Official Camilla Discussion Thread

Xenovia

Camilla.  Camilla.  CAMILLAAAAAAAAAA. 

Since the Fire Emblem Heroes fandom spends 90% of their time online arguing about Camilla, the quality of her 'support conversations', her boobs, etc., I've decided to start a thread where we can exclusively discuss her character.  Feel free to post fanart as well.

3 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Why is this necessary? People are just going to argue wherever it's brought up regardless of if there's a thread.

Because she gets brought up constantly, and instead of turning every thread into a bitchfest about her, everyone could just post here.  

2 minutes ago, Xenovia said:

Because she gets brought up constantly, and instead of turning every thread into a bitchfest about her, everyone could just post here.  

1. What makes you think everyone would actually move their bitching into this thread?
  2. What is the benefit of having a place where "if you don't have anything nice to say, go say it over there" over "if you don't have anything nice to say, just keep your mouth shut"?

6 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:
  1. What makes you think everyone would actually move their bitching into this thread?
  2. What is the benefit of having a place where "if you don't have anything nice to say, go say it over there" over "if you don't have anything nice to say, just keep your mouth shut"?

It doesn't seem like you're a fan of my idea. 

Yes, you're right, having every thread on the Heroes board devolve into a discussion about Camilla is much better.

18 minutes ago, Xenovia said:

I recall eclipse saying that she would rather just suspend everyone complaining than make a thread dedicated to complaining.

besides the complaining really died down since midterms ended and now that we have the results for CYL 3 you only have like 2 people who even care to say anything and even they aren't hard about it.

6 minutes ago, Xenovia said:

It doesn't seem like you're a fan of my idea. 

Yes, you're right, having every thread on the Heroes board devolve into a discussion about Camilla is much better.

I don't like the idea of all those threads getting derailed, either.

But the least you could do is answer the man's questions so that you don't sound like a jerk.

Having positive threads are nice from time to time. It can also be enlightening to find reasons why some people like certain things the vocal majority/minority are constantly against.

Well, I love her New Years alt. New Year’s Camilla is in (or at least was for the longest time) in a unique position as a def-tanky sword flier with respectable attack while also having decent speed as a bonus (she was functionally a bit like a red Beruka with more speed but less merge potential). I have her and my Beruka supported and she was one of the units in my first reliable flier team. Since then I’ve gotten flying dancers, dragons, mages, and an archer competing for her spot; and other units have since filled her niche. I feel she’s still a great unit regardless.

Edited by Arcphoenix

2 minutes ago, Arcphoenix said:

Having positive threads are nice from time to time. It can also be enlightening to find reasons why some people like certain things the vocal majority/minority are constantly against.

Well, I love her New Years alt. New Year’s Camilla is in (or at least was for the longest time) in a unique position as a def-tanky sword flier with respectable attack while also having decent speed as a bonus. I have her and my Beruka supported and she was one of the units in my first reliable flier team. Since then I’ve gotten flying dancers and dragons, and other units have since filled her niche. I feel she’s still a great unit regardless.

I agree, she's one of my best units.  Her 33/35 offense spread is very nice, and as you said she's bulky as well.  I have her running Swift Sparrow & Firesweep Sword, which works very well.  I have 5000 HM for NY 'Milla lol

My BEST unit, however, is my +10 Camilla.  I run her with Swift Sparrow/Galeforce/Desperation/Heavy Blade SS, and she's super useful in Aether Raids and Chain Challenge.

I once was grinded to dust by someone who had made a team of all the (then) available Camillas on AR. I was surprised to see how effective they were as a team. As for which Camilla's best, I think Adrift Camilla may be the one I like the most for 2 reasons: first, she's the most modestly-dressed of all the Camillas, which I find much classier than flashing everyone all the time. And second, she has a cool, glowing dream wyvern thing. Camilla's color scheme has always been good, though.

i used to like camilla but then i took an arrow to the knee but the longer shes sat, the more i dont like her. like on a scale my initial thoughts about her were a 7/10 as a character, now though its a solid 1-2/10 as a character and edging dangerously close to tharjra and yen'fey levels (0-1 all for different reasons). as a unit though, shes decent enough but i find that she tends to be one of the first units that goes down when im facing off against her in heroes and shes very emblematic of the balancing buggery in feh most of the times (when it comes to her alts)

Why does Camilla get her own thread?  Can I make a thread about Oliver?  

Also this should go in general Fire emblem or Fates, not in Heroes.  

Edited by Lewyn

1 minute ago, Lewyn said:

Also this should go in general Fire emblem, not in Heroes.  

The OP created this thread partly to act as an outlet for Fire Emblem Heroes players specifically who want to complain about Camilla.

But I think your idea sounds better, to be honest.

57 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

Also this should go in general Fire emblem or Fates, not in Heroes.  

She's the queen of Fire Emblem Heroes.  That's why.  

1 hour ago, Mercakete said:

I once was grinded to dust by someone who had made a team of all the (then) available Camillas on AR. I was surprised to see how effective they were as a team. As for which Camilla's best, I think Adrift Camilla may be the one I like the most for 2 reasons: first, she's the most modestly-dressed of all the Camillas, which I find much classier than flashing everyone all the time. And second, she has a cool, glowing dream wyvern thing. Camilla's color scheme has always been good, though.

Adrift Camilla is a great unit.  With her weapon equipped she gets up to 54 base attack, and with Hone Fliers, a Slot A skill, Brazen seal, and activating her weapon debuff skill she can hit for a ton of damage.  She's my anti-Surtr unit in Aether Raids.

As I've watched more anime, I'm realizing the influences on developing Camilla's character.  She's definitely an anime character, and would fit right in a harem/slice-of-life anime.  There;s a big theme in anime of stepbrother/stepsister becoming romantically involved.  Testament of Sister New-Devil first coming to mind.  Also, in most of those types of anime, the girls either have huge boobs (like Xenovia or Lucoa) or are totally flat (like Megumin or Kanna).  So, Camilla's features, while out of place in a Fire Emblem game, is right at home in most modern animes.

Edited by Xenovia

8 minutes ago, Xenovia said:

As I've watched more anime, I'm realizing the influences on developing Camilla's character.  She's definitely an anime character, and would fit right in a harem/slice-of-life anime.  There;s a big theme in anime of stepbrother/stepsister becoming romantically involved.  Testament of Sister New-Devil first coming to mind.  Also, in most of those types of anime, the girls either have huge boobs (like Xenovia or Lucoa) or are totally flat (like Megumin or Kanna).  So, Camilla's features, while out of place in a Fire Emblem game, is right at home in most modern animes.

which I personally find to be a problem with modern anime in it of itself. Too much focus on degenerate otaku pandering and not enough focus on writing actually good stories. as the legend, miyazaki, once said himself "the reason anime suffers is because of too many otaku in the industry" 

Anyway this leads me into my problems with Camilla. She's a decent character but is held back because of how much the devs want to use her to pander to the lowest common denominator. Like shit she has probably one of the most interesting and unique backstories in the game and it's barely touched upon if at all in her supports but no time to actually flesh out and develop an interesting character let's just shove tits in their face. They'll certainly love that and not be totally annoyed and put off by it. It's a shame cause if they had fleshed her out a bit more she could've easily been one of if not the best written character in all of fates but oh well what can ya do.

Edited by Ottservia

1 minute ago, Ottservia said:

Like shit she has probably one of the most interesting and unique backstories in the game and it's barely touched upon if at all in her supports but no time to actually flesh out and develop an interesting character let's just shove tits in their face. They'll certainly love that and not be totally annoyed and put off by it.

I'm pretty sure that worked on a lot of people.

38 minutes ago, Zihark11 said:

I'm sad this community chose Camilla when there are so many better characters more deserving then some fan service with no personality or identity. 

In all of Fates, where I see most characters playing tropes very straight, I consider Camilla to be the deepest by far. Her personality gets darker and more violent the deeper you go, but in no way can you say that her threatening, even if you consider it idle, to kill her retainers and suitors has no personality. She has a lot of warmth, but she’s very controlling, and things get horrible once she’s out her comfort zone. Flora and Xander (viewed from the lies are a management tool perspective ) also held my interest. And I’ll admit Takumi being Takumi to the nth degree, shows how good playing tropes straight can be.

34 minutes ago, Zihark11 said:

I'm sad this community chose Camilla when there are so many better characters more deserving then some fan service with no personality or identity. 

You’re talking about the same community who voted Lif into the top 10 males. You know, that one OC who has appeared only once and has had 3 lines of dialogue none of which give us any insight into his personality whatsoever so...

Anyway, as far as Camilla goes, this always feels like such a bandwagon complaint by people who didn’t bother to look past her appearances because Camilla is definitely more than just fan service. There’s so many characters whose personality is dryer than the Sahara Desert but Camilla is surprisingly not one of them. I do agree that she’s severely held back by the pandering aspects of her though so I can understand the dislike she gets because of that.

————————————

I like Camilla but she always comes to me as a -atk unit so she almost never gets used as other options tend to overshadow her and as for her free TT version she’s just rendered completely obsolete by fellow freebie Eir.

My favorites of the bunch is her Adrift, Holiday Traveler, and Sketchy Summer versions. She just looks so beautiful outside of that hideous armor she wears in her default design or when she’s not wearing some fetish playboy outfit.

2 minutes ago, Lemmy said:

In all of Fates, where I see most characters playing tropes very straight, I consider Camilla to be the deepest by far. Her personality gets darker and more violent the deeper you go, but in no way can you say that her threatening, even if you consider it idle, to kill her retainers and suitors has no personality. She has a lot of warmth, but she’s very controlling, and things get horrible once she’s out her comfort zone. Flora and Xander (viewed from the lies are a management tool perspective ) also held my interest. And I’ll admit Takumi being Takumi to the nth degree, shows how good playing tropes straight can be.

yep and this is probably the reason I actually like camilla as a character and completely annoyed at the developers for squandering her potential in favor of jacking off the player. ugh

6 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

which I personally find to be a problem with modern anime in it of itself. Too much focus on degenerate otaku pandering and not enough focus on writing actually good stories. as the legend, miyazaki, once said himself "the reason anime suffers is because of too many otaku in the industry" 

Anyway this leads me into my problems with Camilla. She's a decent character but is held back because of how much the devs want to use her to pander to the lowest common denominator. Like shit she has probably one of the most interesting and unique backstories in the game and it's barely touched upon if at all in her supports but no time to actually flesh out and develop an interesting character let's just shove tits in their face. They'll certainly love that and not be totally annoyed and put off by it. It's a shame cause if they had fleshed her out a bit more she could've easily been one of if not the best written character in all of fates but oh well what can ya do.

It does get old after a while.  There's definitely been a shift toward pandering to weird sexual tastes of otakus/weebs in the past decade, but it's arguably given anime a bigger profile.  It's definitely present in Heroes, since big boobs, lolis, bunny girls, the summer beach, etc. all feature prominently in Heroes.  It sells.

But sometimes it can be great.  Obviously i like DxD, and I just finished Date A Live, which was one of the most enjoyable anime I've seen in a while.

10 minutes ago, Xenovia said:

It does get old after a while.  There's definitely been a shift toward pandering to weird sexual tastes of otakus/weebs in the past decade, but it's arguably given anime a bigger profile.  It's definitely present in Heroes, since big boobs, lolis, bunny girls, the summer beach, etc. all feature prominently in Heroes.  It sells.

But sometimes it can be great.  Obviously i like DxD, and I just finished Date A Live, which was one of the most enjoyable anime I've seen in a while.

I'm not saying otaku pandering is all bad. I mean generally that's the case but if that's the entire point of the show/game then fine. I mean just look at senran kagura. I have no issue with that game because it knows that it's degenerate garbage and it embraces that fact. I mean it gets to the point where it's actually pretty charming and hilarious. I just don't like it when A. there's an over saturation of said shows and B. when it's put into a place it doesn't belong or isn't self aware about it. As well as the my above mentioned reasons.

Edited by Ottservia

1 minute ago, Xenovia said:

A few of Fates's characters do feel like they were designed with weird fetishes in mind.

Obviously you have the maid girls (and by extension the entire Maid class).  Camilla feels like she has that 'mommy' thing going on.  And Forrest is a *ahem* transvestite.

But for me the most glaring one is Peri, who seems to be meant for what I can only describe as Harley Quinn fetishists.