How to overcome a new genre?

MisterIceTeaPeach

I've played lots of RPGs in different variations in the past years, but I'd like to dip in some other new genres like adventures (Zelda), fighting games or action platformers like Castlevania.

My biggest problem is that I have generally a hard time to get into these games. I lose a fight or die in the first stage, so I see the Game Over screen earlier and more often than I wished.

My videogame skills are really limited, mainly on games where I have to use my brain and don't need to press that many buttons permamently. At least I was able to beat a few Touhou shooters which require a good reaction time from me.

I'd like to get into new game series (I'm interested in) without becoming frustrated and losing the motivation fast. Any ideas how to manage it?

Edited by Byakuren Hijiri

Well I would pick one game from that series that a lot of people say is good for a starting point.  For Zelda I would recommend "a Link between Worlds" since you can do the dungeons in any order and the gameplay is pretty fun.  I don't know which Castlevania game would be the best starting point since I never played many games from that series, but there are several fans on SF who should be able to help you find the best one to start with.  Find a good starting point is the best way to learn the mechanics of the game and get in to the story.

Q: How to overcome a new genre?
A: Git gud.

No, really, that's all there is to it. If you work hard at it, you can master anything - unless your hands are cut off, anyway. The only prerequisite is that you actually like the gameplay. But the best way to enter a new genre is to play the best or most accessible game in it - sometimes they are the same, but sometimes the best is also the hardest. If you provide your current consoles and the genre you wish to try, I will give you a "three course meal" suggestion, like so -

Futuristic Racing: Fast RMX, Wipeout Omega Collection, F-Zero GX

If you have a complete gamography, it will make life even easier.

If you want to try Mega Man, get the Legacy Collection on the 3DS. The challenge will be terrible at times, but you can make Restore Points, which will make things much easier if you have to use them. I did (Yellow Devil) and the games were still fun. Mega Man X was still fun too. Do remember you have only 1 Restore Point though at any time, so don't make one at an inopportune moment, like when you're nearly dead or about to get killed. 

For Castlevania, Retrovania, which are action platformers, are much harder than Metroidvanias, which are action RPGs. Since Nintendo systems have Restore Points as said before, you can always use those to make getting through the tough parts a bit less tedious in the Retrovanias. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse and Super Castlevania IV are considered the best of the Retrovanias or so I've heard.

If you have a Wii U, you have access to Circle of the Moon, Harmony of Dissonance, and Aria of Sorrow. A 3DS can play the DS games of Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, and Order of Ecclesia. Since Dawn spoils the end of Aria (not that the stories in Castlevania are amazing by any stretch of the mind), if you have a Wii U, start with Aria. If you don't have a Wii U and don't mind being spoiled, go for Dawn, but you do mind, go for Portrait of Ruin. Harmony is the worst of the bunch to me, and Order is not for beginners. Each Metroidvania can be completed in less than 20 hours I'd say, less than 15 even once you have experience.

For Zelda, start with Ocarina of Time 3D for your introduction to 3D Zelda games. Majora's Mask is rather unfriendly to beginners, even in the friendlier 3D remake. Wind Waker and Twilight Princess have drawn out openings, and Wind Waker's sailing might turn you off from the start. Skyward is mixed too. Breath of the Wild is different from everything else.

For the 2D Zelda experience, if you're willing to shell out the money, go with A Link Between Worlds, otherwise I'd pick Oracle of Seasons. Avoid Triforce Heroes unless you have friends. Oracle of Ages is much more puzzle-based, and Link's Awakening isn't as friendly to novices, but it isn't hard, just kinda vague in what to do next. A Link to the Past is old, but still very good if you have some experience with the franchise. Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks have this unique stylus only gameplay, no pad controls, you might like them, you might not. Spirit Tracks is better than Phantom Hourglass outside of traversing the overworld, but it is a little harder. Avoid the original Legend of Zelda, it is just too antiquated unless you're really interested. Zelda II is a black sheep, a brutal one, and again a fossil. 

I don't know if you mean Castlevania as in the action platformers, or Castlevania as in the Metroidvania explorations games. If it's the latter, I would stay away for now, none of those are what I would call accessible, except maybe Symphony of the Night but that may be just my experience. You will be tasked to return to previous areas with new abilities in order to progress, and the probability of being roadblocked even if you've played games of this type before is extremely high. It's almost the point of the experience.

I would instead play a Metroid game if you want a more accessible, exploration-driven experience. Metroid Zero Mission points to where they expect you to go on your map for progression, but expects you to figure out how to get there using your abilities. Fusion, Other M, and Prime 3 all hold your hand a lot tighter with more linear level design, where exploration typically just nets you more powerups. It would be fair to say those three games are much more focused on action than exploration. And the other games in the series expect you to accomplish everything through exploration. The recent Samus Returns never prompts you to return to a previous area for anything other than powerups, and is the only game in the series with the feature to mark your map with your own symbols, as well as fast travel. Prime 1 and 2 want you to return to previous areas almost constantly, but the map is incredibly detailed in letting you know what power ups open what doors you haven't yet been through. Altogether my recommendations are Zero Mission and Samus Returns (which happen to be remakes of the first two games) before cutting your teeth on Super Metroid or the first two Prime games. I personally started with Super and Prime, gave up on both out of frustration, then came back after beating easier Metroid games. And I know a lot of fellow Metroid fans had similar experiences.

I can't really recommend a more accessible, Zelda-like game because Zelda games are the most accessible games of that genre I could point to. My only recommendation there is to hold off on Majora's Mask. Yes, fans will tell you it's an incredibly unique Zelda game that they love, but it was also designed assuming you had played through the previous game, Ocarina of Time, which everybody did, back at that time it was released. Maybe the remake is better at teaching you basic controls and interacting with the environment, but I wouldn't know.

Not gonna recommend "git gud", though being persistent and just constantly trying to play these games might be just what you need to do in order to get into a genre.  I've played games all my life so everything comes naturally to me, but there still was a time when I was just like you.  Everything takes practice.  I'd say start with the easiest of games/genres and then work your way up.

Lots of adventure games are incredibly involved, and the further back in time you go, the more difficult they're going to be (generally speaking).  I'd stay away from most SNES or NES games for that very reason, and DOS adventure games are also a no-go.  Zelda on the SNES is an exception, imo; the combat is simple, the game generally points you to where you need to go, and the puzzles, from my recollection, aren't too crazy and cryptic.  A Link Between Worlds is very similar to that one, which is probably why people are recommending it; it certainly isn't a bad starting point either.  OoT is also straight-forward enough that you could start with it, though it, like many Zelda games, has a frustrating and tedious Water Temple.

In terms of fighting games, I think Soul Caliber might be one of the easier 3D Fighting games to get into.  Specifically the second or third one; the latter even has a RTS mode in it, though that in particular has some pretty nasty AI power creeps in random intervals.  I'm unsure of what 2D fighters to recommend, but Street Fighter is obviously a popular one.  Fighting games are generally better with friends, though don't play them with people who are good at them until you get the hang of it.  It's better if you can get a roughly even amount of wins and losses against someone than for it to be one-sided.  If none of your friends want to play, then that's fine; lots of fighting games give you the option to play against easy AI opponents.

And for action games, I honestly just think it'd be better to get into some simpler platformers first.  Mario is the safest bet there.  The first Super Mario Bros for NES, Super Mario World for SNES (or its sequel, Yoshi's Island), Super Mario 64...  They're all really good, and fairly easy to get into.  I think the first SMB might be the most difficult, though they all can get difficult towards the end.  Regardless, I just don't think starting with Castlevania (anywhere at all in that series) is particularly a good idea.  The older games have some rigid physics (mainly referring to the bounce-back whenever you're hit by an enemy) and are extremely involved, while the newer ones throw complex mazes at you.  To that extent, I'd also warn you against Metroid games, as they suffer from the same issue as the newer Castlevania games do.  Metroid Prime and Metroid Fusions are the easiest of that series to get into, but their boss fights might still be quite intense for you.

Of these listed, I think Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island is the easiest game in general, with A Link Between Worlds/A Link to the Past (the SNES Zelda) being close seconds.  These ones were also games I started my gaming hobby with.

Series typically have spin offs in other genres. That's a good enough motivation to try another genre. I love Senran Kagura, it's a fun hack and slash series. Their latest spin off is a 3rd person shooter with water guns. This game will be good way for me to get used to 3rd person shooters since I rarely play them.

11 hours ago, Zera said:

Q: How to overcome a new genre?
A: Git gud.

No, really, that's all there is to it. If you work hard at it, you can master anything - unless your hands are cut off, anyway. The only prerequisite is that you actually like the gameplay. But the best way to enter a new genre is to play the best or most accessible game in it - sometimes they are the same, but sometimes the best is also the hardest. If you provide your current consoles and the genre you wish to try, I will give you a "three course meal" suggestion, like so -

Futuristic Racing: Fast RMX, Wipeout Omega Collection, F-Zero GX

If you have a complete gamography, it will make life even easier.

Actually I tried F-Zero GX for a little bit, but I failed in the mission Save Jody. One of the hardest racing games in existence. 

11 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

For Zelda, start with Ocarina of Time 3D for your introduction to 3D Zelda games. Majora's Mask is rather unfriendly to beginners, even in the friendlier 3D remake. Wind Waker and Twilight Princess have drawn out openings, and Wind Waker's sailing might turn you off from the start. Skyward is mixed too. Breath of the Wild is different from everything else.

For the 2D Zelda experience, if you're willing to shell out the money, go with A Link Between Worlds, otherwise I'd pick Oracle of Seasons. Avoid Triforce Heroes unless you have friends. Oracle of Ages is much more puzzle-based, and Link's Awakening isn't as friendly to novices, but it isn't hard, just kinda vague in what to do next. A Link to the Past is old, but still very good if you have some experience with the franchise. Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks have this unique stylus only gameplay, no pad controls, you might like them, you might not. Spirit Tracks is better than Phantom Hourglass outside of traversing the overworld, but it is a little harder. Avoid the original Legend of Zelda, it is just too antiquated unless you're really interested. Zelda II is a black sheep, a brutal one, and again a fossil. 

I forgot to mention that I actually completed a Zelda game, A Link Between Worlds. This game was pretty fun and a good introduction in the Zelda series for me. Small overworld and good guide so I could develop almost everything on my own.
I played Skyward Sword before which I quitted after like 2h which the Wii mote controls were rubbish. Couldn't use the sword properly. After ALBW I tried to play Ocarina Of Time for the 3DSbecause many people say it was the best game for the N64. I don't enjoy it so far because it leaves the player alone. I don't know where to go without watching GameFAQs.

6 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Not gonna recommend "git gud", though being persistent and just constantly trying to play these games might be just what you need to do in order to get into a genre.  I've played games all my life so everything comes naturally to me, but there still was a time when I was just like you.  Everything takes practice.  I'd say start with the easiest of games/genres and then work your way up.

Lots of adventure games are incredibly involved, and the further back in time you go, the more difficult they're going to be (generally speaking).  I'd stay away from most SNES or NES games for that very reason, and DOS adventure games are also a no-go.  Zelda on the SNES is an exception, imo; the combat is simple, the game generally points you to where you need to go, and the puzzles, from my recollection, aren't too crazy and cryptic.  A Link Between Worlds is very similar to that one, which is probably why people are recommending it; it certainly isn't a bad starting point either.  OoT is also straight-forward enough that you could start with it, though it, like many Zelda games, has a frustrating and tedious Water Temple.

In terms of fighting games, I think Soul Caliber might be one of the easier 3D Fighting games to get into.  Specifically the second or third one; the latter even has a RTS mode in it, though that in particular has some pretty nasty AI power creeps in random intervals.  I'm unsure of what 2D fighters to recommend, but Street Fighter is obviously a popular one.  Fighting games are generally better with friends, though don't play them with people who are good at them until you get the hang of it.  It's better if you can get a roughly even amount of wins and losses against someone than for it to be one-sided.  If none of your friends want to play, then that's fine; lots of fighting games give you the option to play against easy AI opponents.

And for action games, I honestly just think it'd be better to get into some simpler platformers first.  Mario is the safest bet there.  The first Super Mario Bros for NES, Super Mario World for SNES (or its sequel, Yoshi's Island), Super Mario 64...  They're all really good, and fairly easy to get into.  I think the first SMB might be the most difficult, though they all can get difficult towards the end.  Regardless, I just don't think starting with Castlevania (anywhere at all in that series) is particularly a good idea.  The older games have some rigid physics (mainly referring to the bounce-back whenever you're hit by an enemy) and are extremely involved, while the newer ones throw complex mazes at you.  To that extent, I'd also warn you against Metroid games, as they suffer from the same issue as the newer Castlevania games do.  Metroid Prime and Metroid Fusions are the easiest of that series to get into, but their boss fights might still be quite intense for you.

Of these listed, I think Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island is the easiest game in general, with A Link Between Worlds/A Link to the Past (the SNES Zelda) being close seconds.  These ones were also games I started my gaming hobby with.

I've beaten all the Mario retro platformers till 64, same goes for the DK platformers for the SNES. My skills still would be good enough to beat them, but nowadays I'd prefer to get into platformers with an actual deep story. Castlevania caught my interest. Playing Symphony of the Night currenty.

10 hours ago, Byakuren Hijiri said:

After ALBW I tried to play Ocarina Of Time for the 3DSbecause many people say it was the best game for the N64. I don't enjoy it so far because it leaves the player alone. I don't know where to go without watching GameFAQs.

Or you can pay attention to the game's dialogue, that often will point you in the right direction. Saria's Song and Navi can help guide you too.

And if you don't like motion controls, but you have an interest in Twilight Princess, get the GC or HD Wii U version, not the Wii one.

How are you playing Symphony of the Night (the original Metroidvania) by the way? If it is on a PS3 or PS4, then try Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir (not the original non-Leifthrasir version) if you haven't already. It's an action game with RPG elements, on Easy it's a joke, Normal is quite survivable, but it can get hectic during certain bosses, and Hard can be a fair challenge (you can adjust the difficulty at any time though, and beating the game once unlocks a "1-Hit You're Dead and Enemies are Very Aggressive" mode). The game is repetitive if you play all the stories back to back, but if you take a break of a few days or a week between each story, it won't feel so bad. The PCs of the game are in my sig. The story is very good, the characters I like, the game looks great and the music is serviceable.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And if you don't like motion controls, but you have an interest in Twilight Princess, get the GC or HD Wii U version, not the Wii one.

The motion controls in the Wii version of TP are pretty un-intrusive - it's mostly waggle replacing button mashing. However, aiming with the IR pointer is easier than using a control stick OR motion controls (Skyward Sword says "Oops!"), and this version supports widescreen. The Wii U version is your best bet, but the improvements seem very small compared to the price difference (Wii version is $4 on Amazon right now).