Cornguy

So I've got two PSPs that have hit the same dead-end.

Now, I haven't quite narrowed down what went wrong yet. But essentially, the PSPs will not turn on if they're not plugged into the charger. The orange charge light is on when I plug it in, implying that its charging, but it immediately turns off if I unplug it. This wouldn't be that much of an issue, as I don't mind playing it on the couch, but it will eventually kick itself off the charger anywhere between 10 and 30 minutes.

I don't know if this is the trouble, but both times this happened after using the gbsp kai emulator. I've formatted the memory stick, re-done the custom firmware song and dance, bought a new battery from batteries+, though I'm pretty sure its a 3rd party battery, if that makes a difference. Worked for a little while, hit the same bump eventually. Didn't save any emulators onto the stick that time.

So I guess what I'm asking, is if anyone with knowledge on the subject knows if my trouble lies in the PSP or the battery. I know there are better places to ask, but I like it here. Even on internet forums, I have my comfort zone.

One thing I did see while looking up similar issues, someone said that the PSP has an internal measure against 3rd party batteries, and supposedly batteries that have the Pandora mod can be suspect as well. They supposedly charge to capacity, and the PSP stops acknowledging(?) the battery. The solution is to drain the battery to empty by hooking it up to a light or something. Then charge it, and its supposed to work. 

It sounded like a temporary fix, and I'll have to look up how to properly rig the battery to a light bulb, so I don't blow it up or anything. But it'd be better than nothing if it works. If I get a chance to try it before anyone else has a solution, I'll let you all know how it goes.

Anything helps, if you know its the PSP or the battery, or if you know a fix to keep it from booting me off the charger. I would rather not get a third PSP, but if its definitely the PSP, then that's that.

And I know, custom firmware, modding, all that noise, I run these risks.

Apologies in advance if this isn't the place to ask.

EDIT: Not important enough to warrant a double-post, but I switched charger cords, and now it will stay on if its plugged in. So I guess I had a bum cord in tandem with my bad batteries.

My PSP situation is no longer so dire, but still, if anyone has any ideas, I'd still like to hear them.

Edited by Cornguy