I want to learn how to hack.

kaonohiokala

Well, we can assume you mean one of the GBA Fire Emblems, by the context of the board and general audience.

Altering data is easy--a hex editor. Hexadecimal is simply a different counting system from decimal; base-16 rather than base-10. This is how most games store data, sometimes in different ways, sometimes moreso in binary.

It's a lot easier to answer your question when it isn't so broad. Perhaps you can decide on one single aspect first, such as graphical edits, or stats, so that we may explain in full detail how one can go about it (side-note: please no one end up saying "use ur nitemare"). It's just easier to learn in chunks for most people, as well as to teach.

If you really want to learn how to make your own patches, then look here.

But then promise me that you will also make a serious patch or that you will at least make a good one. There are too many people who want to learn how to make their own patches lately, so the guys at FEU would appreciate it if their board wouldn't become flooded with "noob hackers".

There is this program called Nightmare. I have it, but I cannot recall where I found it. And then you will need modules like these. Then it should be rather easy to do.

However, you can't really make new names with them.

Technically, you can, but it requires the use of a Hex Editor, and I don't think you want to use one...

Yeah, I've been messing around with the FE8 nightmare mod for a few days. I'm messing around with stuff trying to get used to it. The one that gave me the most trouble was getting Myrrh to promote to a modified dracozombie. For some reason, her dragonstone doesn't have an animation, but Wretched Air does. Also, when I was trying to get Tethys to promote into a modified Queen, I was using the swordmaster animation for her, but whenever I choose Dance the game freezes.

The Dance animation wasn't coded to loop properly, if memory serves, thus the reason for crashing. You could fix it yourself most likely if you create some extra pointers or something or manually loop it back through :/

Technically, you can, but it requires the use of a Hex Editor, and I don't think you want to use one...

... Why not?