• Hayato
    • Kaze
    • Saizo
    • Kaden
    • Azama
    • Yukimura
    • Shura
    • Izana

There are many definitions for the term "basic" but how to define it in terms of Fire Emblem? The primary definition is a person who is unoriginal, or "extra regular". And with the repetitive nature of supports, and a flood of retainer characters, the "basic" activities  and quirks should be easy to spot. Be sure to include your personal definition of basic for your answer! For this poll, I have excluded Corrin due to his tenuous connection to the nation of Hoshido and because he would totally win by virtue of being the avatar. Nobody is more basic than the player.

I must confess I'm torn with this selection of characters. First to mind is Hinata. This man is all training, training, and more training. Nearly every support involves his quest to become stronger. And his answer to other people's problems: More training! Even his S rank confessions follow a standard pattern of casual confession > admission that he can live without their love> they love him anyway. Though I will admit a few moments of intrigue, such as his fast and perfectly conceived friendship with Odin. Next is Kaze, he's just too sincere. Surely he has some hobbies beyond being the sweet, sensitive guy he is? And Kaden, the laguz dropout. This game has many characters that overreact to small, kind gestures. And repaying debts is the beginning and end to Kaden's personality, leaving behind only a lavish fur coat. And his reclass is the Diviner set. Useless heart seal classes? Tsk, you basic.

28 minutes ago, Gustavos said:

There are many definitions for the term "basic" but how to define it in terms of Fire Emblem? The primary definition is a person who is unoriginal, or "extra regular". And with the repetitive nature of supports, and a flood of retainer characters, the "basic" activities  and quirks should be easy to spot. Be sure to include your personal definition of basic for your answer! For this poll, I have excluded Corrin due to his tenuous connection to the nation of Hoshido and because he would totally win by virtue of being the avatar. Nobody is more basic than the player.

I must confess I'm torn with this selection of characters. First to mind is Hinata. This man is all training, training, and more training. Nearly every support involves his quest to become stronger. And his answer to other people's problems: More training! Even his S rank confessions follow a standard pattern of casual confession > admission that he can live without their love> they love him anyway. Though I will admit a few moments of intrigue, such as his fast and perfectly conceived friendship with Odin. Next is Kaze, he's just too sincere. Surely he has some hobbies beyond being the sweet, sensitive guy he is? And Kaden, the laguz dropout. This game has many characters that overreact to small, kind gestures. And repaying debts is the beginning and end to Kaden's personality, leaving behind only a lavish fur coat. And his reclass is the Diviner set. Useless heart seal classes? Tsk, you basic.

Wait, so this question is "which of the Hoshidan males do you think is the flattest in characterization"? Because my definition of "basic" when applied to people is far, far different...but that's a story for a different thread.

Uh, this question is a bit hard to answer for me because I don't really think that any of the Hoshidan characters came off as completely flat, but they lack a lot of the gimmicks and extreme personalities that the Nohrian characters have, making them seem that way. For the most part, the Hoshidan characters are relatively normal people with a few stronger traits, Imo all of them showed enough depth that they aren't too flat. And all of them have hidden personality traits to some extent. Even Ryoma, who is the perfect guy or something like that, is more impulsive and emotional than he wants people to know underneath his cool, collected exterior.

Hinata's not just training. He's kind of just excited about everything. He's also a friendly, sweet guy who can be unexpectedly sentimental, like in his supports with Hisame, where he names him sword after him so he can feel closer to Hisame even when he can't physically interact with him. Kaze is gentle and sensitive, but he shows that he's also got a teasing, cheeky side in his supports with Nyx, when he teases her incessantly about reading cheesy romance novels.

Kaden's got his happy-go-lucky thing going on as well as being pretty lazy; he's almost a pet in the same vein that Keaten is. Not to mention, In all fairness, Kaden's fur coat is fabulous. :P:

Ahh, I've gone through every support in Hoshido, and if we go for "flat" or at least the most "samey" and predictable in their supports, I'd have to give it to Azama.

Almost every support with him begins with him trolling whomever he's with and seeing how his victims react. He's so casually abrasive and high-handed, and just apathetic most of the time, despite being outwardly bubbly. 

Also, sucks that he's the only default Great Master unit, is fabulous one at that, but promoting him renders his personal skill moot as it only activates if he has no weapon to equip.

Although, I give the writers credit in that he acts loving to Corrin as his wife in My Room quotes, and is unendingly bewildered by his falling in love and caring about the well being of his wife and his child/ren. 

But, yeah, Assama. Easiest guy to summarize.

27 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

Wait, so this question is "which of the Hoshidan males do you think is the flattest in characterization"? Because my definition of "basic" when applied to people is far, far different...but that's a story for a different thread.

Uh, this question is a bit hard to answer for me because I don't really think that any of the Hoshidan characters came off as completely flat, but they lack a lot of the gimmicks and extreme personalities that the Nohrian characters have, making them seem that way. For the most part, the Hoshidan characters are relatively normal people with a few stronger traits, Imo all of them showed enough depth that they aren't too flat. And all of them have hidden personality traits to some extent. Even Ryoma, who is the perfect guy or something like that, is more impulsive and emotional than he wants people to know underneath his cool, collected exterior.

Hinata's not just training. He's kind of just excited about everything. He's also a friendly, sweet guy who can be unexpectedly sentimental, like in his supports with Hisame, where he names him sword after him so he can feel closer to Hisame even when he can't physically interact with him. Kaze is gentle and sensitive, but he shows that he's also got a teasing, cheeky side in his supports with Nyx, when he teases her incessantly about reading cheesy romance novels.

Kaden's got his happy-go-lucky thing going on as well as being pretty lazy; he's almost a pet in the same vein that Keaten is. Not to mention, In all fairness, Kaden's fur coat is fabulous. :P:

If characters falling flat is your definition then that works. True to its application in the real world, Basic can mean whatever you think is most appropriate in order to denegrate the people you feel deserve it. When one of these guys says or does something and you can't help but say "...you basic". When their portrait or model looks goofy. When their battle or private quarter quotes have no authenticity. When their character-named weapon or personal skill is awful. Just get as petty as you can get!

27 minutes ago, Altrosa said:

Ahh, I've gone through every support in Hoshido, and if we go for "flat" or at least the most "samey" and predictable in their supports, I'd have to give it to Azama.

Almost every support with him begins with him trolling whomever he's with and seeing how his victims react. He's so casually abrasive and high-handed, and just apathetic most of the time, despite being outwardly bubbly. 

Also, sucks that he's the only default Great Master unit, is fabulous one at that, but promoting him renders his personal skill moot as it only activates if he has no weapon to equip.

Although, I give the writers credit in that he acts loving to Corrin as his wife in My Room quotes, and is unendingly bewildered by his falling in love and caring about the well being of his wife and his child/ren. 

But, yeah, Assama. Easiest guy to summarize.

Oh my god, but Azama is like the best character in the game though. He's hilarious as hell, because he has zero patience for everyone else's BS, and is not shy about pointing out when they're being dumb. How can you not appreciate him? :lol:

Oh, but is he a dick? Totally. But I mean, being honest is the best policy right?

Plus, he manages to start his own cult of personality in his solo ending. That...is an accomplishment, to say the least.

4 hours ago, Extrasolar said:

Oh my god, but Azama is like the best character in the game though. He's hilarious as hell, because he has zero patience for everyone else's BS, and is not shy about pointing out when they're being dumb. How can you not appreciate him? :lol:

Oh, but is he a dick? Totally. But I mean, being honest is the best policy right?

Plus, he manages to start his own cult of personality in his solo ending. That...is an accomplishment, to say the least.

Lol, I feel like most of his supports give actual development to whomever he's harassing verses him, thus his whole character being "basic."

Hayato. We've seen the archetype many times before, and he doesn't do much to differentiate himself. His similarities to Ricken are particularly evident, in fact his support with the Avatar is a near copy of Ricken's.

2 hours ago, joshcja said:

Why is Hinoka not on this list.

Uh, cause she's not a bro. :blink:

4 hours ago, Altrosa said:

Lol, I feel like most of his supports give actual development to whomever he's harassing verses him, thus his whole character being "basic."

I suppose that's a fair point. Azama himself is pretty loathe to change, and that's part of what I like about him. He doesn't give a shit about what people think about him. He's pretty confident that way. Lol.

4 hours ago, YouSquiddinMe said:

Kaze is such a bore as a unit and a character.

After some thought, if I had to give it to one of these units in particular, it would be Kaze. Not that I think he's boring or anything . . . just, he comes off as irresponsible on the Birthright and Revelation paths, not even trying to take responsibility for turning his back on his homeland, clan, and family...and it's especially bad on the Conquest path, considering he's siding with Hoshido's mortal enemy. I mean, your character should have advanced past it hinging on Corrin a lot of the time, but a lot of the other shared characters have the same problem, like Jakob and Silas.

Edited by Extrasolar