Make Your Smash Ultimate Tier List

MisterIceTeaPeach

So Smash Ultimate is in an interesting spot because all the returning characters see strict improvements thanks to numerous changes to the engine. And deciding their new placements is more a matter of "are they improved to a degree that's higher or lower than average?". I'm not about to work out a full tier list, but I do have some preliminary opinions on this line of thinking:

Lower than average improvements

• Jigglypuff. No changes to Jigglypuff are especially game changing. She exhibits a few new, but questionably viable rest combos but still has all her weaknesses. She can't safely approach swordies, her recovery is still exploitable, the burden of approach is always on her, and she's not hitting hard enough to be considered a "glass cannon".
  • Ganondorf. Still slow as molasses. You can't really improve much on this character design without giving him new moves and the new smash attacks aren't notable. He has better frame advantage after a successful Side B, which leads to more guaranteed followups. But his combo potential isn't aided much by the new engine, you can camp him out with projectiles due to his large frame and poor speed, and his recovery is bottom tier. His damage and KO power is insane, but I don't expect him to hold up at high level play.
  • Bayonetta. Kind of goes without saying but Bayonetta's been severely defanged on her most notable tools. Plus she doesn't gain very much in the way of engine changes now that other characters have been brought up so much closer to her level. About the only engine change that helps her is the less safe grabs, which is great for her since grabs beat her witch time and she doesn't see much use in performing grabs herself.

As for higher than average improvements, I'm still mulling over the implications of certain characters. Wario, Sonic, and Fox don't seem as bad as they looked. Simon, Inkling, and Pikachu have more pronounced weaknesses than initially thought. A lot of characters that seemed theoretically great have surprisingly tame options and statistics. This base roster is solid.