Affinity Discussion

Meteor

Which affinities are best? While it somewhat depends on the class, here's my list:

Fire > Anima > Light > Ice = Thunder > Dark > Wind

Fire just dominates. Full offense + avoid is an amazing combination, great on everything fast (which tends to be most of your units).

Anima is more defensive, but still gives +Dmg. Spectacular.

Light also gives Dmg and goes with just about anything but Dark. Nice one to have.

Ice and Thunder are even overall, with the only difference being the choice between +Hit or +Crit. The unit's class and support list will determine the more desirable element.

Dark is great if you have high offense, and it matches 3 values with more affinities than the others do.

Wind is a poor man's Fire. Anima and Light are also both preferable. It doesn't do anything another affinity can't do better.

It's too bad there's no +Atk/Def/Crit/Avo affinity.

Since CEv is a throwaway bonus, Fire and Light are both leagues better than Wind. That also means Dark only gives 3 desired bonuses, all of which Fire has with the addition of +Dmg.

Basically the bonuses are ranked like this in order of importance:

Dmg > Def/Res > Avo > Crit > Hit >>> CEv

There may be some contest among Avo, Crit, Hit, but Dark is still giving the worst bonuses. Its only advantage over Wind is its uniqueness.

I'll go different on this one.

Anima > Thunder > Fire > Light > Ice > Dark > Wind

Avoid is obvioiusly the best, but I think crit is generally overrated. Light can be pretty damn good on a Swordmaster, and it's probably the one I had the most trouble placing.

I just prefer DEF to STR.

It's crit and hit vs def and crit avo, not just crit vs def.

Anyway, I don't see how crit is over rated. Assuming a double attack.. 25 crit from supports + 20 skl + S rank = 64% chance to kill something you don't have enough atk to kill in two normal hits. Add a killer weapon, and it becomes a 91% chance. That's pretty w1n.

Certain affinities are obviously going to be a bit better for certain classes, but at the end of the day, you chose the only character with hit issues. The other axe users get progressively better hit - To the point where by time you actually get major supports, they're content. Especially Hector who *eventually* gets a sword. Geitz has issues, but he's hardly popular, and doesn't have fire affinity anyway.

you chose the only character with hit issues.

You forgot Bartre.

Now don't forget that enemies can be on terrain, like forests, pillars, or peaks. Or you may need to hit with an inaccurate weapon, like a halberd. Or may be attacking an enemy with good avoid, like a hero or valkyrie. Or may even be attacking an enemy with good avoid using an inaccurate weapon, like a halberd on a valkyrie so you can one-shot it so that it doesn't double-attack you. (lol HHM Valkyries ftw. They have like 20 spd.) Or attacking a boss.

Edited by Reikken