Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Rex Glacies

1 minute ago, Thane said:

Mild gameplay spoilers.

Hide contents

Yes, that's what I thought as well. It would just be so satisfying to clear out Hyrule Castle.

Oh yeah, can you upgrade weapons somehow? I've found upgrades for practically everything but that; some weapons say things like "increased durability".

There may be a great fairy for it or something, but if there's a way I haven't found it.

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you can in some way, because the weapons I got in the major test of strength in the shrine in the middle of the sea by Hateno Village were marked with "++" by their names. This makes me think they're upgraded forms of the originals.

13 minutes ago, Dai said:

There's a SELFIE option. FULL-BODY.

Not all that surprising, you could do this in TWW HD with the Pictobox too. :P Though not full-body, I think.

Edited by Anacybele

Spoiler

(...You know, out of all things I expected from this game, a large fire moon wasn't one of them. That was freaky.)

Anyway, so it looks like the Goddess statue at the Temple of Time will award you with either a heart container or more stamina depending on how many shrines you finish. Are there any recommendations on what to pick? I was thinking of choosing either-or each time (I picked heart container first, so stamina will come next, and then repeat)

12 minutes ago, spiderbrush said:
  Hide contents

(...You know, out of all things I expected from this game, a large fire moon wasn't one of them. That was freaky.)

Anyway, so it looks like the Goddess statue at the Temple of Time will award you with either a heart container or more stamina depending on how many shrines you finish. Are there any recommendations on what to pick? I was thinking of choosing either-or each time (I picked heart container first, so stamina will come next, and then repeat)

Personally I always go for hearts over stamina. The enemies do so much damage this time around so its nice to have more hearts for them to burn through .
I also don't think you really need a lot of stamina. I only upgraded my stamina twice and after my first upgrade there was hardly a thing I couldn't climb once I knew how to go about it. 

[/spoiler] Getting the master sword is also directly tied to your heart count

Edited by Etrurian emperor

18 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Why no fishing, though?

That's a good question, actually. Fishing is another Zelda staple missing from this game. No hearts, no real dungeons, no fishing... This is kind of why I feel the game isn't as good as everyone says. It's great, don't get me wrong. One of the best games I ever played, really. But it doesn't feel right when you throw away that many staples in a game. It'd be like FE throwing out the weapon triangle and magic or Mario ditching his mustache and cap.

Of course, there's also the story which I find mediocre (though not terrible).

Otherwise, I give this game a big thumbs up, honestly.

Edited by Anacybele

I recently went through my second dungeon. I went from Gerudo desert to the mountains with the Rito's and I have to ask did anyone else find the Rito related quest to be somewhat lackluster? Unlike the Gerudo dungeon you don't really need to do much before you are allowed to enter the Rito dungeon and the dungeon itself was extremely short. It took like 15 minutes for me to complete that one.

On the other hand the boss was less cheap and a lot more fun then the Gerudo dungeon boss though.

Edited by Sasori

On the note about the heart container requirements for the Master Sword, that's the one thing I don't really like about this game. It feels kinda arbitrary. It gets more frustrating when you have a lot of hearts, and then you just barely FAIL to get it, and it keeps happening even though you have MORE hearts.

11 hours ago, Nobody said:

Link cooks like Ignis, takes pictures like Prompto and climbs like Gladio

Why no fishing, though?

This game has the best kind of fishing, fishing by blowing the fish up.

Like, despite hating fish as food irl, they very quickly became my main food source in this game...

11 hours ago, Sasori said:

I recently went through my second dungeon. I went from Gerudo desert to the mountains with the Rito's and I have to ask did anyone else find the Rito related quest to be somewhat lackluster? Unlike the Gerudo dungeon you don't really need to do much before you are allowed to enter the Rito dungeon and the dungeon itself was extremely short. It took like 15 minutes for me to complete that one.

On the other hand the boss was less cheap and a lot more fun then the Gerudo dungeon boss though.

I haven't done Vah Naboris, but of the three Divine Beasts I have done, I'd say Rudania > Medoh > Ruta.

Screw Ruta as a dungeon, I like Mipha and all, but it was so guesswork filled with the trunk moving thing.

All three were rather small though.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

25 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

I haven't done Vah Naboris.

Oh dear.

26 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Screw Ruta as a dungeon, it was so guesswork filled with the trunk moving thing.

Oh my goodness yes, and it took forever for the thing to move! 

51 minutes ago, Thane said:

Oh dear.

Oh my goodness yes, and it took forever for the thing to move! 

Oh dear?

I was planning on doing it next.

But yeah screw Vah Ruta haha.  So very tedious...

6 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Oh dear?

It might just have taken me a little while to get a a good idea of how the thing worked, but do tell me what you think of it when you get there.

Edited by Thane

6 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I actually found Ruta fairly easy. There weren't that many switches to go through and the boss was a total wimp. 

It was the Gerudo dungeon that was the tricky one.

Oh, it was easy, it just involved a lot of guesswork and waiting while it adjusted.  The mechanic was fairly simple, you just had to estimate a lot and that got old fast.  

I found it boring and poorly designed, basically.

Waterblight Ganon was a wimp though yeah, in general I don't think the blights have been very good bosses, they feel very copy and paste in terms of design and in general their attack patterns were rather easy to figure out while Link just arrowspams, maybe Thunderblight is better... In general I think TWW or TP were much better when it comes to bosses.

3 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Oh, it was easy, it just involved a lot of guesswork and waiting while it adjusted.  The mechanic was fairly simple, you just had to estimate a lot and that got old fast.  

I found it boring and poorly designed, basically.

Waterblight Ganon was a wimp though yeah, in general I don't think the blights have been very good bosses, they feel very copy and paste in terms of design and in general their attack patterns were rather easy to figure out while Link just arrowspams, maybe Thunderblight is better... In general I think TWW or TP were much better when it comes to bosses.

Well that depends on the boss. The blights certainly aren't a super amazing(though I found thunderblight hard) but the Lynel is a bit of a highpoint as far as Zelda bosses go. 

How the hell are you supposed to travel the volcano when it burns you to death? I haven't found any clothing or anything that resists this. Would cooking Chillshrooms and eating them work?

This sucks though, I just went through a ton of ridiculous and unfair enemies (they're extremely strong and knock you out in one hit if not almost one hit) and I had to leave because all of a sudden Link started taking damage from heat or fire or something.

55 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

How the hell are you supposed to travel the volcano when it burns you to death? I haven't found any clothing or anything that resists this. Would cooking Chillshrooms and eating them work?

This sucks though, I just went through a ton of ridiculous and unfair enemies (they're extremely strong and knock you out in one hit if not almost one hit) and I had to leave because all of a sudden Link started taking damage from heat or fire or something.

There is a stable near the foot of the mountain, a lady there sells fireproof elixirs, that'll nullify that.

Making your own requires an ingredient only on Death Mountain, fireproof lizards.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

1 hour ago, Glaceon Mage said:

There is a stable near the foot of the mountain, a lady there sells fireproof elixirs, that'll nullify that.

Making your own requires an ingredient only on Death Mountain, fireproof lizards.

Oh, I see. Okay then.

Speaking of hearts, I should get more of them. I'm tired of near everything taking Link out in one hit or almost one hit (I think this is unfair, but we can't make the monsters weaker..). I have six hearts right now, and around 16 Spirit Orbs. I've only found two goddess statues though, the one in the Temple of Time and the one in Kakariko. I haven't seen any others. Can we use them again or do we have to find others?