on how many 1st and 2nd gen you want. On my Conquest run, I used maybe 8 children and 7 parents, I don't remember when each child got recruited, but I remember I had Velouria, Forest, Nina, Percy, Shigure, Ophelia before chapter 22, and I got Midori before Possessed and Soleil before Ryoma's chapter. On my BR run, I'm using more 1st gen so I only have 3 Children in my team before chapter 22.

There are two exceptions though: children with Aptitude (Mozu's Child or Kana) because Aptitude doesn't really like Offsppring Seals (it's better to train them manually), and children that are similar to one of their parents so you can recruit them earlier because you want to bench the parent. And you can recruit children you won't use when you want.

Get Ignatius as soon as possible because later on his chapter is a form of torture. If you're playing Conquest and as a male Corrin who marries a first gen girl, you can erase Ignatius from existence.

The other child chapter, I like to wait until chapter 21. Shiro and Selkie's chapters are far less difficult if you have Rescue staves. Mitama's chapter can be hard to if you wait awhile.

I tend to wait on getting them. Usually I start getting them between chapters 18-21. By then you can offspring seal(which they come with so you don't have to waste a master seal) them into higher levels. So yeah, you don't have to grind with them or waste a master seal.

There are some exceptions:

I try to get Shiro and Ignatius as soon as I get their fathers. Their paralogues tend to be the most difficult when you're farther in the game from what I've experienced.

I also try to get Elise!Ophelia(and Orochi/Sakura/Nyx!Rhajat) as soon as possible as well since it's nice to have a witch around.

That reminds me, I tend to not wait in the cases of Ignatius and Shiro because their paralogues are flat-out poorly designed for lategame. Selkie has the same problem that Shiro does of being very likely to get herself killed if you try hers late as well. Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

That reminds me, I tend to not wait in the cases of Ignatius and Shiro because their paralogues are flat-out poorly designed for lategame. Selkie has the same problem that Shiro does of being very likely to get herself killed if you try hers late as well.

Ignatius' paralogue is not that hard (at least in Hard). And I completed it just before Endgame. I just paired Azura!Midori (@ Kinshi Knight) with Kaze!Shigure, sent Azura to dance for them as far as she could walk, sent Percy behind and they could reach the Ninjas at Turn 2. Shigure destroyed Ninjas (he's so fast he can double them with Effie's Lance thanks to Darting Blow), and had Percy kill the last one. Then I brought a part of my team to help them and it was done.

Hmm.. I usually recruit the kids after chapter 17 and after chapter 18.

After chapter 18, all the enemies come promoted and the kids show up with Seals on them.

I recruit after chapter 17 the kids with difficult maps, so: Shiro, Mitama, Ignatius and Siegbert.

After chapter 18 is when I get all the rest.

Ignatius' paralogue is not that hard (at least in Hard). And I completed it just before Endgame. I just paired Azura!Midori (@ Kinshi Knight) with Kaze!Shigure, sent Azura to dance for them as far as she could walk, sent Percy behind and they could reach the Ninjas at Turn 2. Shigure destroyed Ninjas (he's so fast he can double them with Effie's Lance thanks to Darting Blow), and had Percy kill the last one. Then I brought a part of my team to help them and it was done.

It's still pretty damn stupid late since I'm expected to continually luck out until I save Ignatius, because if I DON'T (read: one of Ignatius's attackers gets a critical hit), I'm on the fast track to a loss I can't do anything to prevent. And considering that he starts getting attacked on turn 2...

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

It's still pretty damn stupid late since I'm expected to continually luck out until I save Ignatius, because if I DON'T (read: one of Ignatius's attackers gets a critical hit), I'm on the fast track to a loss I can't do anything to prevent.

Yes, but unless a Master Ninja gets a crit (but that's a low chance), he should survive the first turn. And then yours flyers are ready to attack, Shigure usually kills the first Ninja and Percy OHKO the last with Shigure's dual strike. And then you have some time (like 2 turns if I remember well) to bring the rest of your roster and use the "grey" and forest tiles at your advantage to reduce enemies' mobility and complete the paralogue easily. In fact, once you reach Ignatius, it's basically over.

Edited by Brand_Of_The_Exalt

Yes, but unless a Master Ninja gets a crit (but that's a low chance), he should survive the first turn. And then yours flyers are ready to attack, Shigure usually kills the first Ninja and Percy OHKO the last with Shigure's dual strike. And then you have some time (like 2 turns if I remember well) to bring the rest of your roster and use the "grey" and forest tiles at your advantage to reduce enemies' mobility and complete the paralogue easily. In fact, once you reach Ignatius, it's basically over.

But if I have to constantly get lucky or auto-lose, that's, to quote a certain Wind Vestal, "UNACCEPTABLE!" Also, like I said earlier, he starts getting attacked by turn 2, and there's also the matter of a Freeze staff that's there as an extra "fuck you" to the player. Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

But if I have to constantly get lucky or auto-lose, that's, to quote a certain Wind Vestal, "UNACCEPTABLE!"

You must be even less lucky than I am ;) Yesterday I missed two 94% in a row!

I'll be honest, Ignatius got critted on my first try, so I succeeded on the second one. But if you're having issues on that paralogue, to pass down Wary Fighter from Benny may be a smart move. I benched Benny so I couldn't, but I thought about it.

You must be even less lucky than I am ;) Yesterday I missed two 94% in a row!

I'll be honest, Ignatius got critted on my first try, so I succeeded on the second one. But if you're having issues on that paralogue, to pass down Wary Fighter from Benny may be a smart move. I benched Benny so I couldn't, but I thought about it.

My luck is completely immaterial to this discussion. Also, Wary Fighter ain't some miracle cure-all - it doesn't completely eliminate the threat of him biting the dust before I can get to him, and I still have to contend with a Freeze staff that's there to rain on my parade.

My luck is completely immaterial to this discussion. Also, Wary Fighter ain't some miracle cure-all - it doesn't completely eliminate the threat of him biting the dust before I can get to him, and I still have to contend with a Freeze staff that's there to rain on my parade.

I think he can survive one more turn if you give him this skill, unless he got critted of course. Mine (Beruka!) would have taken 9 damage by Ninja instead of 18 if I remember well.

That's why flyers are mandatory, I parked mines in the mountain just behind the village so they did not get hit and could reach the Ninjas on turn 2. The Shelter trick may be useful to have Azura sing for another flyer. And throw everybody on the right side of the map (especially Peri with a Galeforce build to erase Onmyojis that are too far on the first line) to rescue them before they get overwhelmed.

Edited by Brand_Of_The_Exalt

I like to go for Asugi and Ignatius' Paralogues as soon as possible since they have a lose condition and their chapters get harder as the game progresses.

Due to the difficulty of Shiro, Siegbert and Forrests' Paralogues, I'll try to unlock them as soon as I can, but it's no big deal if I don't get theirs' until later.

If I do decide I want the kids right away, I'll halt my progress following the chapter where the last of the parents are recruited (15 in BR, 17 in CQ and 18 in Rev) and grind out supports.

I used to grind for Sophie's so I would have a better chance at saving the Villagers, but I've given up on trying to save those suicidal idiots.

Edited by Magic Ike

I think he can survive one more turn if you give him this skill, unless he got critted of course. Mine (Beruka!) would have taken 9 damage by Ninja instead of 18 if I remember well.

That's why flyers are mandatory, I parked mines in the mountain just behind the village so they did not get hit and could reach the Ninjas on turn 2. The Shelter trick may be useful to have Azura sing for another flyer. And throw everybody on the right side of the map (especially Peri with a Galeforce build to erase Onmyojis that are too far on the first line) to rescue them before they get overwhelmed.

And you just stated exactly why I don't think Wary Fighter is that much of a help - sure, it means that they only get one chance to get lucky, but that might still be enough to doom poor Ignatius if the RNG flips you off.

I...am a big novice to children.

I really never thought of using them until recently when I unfortunately discovered I can get obsessed with building up their parents, friends, and partners to achieve favorable sets of skills. As of right now I'm on chapter 25 or 26 of Revelations I think (I don't even remember that anymore because grinding). I have spent more time than I ever wanted to in the FE wiki looking at their parent bonuses and class accesses. I've got a number of children already but I've decided to just really focus on two or three and forget the rest exist or I'll never finish the game.

I'm not sure how badly the RNG messes up their growth early or later on though.

In the end, I never put too much attention on kids (outside of this one time and my next two runs).

Personally I have no problems with Ignatius's paralogue even at before chapter 19 when everyone is promoted. I Master Seal'd Benny (who I never use, I'm an Effie guy) into a Great Knight and pair him with Camilla for +1 move and I dance/fly them over the mountains to the right avoiding the Freeze Staffers. I usually reach by turn 3 and get Iggy just fine.Just having Camilla there helps a lot. I manage to get it even in my Lunatic playthrough. Shiro's paralogue is always a pain, through, but you never get him on a route where you can't do rescue staff chains.

What I used to do always was just recruit them all before chapter 19, however in my aforementioned Lunatic playthrough I found myself storing a few easy paralogues like Siegbert's and Midori's for later to level up my underleveled units due to relying on Xander a bit too much

You can always find a castle online with a Wary Fighter Benny and buy that to pass down. No one will notice.

Edited by SalShich10N

As many in this thread have shown, its all a matter of preference. Doing paralogues before Chapter 18 saves you a lot of headaches later, but it can also be nice to save a few of them for later. For instance, if you want a rescue skip candidate for Conquest Endgame, you'd save Nina's paralogue till Chapter 27. This is of course assuming that you marry Camilla and Niles of course. Saving her paralogue till then would allow you to Offspring seal her into Adventurer (which gets her Pass) and then reclass her to Wyvern Lord (for the boosts and for the movement). All she would need from there is a boot (which you get in Takumi's chapter if I'm remembering correctly) and your designated Takumi killer who gives another movement, (8 move from Wyvern Lord, +1 move skill, +1 from the boot, and +1 from Great Knight pair up to give her 11 movement). This is unnecessary if you are willing to play through Endgame, (god help you) but it is still an option. This also depends on what difficulty you are playing on and what restrictions you have, (like no DLC grinding). Another thing to consider is will you be using the kids at all. The only kid I use in Conquest is Sophie (mainly because she ends up better than her father, but having Aptitude probably doesn't hurt :P), while the rest are mainly for exp, money, and free stuff.

Some examples of the ways I used the children paralogues include:

- Kana's is used for grinding early on (mainly before Chapter 17 so you can promote your units before the Ninja cave)

- Dwyer's gives you a free Sun Festal, which is always nice

- Sophie's is a bit tedious, but she is a great unit to have (specifically if her mother is Mozu)

- Shigure's paralogue is used for catching up units late game

- Midori's is the same as Shigure's but with a free Dragon Herb

- Percy's gives you money, which is always a good thing in Conquest

- Forrest's gives you money, Gazak, and another healer should you need one.

- Ophelia gives you a free Calamity Gate, Horse Spirit, Lightning, Spirit Dust, and she isn't too bad but she won't see very much action late game (mainly in Chapter 25 :P)

The rest of the kids either had tedious paralogues, I had no use for them, or both. It was usually both. This of course was on a no grind Lunatic run, so your preferences for the children you want to use will vary. All of this is also considering that you are playing Conquest, given that it has the more difficult paralogues, (and lack of grinding). This can apply to Birthright, but they aren't as challenging even after Chapter 18, (barring Shiro's but that's because his AI is stupid).

And you just stated exactly why I don't think Wary Fighter is that much of a help - sure, it means that they only get one chance to get lucky, but that might still be enough to doom poor Ignatius if the RNG flips you off.

Yes, but I don't consider Crits like a standard hit. I mean, crits are about 10%, that doesn't happen that much. It's not a criterion of sure defeat. So there's no reason Ignatius would not survive one turn, or two with Wary Fighter.

Yes, but I don't consider Crits like a standard hit. I mean, crits are about 10%, that doesn't happen that much. It's not a criterion of sure defeat. So there's no reason Ignatius would not survive one turn, or two with Wary Fighter.

Maybe not, but I very highly doubt he'd be able to hold out much longer if he got critted (and that's assuming he wasn't debuffed already; if he was, you might as well restart since you lose if the enemy gets to the village he's guarding). Either way, it's still BS game design when Ignatius's paralogue practically makes getting lucky mandatory for victory, which is the case when you tackle it late.

Maybe not, but I very highly doubt he'd be able to hold out much longer if he got critted (and that's assuming he wasn't debuffed already; if he was, you might as well restart since you lose if the enemy gets to the village he's guarding). Either way, it's still BS game design when Ignatius's paralogue practically makes getting lucky mandatory for victory, which is the case when you tackle it late.

But it doesn't need to hold on longer because your troops are here. I don't remember exactly how is the configuration of the map, but unless I'm wrong, only one Ninja can hit him on the first turn. That's the bigger difference with Shiro's paralogue where he basically rushes on the Heroes and you're a bit forced to use a Rescue Staff.

But it doesn't need to hold on longer because your troops are here. I don't remember exactly how is the configuration of the map, but unless I'm wrong, only one Ninja can hit him on the first turn. That's the bigger difference with Shiro's paralogue where he basically rushes on the Heroes and you're a bit forced to use a Rescue Staff.

Yeah, well, that's if I'm able to ORKO both of the ninjas to save Ignatius, and I'd consider that a VERY big if. Edited by Levant Mir Celestia