The menu UI doesn't feel Fire Emblem-like enough

nocturnal YL

Background: I've played most of the FE games, missing only FE1, FE3, BSFE, FE11 and FE Heroes, but I've never played a Warriors game before.

I'm kind of nitpicking here, but I think the UI feels… not perfect. Not that I'm dissatisfied overall; it's just that some parts feel weird. I also don't know if I'm actually looking at features of Warriors that just happen to not match FE.

The first of these issues is the save mechanism. The game never asks the player to confirm saving (except when saving from a suspend point to a main save file), and autosave takes place after the player leaves the shop or item menu, or after a battle. The weirdest part is that when you quit from a battle, all changes made are lost, including changes made in the battle preparation screen. Oh, and there's no way to save from battle preparation, either. This threw me off at first, since this means I can't easily reload a save and make small changes from my last set of battle preparations.

It's also weird that the game doesn't seem to always remember my units of choices. Did the game try to restore my character choices to when I first played the chapter? This is especially apparent when I skip to a previous chapter or go to History Mode. Again, this threw me off for just being so different from what I'd expect in a Fire Emblem-themed game.

And picking units itself takes time to get used to. Instead of picking units and then deciding their placement, I now do both at the same screen. And I have to call out a submenu using ? while ? is used for issuing commands that I don't even think they'd follow when the battle actually starts.

I cannot swap items with units who can't use it. If I want to give Frederick's Elixir to Elise, the game won't let me unless Elise unequips her staff first. This unnecessarily complicates the item preparation process, and I think a better way would be having the game prompt that Frederick can't use staves and offers to send Elise's staff to the convoy instead.

And this really is unnecessary nitpicking, but I can't get over with how the game uses the wrong sound effect for menu cursor movements in Lyn's map. Yeah, I know I should be glad that they added this nice little touch to include Famicom and GBA sound effects in the first place, but it still feels somewhat weird.

Still, for the most part, I can see a genuine effort on Omega and Ninja's side to make this game easy to pick up by FE players, so kudos to them.

Edited by nocturnal YL

You can do that in the battle preparation screen. Select マップ・配置 in the main menu (the large menu that appears in the middle of the screen with the background blurred), move the cursor to a character you want to change, press ?, then select 入れ替え to swap position or キャラクター変更 to change character.