Does Anyone Know The Exact Quote I'm Referring To?

I recall hearing one statement that I really liked, but I don't remember who said it or the precise wording of it. Does anyone happen to know what it is?

It went something like "God, may I always try to do good. ... And God, may I always be able to tell the difference between the two [good and evil].".

I have a vague idea it might have been an English writer, or at least a European from the Early Modern Period (1492-1789). But I forget who exactly.

The reason I want to remember the quote is because, although I know nothing of the context around it, by itself the quip drew me in. It sounded as though it was statement of humility.

And it is something I extrapolated as leaving one to think that they might not be so "in the right" in the course of events, that one's views might have seemed right in to them and others at a given time, but which from an objectively more correct vantage point, would be found flawed and wrong in some way(s).

• An expression suited for someone say in a political role who had to juggle conflicting and competing interests and goals each with merit. The person has the intent of just doing good for all, but could tell they could easily get things wrong. And thus, the person, if they invoked the statement I think I'm thinking of, accepts their possibility of having failed despite their good intentions, whilst asking in a way for forgiveness for their mistakes.

I'm not a religious person, but the invocation of God was in a way irrelevant here I felt. It was just asking some intelligent third party to judge them properly, inserting the word "History" instead of God would kept most of the meaning essentially intact.

My ma had a quote like this hanging in the bathroom. Asked her to take a pic. It was:

"God grant me the serenity to accept those things I cannot change, the courage to change those things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

According to Google this is the Serenity Prayer. Not a reformation era piece but maybe the thing you heard?

I have another hanging in my own bedroom. Not as God-y, but I always liked it: "Do It Now. I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore - that I can do or any kindness I can show - to any fellow human being let me do it now - Let me - not defer nor neglect it - for I shall not pass this way again."

Edited by Glennstavos

12 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

My ma had a quote like this hanging in the bathroom. Asked her to take a pic. It was:

"God grant me the serenity to accept those things I cannot change, the courage to change those things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

According to Google this is the Serenity Prayer. Not a reformation era piece but maybe the thing you heard?

I have another hanging in my own bedroom. Not as God-y, but I always liked it: "Do It Now. I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore - that I can do or any kindness I can show - to any fellow human being let me do it now - Let me - not defer nor neglect it - for I shall not pass this way again."

It could be, in which case, my memory was really poor then.😵 Since none of the meaning I extrapolated was there then, even if the humility I recalled remains. 

Thank you I guess then? -If this is the right quote.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

10 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It could be, in which case, my memory was really poor then.😵 Since none of the meaning I extrapolated was there then, even if the humility I recalled remains. 

Thank you I guess then? -If this is the right quote.

Don't beat yourself up about it. You're not the first or last to extrapolate waaaaay too much from a biblical quote. But it's not a bad one to have stuck in the mind. According to Wikipedia they use a version of the prayer in Alcoholics Anonymous and other twelve step programs. Inspiring!