Your thoughts on affinities + my affinity headcanon

Dragoncat

Affinities  

27 members have voted

1. 1. According to my system, what is your affinity?

• Fire
    • Ice
    • Thunder
    • Wind
    • Earth
    • Light
    • Dark
    • Cosmic
  2. 2. Should affinities return?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

3 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

I feel that everyone who voted no here was taking things too seriously. You can think horoscopes are inaccurate and stupid irl, but that doesn't mean they're not interesting and fun to incorporate into FE lore.

So you didn't actually want to know everyone's opinion. You just want to be praised for your great idea. Yeah, it doesn't work that way. And why would they be interesting or fun? From all those examples you brought up, they're on level with Old Bubba or whatever his name was. (Though he had far more presence than he deserved, imo.) And he was pretty stupid.

That said, surprise, surprise, there is not one way to have fun and if you don't want to hear from people who have a different sense of fun, write that in the OP.

Just now, Efina Leonhart said:

So you didn't actually want to know everyone's opinion. You just want to be praised for your great idea. Yeah, it doesn't work that way. And why would they be interesting or fun? From all those examples you brought up, they're on level with Old Bubba or whatever his name was. (Though he had far more presence than he deserved, imo.) And he was pretty stupid.

That said, surprise, surprise, there is not one way to have fun and if you don't want to hear from people who have a different sense of fun, write that in the OP.

Hey, I didn't attack anybody. I never said your opinions were stupid nor that I didn't want to hear them. I simply said, yes I understand that horoscopes irl are normally dumb and inaccurate, but I enjoy the idea behind them and making headcanons. If you don't, that's okay. Now let's not turn this into an argument that results in a locked thread.

I got cosmic, but none of those traits fit me at all.

As for affinities themselves, I wouldn't mind if they came back. But isn't the personal stat system Awakening and Fates has just a modified affinity system?

I got Dark.

Which is actually good cause Dark is my favourite affinit, though it was close, my birthday is on the 28th XD. Quiet and intelligent are true... but Aloof and Greedy are not. Yes, affinity should return. This is my idea for affinities:

In FE 4, Holy Blood affected growths, so my idea is that different affinities boosted different growths, and maybe the player being able to choose the affinity of some characters (Like the 3 initial Tier 0 units, gaiden style) and the affinity of the avatar, instead of Boon and Bane. Bonuses could also be minor or major, maybe depending if the character has royal blood or some other factor.

From reading the Atributes I think these should be the bonuses (in my opinion):

Fire- +10% STR (Minor) (Fierce) +15% STR and +5% Support Bonuses: C, B, A, S (Major) (Passionate)

Ice- +10% SKL (Minor) (Observant) +15% SKL and +5% RES (Major) (Serene)

Thunder- +10% DEF (Minor) (Bold) +15% DEF and +5% SPD (Major) (Witty) (The ability to think of jokes really fast)

Wind- +10% SPD (Minor) (Flexible) +15% SPD and +5% MAG (Curious)

Earth- +10% RES (Minor) (Calm) +15% RES and +5% STR (Strong)

Light- +5% Support Bonuses: C, B, A, A+ (Minor) (Kind) +10% Support Bonuses: C, B, A, A+ +5% LCK (Major) (Cheerlful)

Dark- +10% MAG (Minor) (Intelligent) +15% MAG and +5% SKL (Quiet) (With silence comes concentracion, and with concentracion comes hit)

Cosmic- +10% LCK (Minor) (Talented) +15% LCK and +5% Critical (Major) (Serious)

I'm Ice. Nice. I suppose serene would sort of describe me. I like to think patience is my one of greatest virtues, if nothing else. And, I can have those moments where I'm a tad bit more innocent (or rather, ignorant) than one my age should be.

I wouldn't particularly mind if affinities came back. The horoscope thing seems fun, and I wouldn't mind if small bonuses like that returned. To be honest, I wouldn't mind if any of the features from the older games returned. As long as they are balanced for the newer games.

Hmm... guess I'm Cosmic. While I am serious most of the time, I do laugh easily. However, I probably am talented. xD

Since this is kind of relevant as well, I'll post this here.

Star signs of the Tellius crew

Fire signs: Aries/Leo/Saggitarius
Water signs: Pisces/Cancer/Scorpio
Earth signs: Taurus/Virgo/Capricorn
Air signs: Aquarius/Gemini/Libra

Elincia - Pisces
Lucia   - Virgo/Earth
Geoffrey - Cancer
Bastian - Gemini/Wind
Kieran - Aries
Nephenee - Virgo
Brom - Cancer
Heather - Libra
Calill - Leo
Ike - Aries/Taurus cusp ( Earth )    if his birthday falls between 18 - 23 April, he becomes a cusp, having traits of both signs. I put it as the 20th of April to coincide with FE9's Japanese release.
Mist - Pisces/Water
Titania - Cancer
Soren - Capricorn
Boyd - Aries/Fire
Oscar - Virgo/Earth
Rhys - Aquarius
Shinon - Leo
Gatrie - Libra
Mia - Aries/Fire
Tanith - Capricorn/Earth
Largo - Gemini
Sigrun - Pisces/Water
Nolan - Capricorn/Earth
Edward - Saggitarius
Leonardo - Aquarius
Zihark - Cancer
Ilyana - Food. No seriously, she has NO personality.
Meg: Saggitarius
Fiona: Capricorn/Earth

Added Nephenee, Brom, Meg and Fiona

Perfect zodiac sign matches: According to astrology-zodiac-signs.com

Pisces x Virgo ( Elincia/Lucia ) - 86%
"true love"

Pisces x Cancer ( Elincia/Geoffrey ) - 72%
"love at first sight"

Taurus x Capricorn ( Ike/Soren ) - 89% 
"unbreakable bond" Two Earths are indestructible. That's why the Earth affinity is so broken...

Leo x Gemini ( Calill x Largo ) - 82%
"solid foundation of childish joy."

Not so compatible:

Virgo x Aries ( Oscar/Kieran ) - EarthxFire
Virgo x Gemini - ( Lucia/Bastian ) - 40%

Amusing in hindsight, tbqh. Though I'm still puzzled why Elincia's affinity was Heaven. Seeing as her retainers already made up 3/4 of the primary elements, Elincia being Water would have rounded it off nicely. And it's just a better affinity.

>Number of characteristics given that match my personality: 0/4

>The majority of my friends (as in 12 out of 14) are poorly described by traits listed under their affinities

>Light and ice are not considered to be compatible

0/10 would not use again

Edited by Sunwoo

On 3/3/2017 at 10:44 PM, Sunwoo said:

>Light and ice are not considered to be compatible

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience, but may I ask why you used that as a basis for "0/10 would not use again"? Light and ice, I put them that way because...well, put an ice cube in sunlight or under a lamp and see what happens.

Like I said, it's a crapshoot. For every person who says "those traits don't describe me" there are people who find them accurate.

@tailfin Awesome.

1 hour ago, Dragoncat said:

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience, but may I ask why you used that as a basis for "0/10 would not use again"? Light and ice, I put them that way because...well, put an ice cube in sunlight or under a lamp and see what happens.

Why should I, personally, use your affinity chart again when your horoscope describes over 80% of people I checked against it (including myself and my closest friends) completely and totally inaccurately? And why should I use a horoscope that wholly fails to amuse me because it doesn't even list Shin's affinity and my affinity as being compatible?

More importantly, I don't think your characteristics for your affinities are well thought out. They are too specific, and you sound more like you're trying to describe some base characteristics for certain characters rather than general human traits. Because people are so widely diverse, you need to find more generic "catch all" traits but phrase them in a way that makes them sound different from one another. You're just basically describing characters. Also, "kind", "intelligent", "innocent", and "talented" are not personality traits.