Would A MC Who's Immune To Magic Be To OP?

So I've been thinking about this for a while with the game I want to make, I'm starting to realize that he'd be a bit to good

What I'm thinking of doing is just giving hime the higest RES growth, in the triliogy

story goes like this, his mother was from a long line of powerful mages, while his father was as dull as the average person (he had no magic). So our Hero has no magic, but one day when he was a child he was hit by a powerfull bolt of lightning, that should have killed him, and to everyone's shock (no pun intended) he was completely unharmed, and it was as if he haddn't been hit at all. So his adoptive mother takes him to the local grandsage who tells them his magic might just be locked away and needs a catalyst to be used, and the only person who can help him would be the archsage

so does anyone have any ideas on how this could work

Let me answer by asking another question: Is Micaiah overpowered? ;)

(more seriously: Obviously, this depends on the enemy distribution. Most official FE games have a relatively low ratio of magic enemies, so high resistance is way less valuable than high physical defense. If you keep it that way, a magic immunity would be situationally strong, as long as you create those situations in your maps. This is even more true if he's going to be able to use 1-2 ranged physical weapons, since he would be able to have very strong enemy phases against larger groups of magicians, i.e. low-Def units.)

Balance it out with low physical defense.

Though really FE lords in general seem to have a weird reputation for having higher Mdef than regular defense at times. Seliph has high Mdef through minor Naga blood and ofc the Tyrfing (though his physical defense growth is still higher). Roy has a 5% higher Mdef growth than his physical one (though he starts with 0 at base). Eliwood does too, and Lyn's is 10% higher. Eirika's are equal (a modest 30%) and so are Ike's (an even better 40%! though that's just in FE9. FE10 it plummets to 15%). 

Ok so that seems more like just half (none of the NES lords have any Mdef to speak of and the remakes give them extremely low ones, Sigurd, Leif, Hector, Ephraim and Chrom all have subpar Mdef compared to their physical def). Still, interesting to note.

Magic immunity could be balanced from a gameplay perspective as the above posters make clear. Just make sure their defense isn't too high and that if they have special weakness, enough enemies target it.

From a writing perspective, I was pondering, what if it went both ways? The MC is not only immune to attack magic, but cannot receive the effects of healing and support magic either. If they break a bone, no Heal staff to the rescue. Nor be Warp Staffed, and, hypothetically, even if they had the Major Holy Blood, get the quad +20 stat boosts out of FE4 Naga. They're both more durable and more fragile than an ordinary person. A fair dilemma.

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

From a writing perspective, I was pondering, what if it went both ways? The MC is not only immune to attack magic, but cannot receive the effects of healing and support magic either. If they break a bone, no Heal staff to the rescue. Nor be Warp Staffed, and, hypothetically, even if they had the Major Holy Blood, get the quad +20 stat boosts out of FE4 Naga. They're both more durable and more fragile than an ordinary person. A fair dilemma.

Would vulneraries count as healing magic or no? If not, I second this idea.

12 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Would vulneraries count as healing magic or no? If not, I second this idea.

I wouldn't count vulneraries as healing magic, the MC deserves to be healable in some way for gameplay sanity. Otherwise they'd be so delicate you'd never want them to be as much as scratched.