Map Mechanic Idea

SullyMcGully

Okay, so in most Fire Emblem games, you get 30-60 units over the course of the game. However, the most units you can take into one level is usually 18-20, and that's only for the toughest chapters. So here's my idea for fitting all of your units into one chapter without creating a huge map that's a drag to play through.

In Final Fantasy VI, there is a feature at some parts of the plot where you divide your characters into four different groups to accomplish a single task. This allows you to use all of your characters at once instead of just the four that you can usually fit in a party. You toggle between the groups with the select button. I'm thinking of combining this mechanic with one from Advance Wars: Dual Strike, where your army battles on two fronts simultaneously with different commanders at each end giving different bonuses.

How would this work with Fire Emblem? You could have up to four different battles going on simultaneously, each on a map of its own. For every map, you would choose a different commanding character at the preparations menu, with each commander giving certain perks to the units he/she commands. Each map would have a maximum allotment of about twelve units or so and be relatively small in size, so that that particular map's gimmick doesn't get old too quickly. As well, the maps would have different layouts, enemies, and goals, requiring that you think strategically about which units to send to each one.

I know from a mapmaking point of view this sounds like a lot of work, and also that it might almost be impossible to hack in or program some other way, but these are just my thoughts on something that would make a Fire Emblem game funner and allow you to use all of your units in a meaningful way. I would love to hear any thoughts, opinions, or criticisms you may have.

you mean like Radiant Dawn Part 4

Yeah, kinda. However, while RD felt kinda drawn out, I want this to be a little more punctual. I'm not trying to extend the actual amount of time it takes to win by a whole lot, and I want every map to feel like it could stand on its own.

For example, imagine a mission where you attack a castle, requiring you to split into four parties. The first party launches a diversion to draw away the bulk of the enemy and must survive an enemy onslaught until the other groups have finished their missions. For this group, you would want to have your armored units and healers. The second group must travel through the castle's dungeon to find a rare item before thieves do. You'd want high-movement characters and thieves for this map. The third group has to assassinate a heavily-guarded enemy boss, requiring your best offensive characters. And your final group is securing an escape route for the other parties by defeating all the enemies in the castle courtyard.

Once all four goals are completed, you beat the chapter. Or, alternatively, you could win after accomplishing one goal, with the ending changing depending on which goal you chose to complete.