Need Help With FE4 Map Editor

CatManThree

I am really into rom hacking, I just find it really enjoyable. I am somewhat of an amateur at hacking GBA games, and I felt like dipping my feet a little into FE4. The first thing I decided to do was find a map editor. I went to the internet and discovered one on another topic here on serenes. I downloaded the zip and extracted it into a folder I made and received these files:

The Files Extracted

I attempted to run the version of the program titled with "English" as the topic post did say the original version of the program was in Japanese. Upon running the program, this error pups up:

Map Editor Error

After I clicked ok the error would message would close, only to pop up again. This occurs about 3 or 4 times every time you click on "ok' or try to close the file before it stops popping up again. This error occurs every time I try to open either version of the program, whether it be the Japanese or English version of the program. It really really confused me so I tried what I usually do in a situation like this: I downloaded the file all over again. After downloading and extracting the files again, I tried running the both programs to the same results as before. Even more confused at this point, realized I hadn't checked the Read Me txt file. Surely this could provide some sort of answers right? Nope. Everything in the txt file was gibberish other than the title of the rom which was labeled at the top of the txt file. 

The Broken Read Me txt file

At a loss for words at that point I decided I needed help. So now I am here. I was thinking I could possibly head to FE shrine and see if there is some sort of better version there, but I wanted to see your guy's input on this whole epidemic. Are you familiar with this problem? There some way to fix it? Some information or help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by CatManThree

Did you try to run the programs in Windows XP yet?

I'm pretty sure old programs can't run well in Windows 10.

Your Notepad doesn't support Japanese text, try to open the text file in any Web Browser, such as Chrome or Firefox, and select the Japanese encoding.

Edited by hanhnn

1 hour ago, hanhnn said:

Did you try to run the programs in Windows XP yet?

My old Windows PC is the only access I have to windows XP, but it is slow a hell and can barely run a thing anymore. So I cant really try that out.

1 hour ago, hanhnn said:

Your Notepad doesn't support Japanese text, try to open the text file in any Web Browser, such as Chrome or Firefox, and select the Japanese encoding.

That worked, thanks for the help on that part. The Read me wasn't even really helpful though in the end. It was literally just a change log that didst offer much at all.

well if you read the error, msvcr71.dll is missing and obviously the zip doesn't have it, a zip file is not an installation program, it is just a compressed set of files

msvcr71 is a common dll file for windows programs, most people don't need to go download it

but since you apparently do I would suggest trying to find if it's somewhere already on your computer (bit likely if you have a number of games downloaded) if not then try online but be wary of viruses

once properly found, place it in your system32/syswow64 folder and try running the map editor again

Edited by Lamia