Mary Poppins Returns

Reality

I wanted to make a thread about the upcoming musical. 

I really like the recreation of the kite chapter that we've seen from the trailers. However, I kind of feel like the film would benefit from taking bits and pieces from multiple books, as the first film did, instead of relying heavily on Mary Poppins Comes Back (as checking the cast list seems to indicate).

Although Mary Poppin's cultural impact is mostly through the classic 1964 film, I do feel like it would be nice to see some explorations of some things in the novels. In particular, I kind of like the mythological elements in the books, which can be very surpriing for someone only familiar with the Disney version, as the strange charthers, and even Mary Poppin's herself, although chielfy a source of wonder for the children, are also hinted to be dangerous. 

A good impression of the greater mythology of Mary Poppin's comes from chapters like " The Evening Out, High Tide, Nellie-Rubina, Mrs. Corrie, Christmas Shopping, and Full Moon" . While I think the first film did a good job of showing that Marry Poppin's opened up a world of imagination for the children and had a lot of magical aspects, it does not really approach the level seen in the books. This is a place where The Peleides (the constelation/star) can come down in human form, . And what is especially interesting about the mythology of the books is how it has no dependence on "usual" mythology. Noah's ark being involved with creating the first snow of winter is a good example. Mary Poppin's herself is a figure of intense mystery, as even great figures like the Sun and the Hamdryad pay a matter of honor to her, but keeping sure that we know that Mary Poppins herself is real and human and slightly below their place in the cosmos. "An Evening Out" probbably has the most developed statement by Travers with its handling of the Moo, and seeing what the children can and can't believe. 

I hae high hopes for Mary Poppin's charatization, as her self confidence (in the mirror) during the trailer is more in line with how she acts in the novels Mary Poppin's vanity and assuredness is delightful, but the children (or adults) also sow occsaional discomfirt with it, and in particular, The children are actually able to be active charathers in some chapters (Bad Tuesday /Bad Wednesday) instead of simply following Poppins through the story This I feel, could benefit the novel compared to the first one. 

I understand that some of the best chapters probbably aren't suitable for film (The New One and John and Barbara's story come to mind) 

My main reservation about the upcoming musical is probbably just that topsy turvy is listed in the cast, which feels a bit redundant considering the first movie already has the first book's laughing gas chamber (Uncle Albert/Mr Wigg). The second book's episode does have a differnt dynamic, but as nice as having another 1964 Mary Poppins would be, I would prefer the movie to explore things that the first movie didn't. 

Anyway, I'm interested to hear in what people think about this movie. Maybe my prediction that it will largely focus on Mary Poppin's Comes Back will be wrong.

• 2 months later...