Dragoncat

Nasty weather  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What's the worst?

• Blizzards
    • Strong wind
    • Downpouring rain
    • Other/can't decide

I know in other parts of the world they are called Surge Storms but I think over here it's not destructive enough to earn the name but we can still call them pretty intense Thunderstorms.

Nothing sucks more than having your power go out. And where we live at, if our hood goes lights out and it's night out you better believe most of us are lighting fires and bringing out the guns. (Cause criminals love the dark and they are always looking to take advantage of natural disasters. One year our neighbor had their truck stolen. We know they just paid it off too so I would have turned green if I was the hulk and I was them. Not doing about it). It gets pitch black where we live. I mean we aren't that close to the city and we are surrounded by alot of trees. 

On 5/30/2018 at 6:26 AM, Hylian Air Force said:

I have to contend with strong wind a lot all year because I live in the South, but blizzards/snow in general are devastating to the South because no one knows how to deal with it. The most consistently bad driving I know is Southerners in the snow, hands down.

I always try to stifle my laughter when I see in news stuff like "GEORGIA IN A STATE OF EMERGENCY AFTER 2 INCHES OF SNOW" in news headlines.

I deal with feet of snow every year, and I had to work through the middle of a huge blizzard this year.

But I have to remind myself:

1.) Emergency routines don't really exist for snowy conditions in the south, and there aren't nearly as many ways to clear snow off the roads.

2.) Vehicles and tires in Minnesota(And other places where it snows often) are specifically designed to deal with snow, while ones in places where snow isn't expected aren't

3.) Everyone who lives where it snows regularly *knows*(Using this loosely. Every year there are tons of accidents and traffic during the first snowfall because people never remember how to drive in snow until they're driven in it again for a few hours) how to drive in snowy weather, while people elsewhere probably don't. It's like your car is constantly hydroplaning, and God knows people don't know how to deal with that shit happening out of nowhere

So yeah. To back up what I said earlier about how I find tornadoes and strong winds so much scarier, the cold and snow is more of a minor annoyance that I've dealt with my whole life. I was born in a blizzard, I just worked in a blizzard. It ended up being more of a bonding experience as my coworkers and I all pissed and groaned about getting home for 8 hours, wondering why some departments got to go home early while we had to stay and work. Places that don't deal with snow will probably have a much different outlook.

Edited by Slumber

Yeah. Different outlook. I live in Texas and the one time it hit I think the 30s (earlier this year near January) you should have seen everyone scrambling for their lives. Pipes froze, roads shut down, all kinds of businesses closed for 2 or 3 days, and basically end of the world.  I myself handled it nicely cuz on my days off I normally stay in and play games so the weather didn't interrupt my plans in the slightest

Having had my first winter after moving from a tropical country to northern Indiana, all I can say is 

fuck snow.

It's so easy for me to deal with heat, but I can't stand the winter. 

I've wanted to travel in the past before but i think i only want to visit places when they are scheduled for nice weather for the week. I don't want go somewhere and spend it locked down because of whatever extreme weather conditions they have. @Czarpy what made you dislike the snow so much? it's never snowed bad here in Texas and from what little it did it was more of a hassle to walk since the concrete was slippery here and there.

35 minutes ago, Tediz64 said:

I've wanted to travel in the past before but i think i only want to visit places when they are scheduled for nice weather for the week. I don't want go somewhere and spend it locked down because of whatever extreme weather conditions they have. @Czarpy what made you dislike the snow so much? it's never snowed bad here in Texas and from what little it did it was more of a hassle to walk since the concrete was slippery here and there.

I've got some inner ear issues which makes balancing on snow and ice kind of a real bitch (even with proper boots). Additionally, I'm living with my folks and am the only one who can do things like use the snow blower or do anything with heavy lifting. 

The sole reason I like winter is that it means more free days and shit. That and it's really amusing to write your own name in the snow.

4 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

I saw this thing awhile back involving Southerners and snow:

Image result for southern snow advice grandma

can confirm. As a southerner, if there is even a quarter of an inch of snow there will be about 15 pileups on a single road, all the schools will be closed, and as well as a milk and bread shortage. 

_____

I really don't like the cold so blizzards and any kind of cold weather are the worst imo