[Brainstorming] Mount Units in a 2D Platform Setting

Atticus Lee

I've been brainstorming a lot about a 2D Action-Platform concept with Fire Emblem characters. What I had in mind was something Smash Bros./Dynasty Warriors/Overwatch/Dark Soul-esque in 2D, but I've hit a wall thinking about mount-units. I can obviously go the easy way and make everyone a foot unit like Dynasty Warriors, but I feel like that takes away a lot from the individual characters and from the original Fire Emblem games.

The main problem I'm having is trying to balance mount units alongside foot-units but it doesn't really work unless I give them a massive weakness, because realistically being mounted is superior to being footed. I was thinking that in exchange for great mobility, height advantage and basically a meat tank, they just take incredible damage from spear users/beast killers. For some reason however this doesn't sound like a very good idea, but I honestly have no others. And there's also the fact that I have to account for ALL mount types like Horses, Pegasi, Wyverns, and [maybe] Beastoners/Dragonstoners.

For the life of me I can't think up any other alternatives, so I'd really appreciate some feedbacks/suggestions from everyone. Any idea goes. I'm at a slump so even a joke idea might turn some gears. Thank you!

(Also, I'm brainstorming about range vs melee balancing as well but I'm not as stuck on that as I am with mounts. If you want to throw some of those ideas around too then feel free!)

Edited by Atticus Lee

In a platformer being on a mount means that you have a larger hitbox and thus have a harder time dodging. I can see a person rolling across the ground, I can't see a person on a mount doing the same thing. In a platformer, I'd probably NOT want a mount by virtue that I'd have a huge hitbox, and I'd honestly have to have a reason to have such a giant disadvantage. Also, I'd expect turning around on a mount would also be slower than a person on foot as well.

I don't know, I see mounts as a horrible thing in most games. Unless it's something like Mario where it's an extra jump, or invincibility to death on a mount unless you are crushed or fall off a cliff.