Decide on my *imperial* theme, SF.

On 3-8-2017 at 0:03 AM, Ottokar said:

Why not Charlemagne or Basileios the Bulgar-Slayer?

You could go for General Belisarios while you were at it...

Because Charlemagne is not a real Roman Emperor.

Basil II would be fine though.

On 8/5/2017 at 7:10 AM, Hattusili I said:

Because Charlemagne is not a real Roman Emperor.

Basil II would be fine though.

Edit: Whops, got Charlemagne mixed up with Constantine.

Though, if we're allowed to vote for Byzantine era emperors, I'll support Basil II.

Blind your enemies.

BLIND THEM!

Edited by Rex Glacies

1 minute ago, Rex Glacies said:

What's wrong with Charlemagne?

Though, if we're allowed to vote for Byzantine era emperors, I'll support Basil II.

Blind your enemies.

BLIND THEM!

Charlemagne was a Holy Roman Emperor, which was really the Roman Empire, though the Byzantine wasn't either.

1 hour ago, Rezzy said:

Charlemagne was a Holy Roman Emperor, which was really the Roman Empire, though the Byzantine wasn't either.

After commenting, I realized I mixed up Constantine and Charlemagne, and fixed it almost immediately, hoping no one would see my mistake. But alas, you caught me, and now I am ashamed. Oh, the humility!

Also, what are you talking about? The Byzantines were the rightful inheritors of Rome's glory, not the pretenders of the "Holy Roman Empire". 

9 minutes ago, Rex Glacies said:

After commenting, I realized I mixed up Constantine and Charlemagne, and fixed it almost immediately, hoping no one would see my mistake. But alas, you caught me, and now I am ashamed. Oh, the humility!

Also, what are you talking about? The Byzantines were the rightful inheritors of Rome's glory, not the pretenders of the "Holy Roman Empire". 

Exactly, they were the inheritors of Rome's glory, they weren't Rome themselves.  The Montreal Expos became the Washington Nationals, but they don't keep trying to make everyone believe they are the Montreal Nationals.

1 hour ago, Rezzy said:

Exactly, they were the inheritors of Rome's glory, they weren't Rome themselves.  The Montreal Expos became the Washington Nationals, but they don't keep trying to make everyone believe they are the Montreal Nationals.

If that's a sports reference, I'm afraid I know nothing about them. Regardless, it's not the same thing. The Byzantine Empire is just another name for the Eastern Roman Empire, which survived after the fall of Rome. Byzantine citizens referred to themselves as Romans, and it was only after the Byzantines fell that people referred to the empire as "Byzantine."

5 minutes ago, Rex Glacies said:

If that's a sports reference, I'm afraid I know nothing about them. Regardless, it's not the same thing. The Byzantine Empire is just another name for the Eastern Roman Empire, which survived after the fall of Rome. Byzantine citizens referred to themselves as Romans, and it was only after the Byzantines fell that people referred to the empire as "Byzantine."

North Korea calls itself a Republic, but that doesn't make it true.  Several have tried to call themselves the Roman Empire, but if you don't even have Rome, you aren't the Roman Empire.

3 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

North Korea calls itself a Republic, but that doesn't make it true.  Several have tried to call themselves the Roman Empire, but if you don't even have Rome, you aren't the Roman Empire.

Ah, so you think the Roman Empire can only be "Roman" if it controls Rome? In that sense, Mussolini was the Roman Emperor when he took control of Italy.

3 minutes ago, Rex Glacies said:

Ah, so you think the Roman Empire can only be "Roman" if it controls Rome? In that sense, Mussolini was the Roman Emperor when he took control of Italy.

He would have had a better claim than the Byzantines, if he had gone on to build an Empire.