How could Coop work in Heroes?

Arcphoenix

I've been playing a lot of Granblue lately. I love the game. One thing that really sets it apart is the cooperative aspects of the game. If it can work in a JRPG format, I'm sure it's possible somehow in a TRPG format. For anyone that's played Granblue that I'm referring mainly to Raid Battles rather than Unite and Fight. For anyone who hasn't played Granblue, this mode works by having many players fighting the same enemies. The HP bar and overdrive bar of the boss is shared but JRPG still applies. I mean you could stall but that would reduce your rewards, and if you don't even attack once you get no rewards. If everyone else is knocked out, you're the only person left anyway. Sometimes the boss will activate a special attack before getting full charge diamonds in raid battles. Coop battles are also always timed and have a limit on the number of players who can join. If you haven't played Granblue and have no idea what I'm talking about, then just don't pay my explanation any mind.

Anyway, what do you all think? Could Heroes have a cooperative mode? How?

First thing that comes to mind is something like Rival Domains/Grand Conquests, with the expanded map/team sizes, but ideally with more variety of objectives (which is something RD/GC would benefit from regardless). GC's region map being something that a decent number of players have influence over is another aspect that could serve as inspiration, but perhaps putting teams against an AI or something instead of other player teams.

On 3/3/2019 at 1:19 PM, Johann said:

First thing that comes to mind is something like Rival Domains/Grand Conquests, with the expanded map/team sizes, but ideally with more variety of objectives (which is something RD/GC would benefit from regardless). GC's region map being something that a decent number of players have influence over is another aspect that could serve as inspiration, but perhaps putting teams against an AI or something instead of other player teams.

I can see this working. Each player controlling 2-4 units and having a phase 

Direct co op wouldn't work because of the turn-based nature of the game.

Cooperative events, however, would be awesome. Take a similar framework to something like Grand Conquests, change the goal to a cooperative week-long boss slaying mission (like Formortis or Grima), and have randomly assigned teams of players work together to take nodes controlled by the boss's minions. Perhaps each node taken could also weaken the boss, allowing players to attack it directly. A successful boss kill would reward every player in the group substantially.

14 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'd add a timer to this though, just to make sure nobody takes too long. And of course, an AI failsafe if the connection is lost.

Definitely

13 hours ago, Etheus said:

Direct co op wouldn't work because of the turn-based nature of the game.

Cooperative events, however, would be awesome. Take a similar framework to something like Grand Conquests, change the goal to a cooperative week-long boss slaying mission (like Formortis or Grima), and have randomly assigned teams of players work together to take nodes controlled by the boss's minions. Perhaps each node taken could also weaken the boss, allowing players to attack it directly. A successful boss kill would reward every player in the group substantially.

The Granblue game I referenced in the OP is also turn based, so I don’t think that specifically is an issue. Though it is something that must be worked with.

That said I do find the GC idea interesting. At the same time, I feel they’d need to do more to make it its own distinct entity. I wonder how this would work though. In GC you’re against players. Would areas just be taken back over time?

6 hours ago, Arcphoenix said:

Definitely

The Granblue game I referenced in the OP is also turn based, so I don’t think that specifically is an issue. Though it is something that must be worked with.

That said I do find the GC idea interesting. At the same time, I feel they’d need to do more to make it its own distinct entity. I wonder how this would work though. In GC you’re against players. Would areas just be taken back over time?

Something like that, shown with animations of the boss attacking those areas to take them back.