Ronnie

Anyone else feel weird about customizing their avatar in FE12-14?

I play games like Pokémon Sun and Toukiden 2 where customizing my character is fine cause they're voiceless self-inserts. With the avatars however, they already have a set personality with voiced dialogue so it feels strange to mold them into my own character. I always considered FE to be about its characters (besides tactics & permadeath) so it seems strange to mess with the story's character like that lol. Or I'm just over-thinking and should just customize away!

I feel the same way. I do change the hair occasionally (to help with differentiating between various save files, and hey, hair color/length are easily changed on a person anyway), but I keep default everything else.

I don't necessarily feel weird about avatar customization, but I do think it hasn't been quite implemented that well.  I was okay with Robin, the shift was definitely focused onto Robin throughout the story rather than staying on Chrom or Lucina.  I would say I felt the weirdest with Corrin though, mostly because Corrin's choices were mostly ones I wouldn't make myself.

Yeah... I like character customization a LOT. I love getting my creative juices flowing. But for 13 and 14, customization didn't really feel like making an avatar, but rather renaming Robin/Corrin and messing with their body's biology. Didn't change they were characters with set personalities or traits, as bland as people make them out to be. Robin's a tactician who likes to read, and Corrin's a noble who likes her/his friends a lot and can get too trusting. Kris probably is the closest thing to a blank slate to comfortably customize in my opinion, but he's sorta detested by the fandom for being shoehorned in, so...