Three Houses theorycrafting thread

If you have theories you'd like to share, do so here! They can be character-related, plot-related, or gameplay-related!

I'll quote a good theory I saw on Reddit.

My current theory is that the "Crests" that Edelgard talks about are actually weapons, similar to the 12 holy weapons in Geneology.

Edelgard says "Some believe the crests, tokens of the goddesses' power, are necessary to maintain order". This tells us what the crests are; objects which old great power, which is enough for some people to believe them to be necessary for society to function.

The two definitions of crest I believe for the best are "a comb or tuft of feathers, fur, or skin on the head of a bird or other animal" or "a distinctive device borne above the shield of a coat of arms, or separately reproduced, for example on writing paper or silverware, to represent a family or corporate body."

The 1st definition fits the best I feel, which would imply the crests are some remnant of an animal. Going off the painting shown at the beginning of the trailer, you can see this goddess above a large white dragon. I've seen the theory that the goddess is actually the dragon, just in a different form. If that's true, then the Crests could be something like scales from her dragon form. That would fit Edelgards explanation to a degree, as they are objects most likely filled with the goddess' power. However, I don't see what a bunch of random scales could do to keep society in order.

This brings me to my theory. In past games, it's revealed that the Falchion's are made from the fangs of Naga. Meaning these powerful weapons are made directly from Naga's body. My theory, using the 1st definition of crest and Edelgard's explanation, is that the Crests in the game's are weapons forged from the scales of the goddess from her dragon form, similar to what Naga did. This way, the crests can hold the goddess' power, while definitely having a way to maintain order, as they'd be used in combat to perhaps protect a kingdom from being invaded and chaos ensuing.

This could fit well with the sword we see in the trailer being held by that one woman and used by the one bearded man. That could be a Crest of a particular kingdom, and the reason it's causing so much destruction in the bearded man's scene is because it has a portion of the goddess' power.

TL;DR: I think the crests are weapons made from the goddess' dragon form, and that the one weapon used in the trailer could be a Crest.

Sorry if that was really long.

I buy this because that whip-sword we saw used by the evil emperor guy looks sort of like it was made out of spinal bones.

57 minutes ago, Corrobin said:

If you have theories you'd like to share, do so here! They can be character-related, plot-related, or gameplay-related!

Well, I already made a topic thread about my theory that I've crafted, so I'll just quote it and leave it below. The theory is that the Kingdom of Fergus will be a Scots-Inspired Kingdom. 

This is a theory I came up after noticing a few things (and after other things were pointed out to me). Here's my evidence: (and sorry that I can't provide pictures; I'll try to give the times at which each thing appears in the trailer)

1. right away, the name Fergus is an anglicization of the Scottish Gaelic Fearghas, which means man of vigour. Now, Fire Emblem has used plenty of names from many different parts of the world before. So, what makes this any different? That leads me to my next pieces of evidence.

2. The swordsman about to attack the Emmeryn-Impersonator in the trailer, the one in the spiked armour, is wearing a red-and-white tartan cape. Now, a tartan cape isn't much, but it is distinct, and it is the first case (if I'm not mistaken; someone correct me if I'm wrong) of a character wearing anything tartan in an FE game, and this isn't the only case in the trailer of tartan: the charging axe warriors at around 0:54 into the trailer are each wearing a blue tartan outfit that looks suspiciously similar to a kilt.

So, why do I think this is Fergus, and not one of the other kingdoms? Well, in addition to the Scottish name, the kingdom of Fergus sits the furthest north on the map of the continent in the trailer. Typically in FE, the northernmost nations are also the coldest, and most likely to have chapters where the characters fight in ice and snow. Daein in Path of Radiance, Regna Ferox in Awakening, and the Rigelian Empire in SoV are all great examples of this. Why is this important? That swordsman with the red tartan cape, and the axe-wielding warriors in the blue tartan kilts, are also wearing fur. In FE; most notably in Echoes, fur indicates that the character hails from that cold, northern region where the heroes inevitably fight there in the winter, and these guys are the ones wearing furs. Everyone else is wearing (likely linen) cloth. 

Edited by vanguard333

Leicester and Gloucester are straight up locations in England even now. Fódlan is derived from an Irish goddess' name. One of the other areas in the northern part of Fergus was "Clayman" (or similar, it could be closer to "Claymor") from what I can see, which could also be a reference to Claymore, a traditional Scottish two-handed sword. Gwydion also appears to be a location and is a name associated with a trickster from Welsh mythology. There's others though: Rusalka, another map location, is Russian for a female spirit in Slavic mythology. There's also names derived from German, French and probably a lot more, so it seems like a general mash of European etymology.

Edited by Tryhard

35 minutes ago, ElectiveToast said:

I thought Fergus was the Russian kingdom due to the lord’s name. I’m starting to suspect this game will be mixed European cultures for all of the kingdoms. 

12 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

Leicester and Gloucester are straight up locations in England even now. Fódlan is derived from an Irish goddess' name. One of the other areas in the northern part of Fergus was "Clayman" (or similar, it could be closer to "Claymor") from what I can see, which could also be a reference to Claymore, a traditional Scottish two-handed sword. Gwydion also appears to be a location and is a name associated with a trickster from Welsh mythology. There's others though: Rusalka, another map location, is Russian for a female spirit in Slavic mythology. There's also names derived from German, French and probably a lot more, so it seems like a general mash of European etymology.

When it comes to FE, it usually is a general mash of European etymology. My theory was simply that, for the Kingdom of Fergus, the amount of Scottish inspiration will be more than just in etymology. To clarify: I don't think Fergus will be completely based on Scotland; I simply think it will have distinctly-Scottish influences that won't be in the other two regions. 

I pointed out that only one particular group in the trailers was going so far as to wear tartan, right down to the axe-wielders in the group wearing blue tartan kilts. SInce they are also the only group apart from the guy with the whip-sword to be wearing fur, and given that Fergus is the northernmost kingdom and thus the coldest given previous FE games treating the northernmost region as the coldest, I then theorized that Fergus is likely the kingdom that those tartan-wearing guys hail from. 

By the way, Tryhard, nice job noticing all that stuff with the names. Sincerely. 

As someone from Scotland, I think you're pretty much much correct. Tartan kilts are a pretty big giveaway. That, or perhaps a combined Gaelic kingdom since Irish and Welsh influences may also be present. The northern point may be 'Claymor' but it's hard to make out with the font - otherwise I can't see any immediately obvious Scottish names, but I still think it's likely to be the case.

Well, I don't mind some cultural appropriation once in a while.

Edited by Tryhard

Kind of sad to see that they're sticking to European influences for this game. I really enjoyed the Japanese angle Birthright brought with it. Doesn't make me any less excited though, especially with all the details that have been noticed so far. p:

Another theory: rapiers are back; this time as a weapon any sword-wielder can use. My evidence: at least two of the knights/soldiers in the trailer (18th screenshot in the images and videos section of the main site's Fire Emblem Three Houses page) are using rapiers.