Snow_Storm's Musical Works

Steven Tyler

IA lot of you guys know I'm an musician, but I haven't post any of my latest works as of yet. Well, since I'm writing a music prortfilo during my college years, I would like to share my works!

http://www.box.net/shared/3jmnaphmmn (A theme song for somebody's game I'm working on.)

http://www.box.net/shared/jlu3lp3vun (Same thing, only in MIDI format and with a full bassline.)

http://www.box.net/shared/ede7kvngs1 (A Forest Theme for a RPG game)

http://www.box.net/shared/rsq9f1tgex (A simple town theme for a game)

http://www.box.net/shared/barrpm7fsd (Another town theme)

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=B6DDCFF760DE6629 (Playlist of my original works. Ignore the last one.)

Once I'll compose and remaster more work, I shall post them here.

Oh dear. Something in the field that I'm majoring in (even if I write a completely different kind of music). This is gonna be a real treat. :D

So anyways, most of what you have isn't too bad in and of itself. I've got a general pointer, though;

A lot of your music is slow and in A minor. This is good if you specialize in that particular key, but for the listener listening to the same quality of music over and over again gets old fast. Now, there are some composers that manage to pull off writing music in the same key signature relatively well. How? They make each piece different in character.

Let's take your two town themes, for example; they have different sounds, different chord progressions, but the character you get in each piece is essentially the same. Try a little more variety; make town thee one faster; make theme 2 more of this. In any composition/performance, variety is the spice of life, so don't be afraid to delve into other kinds of characters every once in a while. Fast, playful town themes make a nice contrast to more somber ones; try throwing some of those in your portfolio and see what happens them.

Honestly? Any keys would be fine provided they're not overused. Good places to start would probably be D Major, E-flat Minor (such a beautiful key!), and B Major.

And as for myself, I don't compose with key signatures. If I ever get a halfway decent recording of some of my works, I'll post them in my own thread for sure.

Listening to your music I can totally see them in an RPG, very well done. I agree with Herr for perhaps a bit more variety in speed and other elements but none the less your work is quite superb. I'm interested to here what you'd do for a battle theme or another high energy type of theme. :D So keep up the good up buddy.

While I can't give as much of an in-depth crit as Art (Herr Wozzeck), I listen to alot of game music and play violin, so... maybe I can help.

The first song, the main theme of whatever it is you're working on, doesn't have enough of a melody to be a main theme, to be honest. The melody is passive and too fluid, and I don't think it's suited to be what it sounds like you want it to be. It's a great work, but I don't think it's suitable.

The first town theme is probably more suited for a village. I'm not sure what it is you're aiming for, but it certainly doesn't capture the feeling of liveliness and bustling citizens. It's probably more like a country-town-home feeling. Of course, if that was your goal, then it's perfect.

I don't have time to listen to the other ones, though I'll try if I get the chance.

Once again, thank you all for the feedback.

The first town theme is probably more suited for a village. I'm not sure what it is you're aiming for, but it certainly doesn't capture the feeling of liveliness and bustling citizens. It's probably more like a country-town-home feeling. Of course, if that was your goal, then it's perfect.

I never thought of it as a country-town feeling until I re-listen to the song and reflected on it. Now I do. Yeah, I can imagine like a farmer boy working in the fields during the morning time while the hero helps him get the work faster of a game while this song plays.

And yes, another violinist! (I play as well, but my "D" string popped while I was tuning it.)

Speaking of violin, I did a short somewhat somber violin melody this week. It's a part of a violin/cello duet I'm working on this week.

http://www.box.net/shared/e3rzjybsa7

Tell me what you think!

Also, I'm composing a minor average battle theme this week and I need some tips!

Honestly? Any keys would be fine provided they're not overused. Good places to start would probably be D Major, E-flat Minor (such a beautiful key!), and B Major.

And as for myself, I don't compose with key signatures. If I ever get a halfway decent recording of some of my works, I'll post them in my own thread for sure.

I'll have to agree with E-Flat Minor. But just experiment around.

Once again, thank you all for the feedback.

I never thought of it as a country-town feeling until I re-listen to the song and reflected on it. Now I do. Yeah, I can imagine like a farmer boy working in the fields during the morning time while the hero helps him get the work faster of a game while this song plays.

And yes, another violinist! (I play as well, but my "D" string popped while I was tuning it.)

Speaking of violin, I did a short somewhat somber violin melody this week. It's a part of a violin/cello duet I'm working on this week.

http://www.box.net/shared/e3rzjybsa7

Tell me what you think!

Also, I'm composing a minor average battle theme this week and I need some tips!

Hey, don't forget me! (Although, I'm more of a violist than a violinist, so yeah...)

But yeah, I don't think some of those chords you have written in the violin part are actually possible to play. (Wait, I know they're not! What am I saying?) Please tell me you'll have the cello play one of those notes!

But other than that, I really don't like to make sound judgements on pieces for multiple parts unless I have both parts with me, so I await the cello part.

Hey, don't forget me! (Although, I'm more of a violist than a violinist, so yeah...)

But yeah, I don't think some of those chords you have written in the violin part are actually possible to play. (Wait, I know they're not! What am I saying?) Please tell me you'll have the cello play one of those notes!

But other than that, I really don't like to make sound judgements on pieces for multiple parts unless I have both parts with me, so I await the cello part.

Doh!

Well, when I compose, I usually work with a keyboard or piano, so I at times, forget I'm writing for one instrument instead of piano and add chords.

Yeah, I could have the cello play the notes!

You given me an idea to do a whole piece from those chords, however!

Also, any tips for doing a battle theme?

Doh!

Well, when I compose, I usually work with a keyboard or piano, so I at times, forget I'm writing for one instrument instead of piano and add chords.

Yeah, I could have the cello play the notes!

You given me an idea to do a whole piece from those chords, however!

Also, any tips for doing a battle theme?

Good battle themes tend to be pretty fast paced. In some cases, they're actually good if they're explosive, but that'll be reserved for film scoring where musical explosions can be timed. For game scoring, something fast paced and uncertain is probably a very good idea.

To fix that idea, I'd recommend taking an instrumentation course or something. Or, I can probably send you a bunch of e-mails, seeing as how instrumentation is one of the courses I have to take as a freshman.

Good battle themes tend to be pretty fast paced. In some cases, they're actually good if they're explosive, but that'll be reserved for film scoring where musical explosions can be timed. For game scoring, something fast paced and uncertain is probably a very good idea.

To fix that idea, I'd recommend taking an instrumentation course or something. Or, I can probably send you a bunch of e-mails, seeing as how instrumentation is one of the courses I have to take as a freshman.

So, you're doing film scoring. Cool! Maybe I could learn a little from your side of the town of composing!

When you're composing for cutscenes, I see using explosive as a way to go.

So, you're doing film scoring. Cool! Maybe I could learn a little from your side of the town of composing!

When you're composing for cutscenes, I see using explosive as a way to go.

Actually, I'm not doing film scoring, but I have a basic understanding of how it works.

I compose more for concert/recital hall activities, actually; very different fields, the two of them.

Yeah, explosive works for cutscenes.

Although I do not have much music knowledge, I'm sure my feedback will prove to be somewhat useful?

I think your best work was the forest themes. It was the only one I could imagine a specific imagery...a forest. As for James' Theme's melody, it was not fluent, the notes go together very choppily and, therefore, falls rather flat to the listener. That seemed to be the issue with the other works you had. A song sounds good when there is a certain melody that one can easily follow with the addition the melody's harmonizing counterpart to give a song a finish feeling.