Advertising for Echoes

11 minutes ago, mikethepokemaster said:

I thought Fates sold 1.84 mill while Awakening sold 1.98 mill so Awakening still the most sold.

Those are physical sales. Fates sold a ton of digital copies because the game incentivized you to do so after buying the physical copy of one version.

Then again, more recent numbers contradict the idea that Awakening and Fates sold even that well WITH digital sales, so I dunno.

Edited by Slumber

13 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Those are physical sales. Fates sold a ton of digital copies because the game incentivized you to do so after buying the physical copy of one version.

Then again, more recent numbers contradict the idea that Awakening and Fates sold even that well WITH digital sales, so I dunno.

Oh okay so it still #1 in physical sells that kind of make me happy since Awakening my favorite fire emblem game 2nd comes blazing Sword. I want to try the 4th game but it a bit dated and the mechanics are to slow for me.

On 2/16/2017 at 0:59 AM, InfinityAlex said:

Being honest, I've never really seen any advertising for Fire Emblem games. Of course I was following Fates since its announcement, but I've never seen anything like adverts in newspapers and on TV. Most I've ever seen must be an internet ad or two. That said, given how aggressively Nintendo is marketing the Switch, Echoes could be getting a good ad campaign, and maybe FE Switch after that (speaking of, what's the verdict on numbering with that? Is it FE15 or FE16?).

I actually think that because of the Switch, Echoes won't get much advertisement. I think Nintendo doesn't wanna confuse people about why they are still making 3DS games when they are trying to advertise the Switch as their future. Ofcourse, the hardcore fanbase will know about it, but I don't know how the less hardcore Fire Emblem players will hear of this game and buy it.

FE7 was easy to find out about as a kid because with every GBA game you'd get a little advertisement pamphlet promoting similar games, inside the cardboard box. So you'd buy Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and then it'd sell you on FE7 or vice-versa. Same for Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga--they all released around the same time and were RPGs. From there Nintendo had an official message board that eventually led to the creation of other fan sites like this and many others which made it easy to stay up on the news.

I'd have to guess that the modern equivalent would be putting up youtube videos close to release and putting an announcement in Fire Emblem Heroes. Stuff like that will work well enough at letting people know the game exists, far better than magazine or TV spots these days. After a google they'd find this site for more organized information and news. I wish they still also put paper pamphlet advertisements in cartridge cases, but they've cheaped out on those to the extent that even the manual is full digital.

1 hour ago, lysander said:

FE7 was easy to find out about as a kid because with every GBA game you'd get a little advertisement pamphlet promoting similar games, inside the cardboard box. So you'd buy Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and then it'd sell you on FE7 or vice-versa. Same for Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga--they all released around the same time and were RPGs. From there Nintendo had an official message board that eventually led to the creation of other fan sites like this and many others which made it easy to stay up on the news.

I'd have to guess that the modern equivalent would be putting up youtube videos close to release and putting an announcement in Fire Emblem Heroes. Stuff like that will work well enough at letting people know the game exists, far better than magazine or TV spots these days. After a google they'd find this site for more organized information and news. I wish they still also put paper pamphlet advertisements in cartridge cases, but they've cheaped out on those to the extent that even the manual is full digital.

There is one huge different between these two things, though: The latter assumes that you already know about FE, and are actively looking for more.

Those pamphlets were great. That's where I learned that FE came to America. The thing is, though, those pamphlets were included in a lot of high-profile RPG/adventure games. The GBA version of A Link to the Past had the pamphlet, Superstar Saga, like you said, FFTA, and Sword of Mana. The former two were entries in Nintendo's two biggest franchises outside of Pokemon, and the latter two were two RPGs from Square-Enix when the name still meant something. Those pamphlets pretty much said "If you like any of these high-profile games, check out Fire Emblem and Advance Wars!", which was pretty big.

It exemplifies my problem with NoA. They've gotten incredibly lazy with marketing anything that isn't Mario, Pokemon or Zelda. They pretty much let Nintendo Directs sell games in America. Any advertising they do that doesn't involve content lifted directly from a Direct, they usually start doing like, two weeks prior to release. It didn't used to be this way. Fire Emblem was advertised with ALttP a full year before FE7 even came out here.

Edited by Slumber

On 2/18/2017 at 1:38 AM, mikethepokemaster said:

I thought Fates sold 1.84 mill while Awakening sold 1.98 mill so Awakening still the most sold.

that's over the course of almost 5 years now

fates has been out for only 2

I guess time will tell