• Forde
    • Kyle
    • Amelia
    • Orson (CC only)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on the size of your team at varying points in the game. If you only use four earlygame people, like Franz/Lute/Arthur/Vanessa, then Seth is only better than Franz until ~Ch9. Or make it even five or six, then it becomes Ch11 or Ch12.

If you have a huge squad, however, using people like Eirika, Gilliam, Ross, Neimi, etc, then it takes longer for Franz to surpass Seth, if he even does, while the gap between Seth and the team remains very large.

Also, one shouldn't forget to take into account that Franz has the option of either being a Paladin like Seth, or trading 2 mov for better statistics + axes by becoming Great Knight. An advantage no matter how you rate them.

Overall, I'm going to go with Seth, but it's quite close imo.

EDIT: For Orson, he's the only unit in the game that's the best for all the time you have him, which is cool to think about, but it's only one chapter...in CC he is craptastic, since he has bad "joining time" (you already have to clear a bit to get him...I consider the CC ends when you have Lyon). And his stats suck and he has no supports, so he needs more stat boosts to still be inferior.

Forde and Kyle don't quite match up, I think, though if you are going Eirika route (meaning there's no need to level up Ephraim, while there is for Eirika) and you are using many other earlygame people, they'll have a level lead when they join up with you.

Edited by Mekkah

I voted for Seth. He's awesome to start with and stays good throughout the entire game. Franz is a close second with Kyle and Forde fighting over third place. I've never used Amelia as a Paladin and Orson only has one chapter where he's actually useful.

Depends on the size of your team at varying points in the game. If you only use four earlygame people, like Franz/Lute/Arthur/Vanessa, then Seth is only better than Franz until ~Ch9. Or make it even five or six, then it becomes Ch11 or Ch12.

If you have a huge squad, however, using people like Eirika, Gilliam, Ross, Neimi, etc, then it takes longer for Franz to surpass Seth, if he even does, while the gap between Seth and the team remains very large.

Also, one shouldn't forget to take into account that Franz has the option of either being a Paladin like Seth, or trading 2 mov for better statistics + axes by becoming Great Knight. An advantage no matter how you rate them.

Overall, I'm going to go with Seth, but it's quite close imo.

EDIT: For Orson, he's the only unit in the game that's the best for all the time you have him, which is cool to think about, but it's only one chapter...in CC he is craptastic, since he has bad "joining time" (you already have to clear a bit to get him...I consider the CC ends when you have Lyon). And his stats suck and he has no supports, so he needs more stat boosts to still be inferior.

Forde and Kyle don't quite match up, I think, though if you are going Eirika route (meaning there's no need to level up Ephraim, while there is for Eirika) and you are using many other earlygame people, they'll have a level lead when they join up with you.

Woah, Mekkah, don't overkill this topic man.

Edited by Kim Jong-il

The poll results beg to differ.

It's a popularity contest. Just because more people have voted for Seth than anyone else doesn't mean he's CLEARLY the best.

I'm not saying he's bad by any stretch of the imagination. He's the best Jeigan in the series (arguably Titania from FE9, but I give the edge to Seth for being one of the very few defensively capable units in a game where the average defense growth is 25%). He's also one of the best supports for Eirika, a unit you have to keep alive in order to beat the game.

I'm just saying there are an awful lot of variables and because of that, there can never be a clear-cut victor.

I'd say Seth is by far the best (overall, on average, in general, just so no-one rapes me :(), because not only does he start epic and promoted, but he actually have equal to or better than stats than ANY of the other options except Amelia, assuming they somehow managed to close the gap on him. In other words, even if they managed to overcome the 20 level gap, he would still be even with them or better than them.

I vote Franz. I find him having far superior stats when he catches up. Also, I have an inherent distaste for Jeigan's. What's the point of using an awesome starter unit like that if it gets maybe 2 EXP per foe killed?

Seriously. The only things I let Seth kill or even hurt are bosses. He absorbs too much EXP that everyone else desires. (Even if you can Valni abuse and get the EXP back, I don't care.)

Franz's early availability (Chapter 2 onwards) and non-promotedness earn him "Best Cavalier in Sacred Stones" Title.

Oh, good, there IS someone who doubts the great Seth!!!

Also, I have an inherent distaste for Jeigan's. What's the point of using an awesome starter unit like that if it gets maybe 2 EXP per foe killed?

The point of the game isn't gaining EXP or leveling up. It's killing enemies. EXP has no value in itself. The fact that Seth gains so little of it doesn't hurt his case at all, seeing as he remains superior until Franz hits 18/0 (while Seth gains no level-ups, mind you). If Franz joined at 18/0, would you think he's worse than if he joined at 2/0?

He absorbs too much EXP that everyone else desires.

Contrary to popular belief, Seth does not "absorb" more EXP than others. In fact, he needs less than others.

Seth kills something. Oh no, now Eirika, Lute, Arthur and Vanessa did not get that kill!

Franz kills something. Oh no, now Eirika, Lute, Arthur and Vanessa did not get that kill!

But...Franz does need to kill stuff to level up, gain stats to remain good. A 2/0 Franz in Ch12 is doing you no good. Seth, however, is fine there at base level. Is it an advantage for Franz that he needs EXP to remain good?

Yay! Debate!

Contrary to popular belief, Seth does not "absorb" more EXP than others. In fact, he needs less than others.

I suppose my comment there was based on the assumption that people abuse his uber-strength. I accept that this may not be the case. But still...that EXP could easily be used more effectively on other characters (like you said, Eirika, Artur, Lute, Vanessa). The fact that he's a prepromote means that his potential is minimised as the RNG decides to bless him. Franz, on the other hand, can quickly surpass Seth if RNG blessed. This can work both ways though, as a nerfed Franz will become useless.

I'm not saying that Seth is horrible. I just believe that Franz is better.

Yay! Debate!

I suppose my comment there was based on the assumption that people abuse his uber-strength. I accept that this may not be the case. But still...that EXP could easily be used more effectively on other characters (like you said, Eirika, Artur, Lute, Vanessa). The fact that he's a prepromote means that his potential is minimised as the RNG decides to bless him. Franz, on the other hand, can quickly surpass Seth if RNG blessed. This can work both ways though, as a nerfed Franz will become useless.

The RNG has nothing to do with it. We don't take random stat gains into consideration, but average stat gains.

Yay! Debate!

Actually, Seth's got arguably better stat gains than most of the other cavaliers. He just has less levels to gain them in, which is why it's harder for him to get as blessed (or screwed if you look at it that way) than the others.

90% HP? Win. 50% Strength? Among the best in the game. 45% skill and speed? That's usually as good as the best growths any given paladin candidate has him his/her respective game. 40% Defense? That's the third highest growth rate in the game (Gilliam at first with 55% and then Duessel, oddly enough another pre-promote, with 45%).

The only thing that's lackluster is his luck stat, and is pretty much equal to other other guys that fulfill the same role.

My only beef with Seth is that he joins a little TOO good. I like to attack enemies in the first few stages with 2 or 3 guys if possible simply to spread the experience around more so that I have multiple powerful units instead of just a few guys that are super mode.

All that said, I voted for Franz. I like his support options, he joins immediately, and has pretty solid growth rates all around.