Druids Vs. Summoners

I've been trying to convince a friend that druids are a better promotion choice than Summoners. I'm out of ammo, so I'm asking here.

I've used the following arguments:

-Druids have superior caps in all but one area

-Phantoms are damn near useless, at this point in the game you should have units capable of taking hits, and you don't need a lure.

-Why waste Ewan's potential awesomeness with anything OTHER than a sage/druid?

Due to how FE8 works... I doubt any options is really 'better'... more 'better suited for you'.

I generally make one of my pair of Myrmidons into an Assassin. But why, Swordmaster is superior. However it aids in Dark/Fog chapters. I generally make my Ross into a Berserker, my friends tell me I'm stupid and Berserker is a terrible class, but I like 'em. You like Shamans, for those reasons. I like Summoners for the ability to control the opponent's movements via a simple trap.

If you used the listed arguements and got nowhere, I doubt repeatedly beating your head into a wall will help by arguin' more.

neh, I pick neither. I never bother even consider promoting either of them.

Knoll barely gains any Luck of Def. I wouldn't even want to bother consider using him instead I rather don't use him at all.

Ewan would make either a great Druid or a Summoner but I never bother promoting him to either of them. I'd say hes way better off as a 3rd tier Super Trainee. Even as a Super Trainee, hes able to use 2 more additional tomes such as Light and Dark tomes which is very unique.

Phantoms are useless.

Phantoms are only good at luring enemy units. To be honest, I actually find them very useful. On the Tenth Floor of the Lagdou Ruins. I had to use Lyon's Phantoms to lure those 10 Draco Zombies one at a time. It took me a long time since most my units were using Iron weapons but was really easy afterwards. I know there are also another alternative path of beating the Ruins but thats pretty much the only one I could think of so far. So if it hadn't been for the Phantoms I would just keep losing. <_<

Phantoms are only good at luring enemy units. To be honest, I actually find them very useful. On the Tenth Floor of the Lagdou Ruins. I had to use Lyon's Phantoms to lure those 10 Draco Zombies one at a time. It took me a long time since most my units were using Iron weapons but was really easy afterwards. I know there are also another alternative path of beating the Ruins but thats pretty much the only one I could think of so far. So if it hadn't been for the Phantoms I would just keep losing. <_<

No offense, but I found the ruins simple enough without phantoms. The zombies don't move unless they can attack you, so it's just a matter of taking them down one by one.

No offense, but I found the ruins simple enough without phantoms. The zombies don't move unless they can attack you, so it's just a matter of taking them down one by one.

I never said that the ruins were hard. There pretty easy. But yes, luring the phantoms and using them as a human sacrifice is pretty smart though. Plus it saves you the opportunity of wasting money to buy Purge/Aura for your Bishop's to slay them with their Slayer skills.

I've never been particularly fussed on Summoners. Where Elder magic is concerned, Druids are the best and the original users. Except Knoll, who is a generally failing unit unless stat boosted to perfection.

dont forget that summoners get 10(?) exp when he summons a phantom. Easy way to boost exp if needed on a seize throne (probably not since this is sacred stones)

but i agree that Ewan is a lot better as a Sage, but the only problem is that I like having to use every weapon level, but Knoll SUCKS!

Actually, I think they can do more than just flying, they can climb through mountains and seas as well.

Flying units can climb, or should I say float, over mountains and seas too.

• 2 weeks later...
I never said that the ruins were hard. There pretty easy. But yes, luring the phantoms and using them as a human sacrifice is pretty smart though. Plus it saves you the opportunity of wasting money to buy Purge/Aura for your Bishop's to slay them with their Slayer skills.

I solo'd the ruins with a 100% Gilliam. He died on level 9. [/offtopic]

Summoners aren't fugly, so I pick them.

I made Knoll a Summoner just because I wanted to see what they're like.

I don't entirely regret it, though. The phantoms can be pretty handy at times (like in the gorgon stage they killed lots of eggs for me). Plus, the summoners themselves have sweet animations.

This is FE8 so it doesn't matter which is better. If I am forced to choose, then probably a druid since they can use nature which would be useful if by some freak chance I actually did Link Arena.

I have soloed this game with Lute on hard mode... it's not very hard.

I like summoners because i dont need anymore anima magic users. I always have Lute for that, but I really would like to have ewan as a sage sometime again...