Unit Banner attempt....

MasashiH

These banners are usually seen when you watch a video of arena runs, GHBs describing the team used.

Taking inspiration on character splash arts with blur around focus area (League of Legends' skin selection when already locked in a champion), I attempted an Alfonse banner.

Since I do not have Photoshop, this was done in Pixlr (on browser, quite limited in comparison to Photoshop). Left attached a screenshot for stats reference.

Alfonse.jpg

Screenshot_2017-08-02-22-43-48.jpg

I like it.  I thought about making a Python program that automatically generates something similar, but I decided I was too busy xD

Pixlr is great, I've been using it for years.  Still plan on buying photoshop one day, it's only $100.00 a year these days. Is it possible to upload pixlr files?  I'd love to get ahold of this to make a few of my own varients, assuming the stats are text.

Edited by Lushen

17 hours ago, Lushen said:

I like it.  I thought about making a Python program that automatically generates something similar, but I decided I was too busy xD

Pixlr is great, I've been using it for years.  Still plan on buying photoshop one day, it's only $100.00 a year these days. Is it possible to upload pixlr files?  I'd love to get ahold of this to make a few of my own varients, assuming the stats are text.

No idea, does pixlr files need an account? I use the editor when I suddenly have something in mind (Sorry for this, but I generally do not save after creating an image).

As for the assets, I googled around a while so....

• Character renders can be found at a nice quality in the fire emblem wikia (did not look into the other fan wiki which is fireemblemwikia)
  • Found a render sheet of UI assets in Spriters Resource (also has other stuff if you want)
  • Stat icons are from a specific google search (League of Legends stat icons, should pop up)
17 hours ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

That's pretty cool! I think a lot of people would like to use this sort of thing as signatures.

Now that I think about it, it looks more like a signature rather than anything. If anyone likes the concept for their videos then it is a bonus.

Got inspired again and pulled out my invested Palla (preparation for Flier Emblem, swapped Goad Fliers for Fortify Fliers). This didn't come out as thought but I think it is okay:

(Note for future unit banners: Add their weapon and movement type icons)

Palla.jpg

Edited by MasashiH

I'm going to nitpick because that's what I do as a former spriter and a current web developer.

• The fonts look really out of place. I think a lot of it is because the game UI uses a border to add contrast between the characters and the background.
  • I'm not fond of italics being used for display of a single element.
  • Elements are not lined up properly with each other. The stats in a single row should share a base line with each other, and the stats in a single column should be left-, center-, or right-aligned.
  • "4*" and "5*" look rather unprofessional. I recommend actually using the star icons from the game assets. Plus, who doesn't like shiny stars next to their characters? Alternatively, you can use the gold/silver/bronze/gray/blue borders instead (or in addition) if you can find the assets.

29 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

I'm going to nitpick because that's what I do as a former spriter and a current web developer.

• The fonts look really out of place. I think a lot of it is because the game UI uses a border to add contrast between the characters and the background.
  • I'm not fond of italics being used for display of a single element.
  • Elements are not lined up properly with each other. The stats in a single row should share a base line with each other, and the stats in a single column should be left-, center-, or right-aligned.
  • "4*" and "5*" look rather unprofessional. I recommend actually using the star icons from the game assets. Plus, who doesn't like shiny stars next to their characters? Alternatively, you can use the gold/silver/bronze/gray/blue borders instead (or in addition) if you can find the assets.

Now I remember that I used to work with Photoshop for signatures. Participated in a gaming community forum, and one of the sections was actually signature presentations. Would have duels, contests and such.
My best work so far was a Master Chief signature with slight fog from behind, and my nickname at the time would have the bright visor of the helmet (forgot the name of that technique to render images through text).

Should've looked further into Spriters Resource's website - they actually have the stars :V

TBH, I wasn't tryharding with these two banners, but could tryhard for future ones. Need to relearn what I did years before.

Thanks for feedback!

Edited by MasashiH