Best overall unit?

Mekkah

Which unit is, in your opinion, the most useful for the entire game? So I don't mean "zeis is a cool guy eh killed mamkutes with malte and doesnt afraid of anything since half of his stats were maxed".

I think it's either Rutger or Lance. Rutger is fast enough to double stuff nobody but Fir could dream of doubling, including Nomad Troopers, Swordmasters, Heroes, that kind of stuff, and while his Atk can be low, his Crt commonly hits the higher 40s with Iron Sword alone, then goes up more and more when switching to Killer and adding on his good supports...and he has a million Hit, in a game where missing is common (Iron Axe in FE6 is as accurate as Steel Axe in FE7 iirc). And obviously Rutger has hax HP + Avo to stay alive.

Lance doesn't have the overkill offense that Rutger has going on, but he has pretty damn high concrete durability, and his supports are much, much quicker and earlier. He's also crucial for the first few chapters before Rutger is there, which are some of the most difficult. He also has the benefit of ranged attacks and being able to frontline at all times (due to 2 more mov than the team, including Rutger). He likely won't keep up with Rutger's hit/avo even with WTA, but it does help to close the gap.

I don't think anyone else really qualifies. Alan and Dieck don't have the Spd to double as much as these two, though they do it a decent amount. Miledy only joins halfway through, and is behind the team for a bit, and has lame supports...she has flying to compensate, but that's about it. Percival joins even later and doesn't have supports either.

The only contestant of these two that I can think of is Clarine, who has awesome staff utility, but she's insanely frail until some time before promotion (where her dodge starts to become reliable), not to mention an enemy magnet, and after promotion, her offense is definitely not as good as Rutger/Lance's, especially not taking Killer/Silver into the equation, what with her being locked to Fire for a long time first.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I saw of Rutger when I played the game and soon gave up on it, he wasn't that good. He was really lacking in defense and always got killed. Not to mention he had bad dodge. Thus, I couldn't place him on the front lines.

I have to say Lance, though he and Rutger are very close. Lance has faster supports that increases his Avoid and Attack greatly, as well as having the best class and weapon control.

If I were to choose between Rutger and Lance, I would definitely choose Rutger. Lance has always been much worse than Alan for me. I once had a promoted Lance that was lower in every stat than my unpromoted Alan. :(

That being said, 30% crit boost + good hard mode bonuses = win for Rutger.

Rutger. He's cool.
Which unit is, in your opinion, the most useful for the entire game? So I don't mean "zeis is a cool guy eh killed mamkutes with malte and doesnt afraid of anything since half of his stats were maxed".

I'd prefer it if people went by averages instead of their personal experiences but whatever...

My Rutger was even slower than Lance!! He had only 22 spd as a lv 10 swordmaster!

Srsly, though, I'd go with Rutger for game-best. That offense is just too good, as are his bases. Lance has nice concrete durability indeed, but Rutger's isn't much worse. The only differences are that Lance has lances and gets his +def from supports earlier. They have the same growths, similar bases, and Rutger's promotion bonuses are better. After promotion, they're about tied despite Lance having 3 weapons and Rutger having only 1 since they have the same def, but Rutger has more hp.

Edited by Reikken

Alan and Lance are so statistically similar I find it hardly matters.

The key is their offense is based on different things.

15/0 Alan: 13.3 atk, 12.3 AS

15/0 Lance: 10.6 atk, 15.0 AS

Alan only attacks stuff with 8 AS and lower, while Lance can DA up to 11 AS, a very significant difference. However, against the things they both double, Alan has a 5.4 damage lead, and against things neither double, Alan has a 2.7 damage lead.

I'd agree with Rutger for best, though I do really value the option of 1-2 range (though not as much in this game due to extremely lame weapon accuracy).

I've always found Rutger as the best. His supports are really slow and the only real good options he has are Dieck and Clarine, but they both add tons of Crit and Avoid (and some defense lol)... His class, bases, HM bonuses, his offensive growths... Not many, if at all, in this game can really compare to him offensively.

• 2 weeks later...

It's too bad Roy's promotion is obscenely late in the game.

In any case, between Lance and Rutger, I lean slightly toward Rutger. My reasons have already been mentioned, so I won't go into the details. It's a pretty close race, though.

Roy. He's got some of the best growths in the game, he can 1-2 range with one of the strongest and most accurate weapons in the game, has the best support triangle with two very useful units, and can heal himself with the SoS. Now that's just godly!!

For all of 3 chapters plus the supershort final.

I dont like Rutger as a character at all, but he almost wins by default. He's the premier boss killer from Chapter 4 to frickin' Zephiel.

I also think that Dieck > the cavs, with Lance and then Alan coming after him.

Those are most certainly the four best units in the game though.

I also think that Dieck > the cavs, with Lance and then Alan coming after him.

Dieck has a small advantage in the early chapters, but after that they'll be pretty much equal, except that Alan and Lance have much more flexibility, as well as superior supports.

Dieck's earlygame advantage is more than small.

He's the only one who has the con to use his iron blade properly, which will make him much better than Alan/Lance from chapters 2-5.

And I think there's a steel blade coming up that only he can effectively use as well.

Alan and Lance need time for those supports to kick in. Dieck's probably one rounding the first enemy he fights. And he also two rounds the cavaliers (at least, the ones he doubles) in the coming chapters, which is something that neither Alan nor Lance will be able to do for a while.

And of course, he's got the armorslayer as well.

By the time Alan and Lance catch up Dieck's already working on his supports, and will soon be nigh invincible. The Alan/Lance/Roy support chain is probably better than his, but its the only one in the game that is. Not having lances doesn't hurt much anyway since the number of sword users in the game is very small. Having the much lower move though does hurt.

By the time Alan and Lance catch up Dieck's already working on his supports

As soon as they all have a C together they're prolly all around better than Dieck. That happens way before Dieck has C anything.

Edited by Mekkah

They get Bs before Deak gets any C, unless he's supporting Lot/Thany/Ward. Alan-Lance A is at about the same time as Deak is getting his Cs. Alan-Lance A takes 25 more turns than Deak-Clarine C, but they have ch 1, ch 2, ch 3, and part of ch 4 before Deak-Clarine even starts.