So Miiverse is shutting down come November 8th

Just call me AL

It doesn't surprise me too much that Miiverse is shutting down, given its recent state. Trolls, hacked screenshots, supposedly users reporting genuine troublemakers only to receive warnings themselves or even be banned*, complaints to this day about the 2015 redesign**, the sudden emergence of "In-game" sections in communities that never had them that users could exploit to post screenshots from other games (seriously, wth was up with that? And why did Nintendo never try to fix it?). Hate to say all of that probably played a part in this decision. That, and I have often, and still, randomly get an error on my 3DS when changing pages or posting (thankfully the post always went through) and I have to either close Miiverse or get booted back to the top menu. I don't know if it's because my 3DS is nearly as old as Miiverse itself, or if Nintendo wasn't doing proper maintenance (not likely, as I occasionally needed to perform a system update before it let me access Miiverse again).

*If this was true, then I really have to question Nintendo's admin practices for Miiverse. I was actually hesitant to report troublemakers because of this; I just blocked them instead, but you could still tell if they posted. I wish blocking would've made them outright invisible to the user.

**The redesign didn't affect me at all, since I don't post tons upon tons of posts everyday. Now please don't take this the wrong way, but I feel like myself and so few other people used Miiverse the way it was intended. For on-the-fly help, spur-of-the-moment commentary, drawing, and small-scale discussions. Imho Miiverse was never meant to be a full-blooded forum or social service (I fully supported the redesign because I felt it was done to emphasize this). I tried to tell people not to treat it like such so they wouldn't become obsessed or dependent on it. But nope, I've seen several users on Miiverse act as though their life is over because Miiverse was the only social service they've ever used; one even considered getting rid of their Wii U. I can understand if the majority of those are kids who've only used Miiverse; but surely, surely they'd at least already know about Facebook, Twitter, and other social sites--if not any dedicated forums like our very own Forest--especially since just about every kid this generation has a smartphone.

That's why I only used Miiverse a little bit every day if I felt like it. It was a good way to start the morning before getting on with my day. After a good ~4 years (Miiverse was added to the 3DS in winter 2013. I didn't get a Wii U till later), it was fun while it lasted. But we can't dwell on the past. We must move forward to the future, to bigger and better things.

Miiverse (2012-2017), Rest in Pii-ce. *cough* sorry...

One last thing, though. in that GameXplain video, they mention that the Miiverse icon will still remain on the system menu. W-why? Why not just remove it like they did with the Nintendo TVii icon? They should at least darken it or grey it out so it's easily indicated that it will no longer function. If nothing else, at least I won't ever have to see the blue Spotpass icon over it on the 3DS ever again. It showed up even when there was no reason to, which became a personal pet peeve.

Edited by Baron the Shining Blade

3 hours ago, Baron the Shining Blade said:

If nothing else, at least I won't ever have to see the blue Spotpass icon over it on the 3DS ever again. It showed up even when there was no reason to, which became a personal pet peeve.

I'm pretty sure that Miiverse and Spotpass are two different things.

Anyway, I'm more concerned about the effect it will have on Super Mario Maker than anything else.

3 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

I'm pretty sure that Miiverse and Spotpass are two different things.

Well yes, but...I can tell you that on my 3DS I always see the Spotpass notification icon over the Miiverse icon, and I've never understood why it would do that if it doesn't use Spotpass. Unless my system is just screwy or something...

Other than having to use Miiverse for LP screenshots, I'm not going to miss it. Having to save screenshots was very cumbersome anyway, with having to re-establish internet connection every single time I enter Miiverse, and errors popping up when I select my next command too early.