I used to hate Knights and such...

Janus

So usually I never went near Brom, Gatrie, or Tauroneo really. Then I watched a Let's Play of FE7 where I saw Oswin kick ass. So on my last playthrough, I figured I'd give Brom a try on a Fixed mode run on Easy, and babied him a bit.

I was awed at what he became. Most enemies were hard-pressed to even hurt him, and I lol'd as he would even dodge many attacks. Myrmidons were helpless against his big armored bulk, and even tigers couldn't scratch him by the time he promoted. He ended up getting to 20/20 first, even before Ike. Plus when he got Luna, it was awesome to watch, though he tended to use it a lot more when he was using a sword. I ended up forging him an iron sword and called it Plowshare.

He kicked quite a bit of ass with it. In short, I'm going to give more respect to those big behemoths in plate.

So usually I never went near Brom, Gatrie, or Tauroneo really. Then I watched a Let's Play of FE7 where I saw Oswin kick ass. So on my last playthrough, I figured I'd give Brom a try on a Fixed mode run on Easy, and babied him a bit.

I was awed at what he became. Most enemies were hard-pressed to even hurt him, and I lol'd as he would even dodge many attacks. Myrmidons were helpless against his big armored bulk, and even tigers couldn't scratch him by the time he promoted. He ended up getting to 20/20 first, even before Ike. Plus when he got Luna, it was awesome to watch, though he tended to use it a lot more when he was using a sword. I ended up forging him an iron sword and called it Plowshare.

He kicked quite a bit of ass with it. In short, I'm going to give more respect to those big behemoths in plate.

You should have given respect to them to start with anyways they are really awesome

The reason people dislike Brom is because his armor is ugly, and he's ugly, and he doesn't have gatrie's knightly stats on average. But god dammit, he deserves respect for being faster than the other two. Besides, he promised Zihark his daughter's hand in marriage! He's an awesome guy :D

I picked Brom because I always though that Speed was more important than Strength, and by the time you get Gatrie back if you bothered to raise Brom, he's just so much better. 5 Speed FTL, Gatrie.

And yes, I gave him the Knight Ward once Astrid capped her Speed (which was pretty fast, actually) to improve his Speed growth (and make him even more resistant to physical damage), and also gave him a Speedwing or two. It was only near the end of the game that Brom stopped doubling everything that wasn't a Swordmaster or a cat (which couldn't damage him anyway).

I believe he ended up capping Defense and Skill.

Tough call, but I give the edge to Brom. Yeah, Gatrie has better growths in everything, but only by 5% so it's pretty rare that Gatrie will really take off on a stat Brom lags behind in. Bases give Brom the edge assuming you decide to use Brom right away. If you skip out on the first map you can really use him or under utilize him for a few stages, Gatrie is probably better especially because he'll have a level lead when he rejoins.

Because their stats are so incredibly similar, I'd say it pretty much comes down to supports. They both have pretty good affinities (can't go wrong with even more defense on guys you plan on enemies to attack, and the extra attack boost for Brom helps out compared to Gatrie's strength lead while the accuracy boost helps Gatrie out vs. Brom's skill lead) and both support some pretty great units. Gatrie's girl squad all rock (I'd say A rank with Marcia probably helps him out the most because avoiding guys isn't an issue when they barely hurt you if at all so the extra power and accuracy are nice) and Brom's got great supports in Boyd, Nephenee, or Zihark (although the earth affinity is kind of meh in actually making Brom a better unit).

Gatrie's girl squad all rock (I'd say A rank with Marcia probably helps him out the most because avoiding guys isn't an issue when they barely hurt you if at all so the extra power and accuracy are nice)

5/6 move supporting 8/9 move + flying looks pretty eh to me.

And getting A seems like a waste. The only difference between A and B is some hit, which I rarely ever find that I need, especially that late in the game.

Didn't realize it was only a point. Meh. It's hardly important to either way.

And before you go "OH MAN SHE IS SO FAST AND HE IS SO SLOW" remember that she has canto. The way I used my flyers, I'd park my tank up front with them a few spaces behind so they didn't get hit by anything. Enemy phase, they charge up and crash their wave against your mighty rocks. Your phase, you attack with your flier and then move her again back into position behind your guy (or forward to where "behind" will be after the round ends). You're still getting support bonuses on just about every attack the duo will make.

It works.

I honestly never cared about the types of units I was supporting. I'd take my merry time playing while keeping them together and still managed to beat chapters rather quickly.

Another note I've always been annoyed about: Why is Gatrie heavier than Brom?